Secaucas Predictions...(someone had to do it :)...)

I attended both the Wayne & Secaucus show. I had Cabs over Reading both nights. I did think that Reading was much improved last night and that the scores would be much tighter instead of wider spread.

Both corps have completely different styles. Reading litteraly flat out runs during the entire show. Cabs do alot of "park & play" that allows them to blow the house down. Kind of like comparing last year's Cadets to Madison Scouts. While being a Buc's alum, I liked Madison's style much more than Cadets. Just my opinnion, not that of management.

I've been holding this in for a few weeks now, but I just feel I have to put in my "two cents' worth." A pet-peeve, if you will:

I enjoy the entertainment value of all the show reviewers and analysts on these threads. What puzzles me is that some are by folks who are hundreds of miles from the contest site and who haven't seen any of these corps live. In some cases, it's been years. I've been at all five of the NY/NJ/CT DCA shows, but only one as a spectator (Bridgeport). Because I was preparing for our own exhibition performance, I've been unable to watch most of the corps at four of them. I feel unqualified to comment on anyone's performance and it would be unfair because I didn't actually witness the corps' performance, even though I was there. I find the "long-distance analyses" of scores and captions interesting and sometimes amusing, given that the writers often have not seen the corps in person.

That being said, I truly respect and enjoy Kamaraq's and Big W's competent and knowledegeable reviews. They are there at the contests and are giving first-hand, first-rate commentary and analysis. I also enjoyed Truman's Bayonne review, especially for his inclusion of the photographs. Thank you, gentlemen! Please continue to do what you do so well from the contest sites.

Edited by cabalumnidrummer
  • Like 2

That being said, I truly respect and enjoy Kamaraq's and Big W's competent and knowledegeable reviews. They are there at the contests and are giving first-hand, first-rate commentary and analysis. I also enjoyed Truman's Bayonne review, especially for his inclusion of the photographs. Thank you, gentlemen! Please continue to do what you do so well from the contest sites.

Thanks for the feedback. My next show won't be for a while, as I'm going on an eight day Caribbean cruise this week (missing the Downingtown show which is literally 2 miles from my house). I *may* go to Kingston...not sure yet. I will be at Lawrence, Scranton, and Reading for sure, and of course Rochester.

• Like 1

John, I'm seriously humbled. I just want the performers to know people appreciate what they do and how hard they work to make it all happen.

Was that you conducting the Cabs Alumni in the opener at the Grand Prix? I haven't gotten that far, but the Drum Major team was **really** professional. The little details like the Drum Majors bring to the performance as well as the Main Guard/American Flag unit bring more than I think some people realize to the Cabs Alumni experience.

• Like 2

Talking about drum majors ,i would have to ask about Jimmy Russo ? have not seen or heard a word about him in so time .I hope all is well with him .Thank You

John, I'm seriously humbled. I just want the performers to know people appreciate what they do and how hard they work to make it all happen.

Was that you conducting the Cabs Alumni in the opener at the Grand Prix? I haven't gotten that far, but the Drum Major team was **really** professional. The little details like the Drum Majors bring to the performance as well as the Main Guard/American Flag unit bring more than I think some people realize to the Cabs Alumni experience.

No, that wasn't me, Big W, but thanks for the compliment! (I wish i were that tall!) I'm the short guy in the middle of the Cabs Alumni snareline, still marching and playing as long as the legs and back hold out. I only 'conduct' the drum section at rehearsals.

The drum major who starts the corps is Chuck Bishop, Tyrone Laval conducts the concert, and Tom Ashby leads us in other segments of the show. All three are doing a great job on the field. Jim Russo is not with us this year, having decided to take some time off. Fran Lauritano is leading the American Section this year, and she does an outstanding job as well.

I hope I get to meet both you and John Adcock at some point before the season is over, perhaps at the either the Kingston or Scranton shows, or even in Rochester. You'll have to come over and introduce yourselves, since I don't know what either of you look like!

Edited by cabalumnidrummer
  • Like 1

Thanks for the up date on Jim ,i knew it was Chuck Bishop in front of the corps ,such a good major ,nice style carrys him self well .Right up there with Silverbrand ,two great majors of our time .

• Like 1

I've been holding this in for a few weeks now, but I just feel I have to put in my "two cents' worth." A pet-peeve, if you will:

I enjoy the entertainment value of all the show reviewers and analysts on these threads. What puzzles me is that some are by folks who are hundreds of miles from the contest site and who haven't seen any of these corps live. In some cases, it's been years. I've been at all five of the NY/NJ/CT DCA shows, but only one as a spectator (Bridgeport). Because I was preparing for our own exhibition performance, I've been unable to watch most of the corps at four of them. I feel unqualified to comment on anyone's performance and it would be unfair because I didn't actually witness the corps' performance, even though I was there. I find the "long-distance analyses" of scores and captions interesting and sometimes amusing, given that the writers often have not seen the corps in person.

well john i guess that we should just fold up our tents and all go home then............LOL. ya know i'm kidding.

>>

so andy since you were there give us a sane analysis of the corps. this thread went like many others..........down the rabbit hole. insults and who was right and wrong. so what did it look like to you?

<<

Naahh ... my comments would be meaningless ... it was a very nice show ... it was an enthusiastic crowd ... I really didn't see anyone's full performance because I was preparing the script for the next corps ... what I did see and hear though is that corps seemed "tired" ... stamina seemed to be an issue for many ... more "air" going through the horns than sound ... and more drill lapses in the late stages of the production ... there were just not enough "impact" moments for my liking ... I cannot comment on the scores because I am not qualified to ... I just don't know how corps are scored on today's sheets ... all the placements seemed correct ...

A lot of people did give me an instant critique of my announcing though ... some suggested that my false teeth need some adjusting ... some suggested that I should have brought my cooler to the press box ... others were gracious and asked me if I knew Wes Hobby ... hmmmm ... guess I have some stuff to work on myself ...

I will say that I was impressed by the DCA judges and how they used the electronic gizmos they use to record their comments ... and the proficiency they have in collecting them all, handing out the next round and Glen Johnson uploading them to the laptop and working fast (and really hard) to get the numbers into the system ... nothing like the old days of Mickey and his mimeograph machine ... ahhh ... the smell of that purple ink ...

I hope the Kiwanis Club made a profit from the food and the 50/50 and ticket sales ... I hope the souvie tables for all the corps and DCA did well ...

:-)

Edited by ajlisko
  • Like 1