Sondheim's Evening Primrose?

Thanks for the replies. Interesting that Sweeney Todd dominates though I suppose that makes sense from a thematic sense (dark, brooding, psychotic, etc.) - all the things needed to be edgy/dramatic. Curious, though, that out of all his other work it appears only A Little Night Music and Sunday have been used. Seems strange to have an American composer as prolific/skilled as him be so under-used, especially when you consider how often themes/music are recycled.

Thanks for the replies. Interesting that Sweeney Todd dominates though I suppose that makes sense from a thematic sense (dark, brooding, psychotic, etc.) - all the things needed to be edgy/dramatic. Curious, though, that out of all his other work it appears only A Little Night Music and Sunday have been used. Seems strange to have an American composer as prolific/skilled as him be so under-used, especially when you consider how often themes/music are recycled.

I think the Crossmen did "Children Will Listen" from Into the Woods at some point. Maybe 1994?

• Like 1

The end of the first act of Sunday in the Park With George is one of the most moving and powerful pieces of music ever written for the theatre (IMO). It would be great to hear it blown out of the "park" with brass.

"Sweeney Todd" makes a great show...I arranged music from it twice for the band I work with in 2003 and 2011 ("Not While I'm Around" made a GREAT solo cello feature in our 2011 show).

Of course, from a drum corps perspective, esp DCI....what BETTER piece is there EVER than "Send in the Clowns" from "A Little Night Music"!!!!!

• 3 years later...
On 7/15/2014 at 2:41 PM, Rufus67 said:

Just wondering if any corps has ever done this little-known set of Sondheim compositions. Had my shuffle going this morning and Take Me To The World with Mandy Patinkin and Bernadette Peters came on. That got me thinking the music has a bit of everything and just wondered if it was challenging/engaging enough to work as a show concept. Any answer welcome but particularly interested in folks who know about musical books and whether or not this would translate to the field.

Bump to give you credit.  I picked up that Patinkin/Peters album when it came out in 1990 and have always loved "Take Me to the World", and wanted to hear it as a brass ballad (I think I started an arrangement of it once, but I'm nobody).  Don't think there's enough meat to make a whole show, but "If You Can Find Me, I'm Here" might work for an opener [especially if you listen to the brassy Patinkin/Peters version, as opposed the tepid Harris/McCarthy recording].