Secaucas Predictions...(someone had to do it :)...)

Cabs won excellence...not composition. Performing an easier visual package allowed them to edge bucs...won't be the same outcome when bucs are performing up to the level of the composition. It also should say something that bucs won brass performing a harder visual package. What does this mean 4 weeks down the line when they are even stronger with the show? Look out DCA!

Well, you need to take your own medicine then. Bucs won brass playing a *substantially* easier brass book, and got beat in music ensemble. Again, harder doesn't mean better. Also, content on the sheet doesn't mean harder either.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 1

All of these Bucs fans are seriously butt hurt that their team finally lost. You're only really hurting the Bucs image by making excuses.

- "Oh it was the long bus rides" which never stopped them from winning before

- "They didn't get to practice much on Sunday". All they've done the last month is practice

- "Cabs don't move" I'm sure I'm just imagining the sweat and panting members as they trooped the stands because why would they be tired if all the did was stand still. Plus I'm imagining all the drill I watched with choreographed dance moves since Wildwood

- "Cabs have an easier visual program" While that may or may not be the case, how is that any different than any other year?

The simple fact is the Cabs are beating the Bucs (for now, who knows what the season will bring). It's not like they're wrongly being awarded points they didn't earn.

"Win like a Champion, lose like a Champion"

Edited by DCAfan85
  • Like 3

I attended both the Wayne & Secaucus show. I had Cabs over Reading both nights. I did think that Reading was much improved last night and that the scores would be much tighter instead of wider spread.

Looking at the recaps, it looks like Reading WAS much improved, especially in the Music Ensemble caption that seemed to cause an uproar last week. The change in spread in that caption alone made up for slight Cabs increases in Guard, Visual Ensemble, and Music Effect and more. Reading also closed the gap in Communication and overtook Cabs in Brass. The biggest advantage that the Cabs got in Secaucus was a much closer spread in drums, which was expected after the massive gap in Wayne.

Being an obvious homer for the corps I am currently marching in, my overall thoughts are as such: despite the overall gap widening this weekend, it's more likely that the Bucs are actually catching up rather than falling behind, and that the overall gap in Wayne probably should have been wider.

EDIT: Also, IMHO, having a harder book just means that when it cleans up, it will be more impressive and certainly score higher. We will see what happens when we go head to head with them again in Scranton.

Edited by MotoSurfBass

"Win like a Champion, lose like a Champion"

Well, in all seriousness it's not anyone at Bucs, members of staff, making excuses. Knowing them like I do I'd be absolutely shocked if anyone there ever did. Same goes for the folks at Cabs when they weren't so hot.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 3

Looking at the recaps, it looks like Reading WAS much improved, especially in the Music Ensemble caption that seemed to cause an uproar last week. The change in spread in that caption alone made up for slight Cabs increases in Guard, Visual Ensemble, and Music Effect and more. Reading also closed the gap in Communication and overtook Cabs in Brass. The biggest advantage that the Cabs got in Secaucus was a much closer spread in drums, which was expected after the massive gap in Wayne.

Being an obvious homer for the corps I am currently marching in, my overall thoughts are as such: despite the overall gap widening this weekend, it's more likely that the Bucs are actually catching up rather than falling behind, and that the overall gap in Wayne probably should have been wider.

EDIT: Also, IMHO, having a harder book just means that when it cleans up, it will be more impressive and certainly score higher. We will see what happens when we go head to head with them again in Scranton.

Your first paragraph illustrates why you can't put too much stock in the results of a single show. Since I wasn't there on Saturday, I can't comment on if I felt those were accurate numbers or if they were an aberration. As for your edit comment, harder doesn't necessarily mean better, even when achieved. Only better means better. Crap that's hard and performed well is still crap. We've seen both from many corps over the years.

• Like 1

Well, in all seriousness it's not anyone at Bucs, members of staff, making excuses. Knowing them like I do I'd be absolutely shocked if anyone there ever did. Same goes for the folks at Cabs when they weren't so hot.

I know it's not anyone with the corps. I'm sure they know better than to come on here and read the nonsense people prance around as fact

I wouldn't put much stock on who won each sub caption at any given show as it pertains to the outcome of the season. Cabs won brass in Wayne and lost by a very slight margin last night. My guess is these two groups will swap captions like this for the rest of the season as they both have competitive books. If one team goes out and has a fantastic night, and the other team is off a tiny bit, that doesn't mean their season is done in that one sub caption. I think the Percussion scores will keep the Bucs competitive all the way to the end in the same manner that the GE scores will benefit the Cabs down the stretch. As I've been saying all year, this is going to be an exciting season for the fans. I have always refrained from looking at one night of scores and saying "Well they are catching up here, or boy they opened the gap here". Each night is entirely subjective from both the judging panel, and the performers as well.

I will say this though... irregardless of the team I root for, this is not the same Bucs we have seen over the last 10 years, nor is it the same Cabs. All pre-conceived notions, other than the level of professionalism, need to be tossed out the window. Each team can take any sub caption in the end, they are both at that level.

Edited by irishbugle
  • Like 1

Cabs won excellence...not composition. Performing an easier visual package allowed them to edge bucs...won't be the same outcome when bucs are performing up to the level of the composition. It also should say something that bucs won brass performing a harder visual package. What does this mean 4 weeks down the line when they are even stronger with the show? Look out DCA!

Had you been at the show and the previous ones and not try to impose an unrealistic comparison between Bucs and Cabs, you'd understand the numbers that were given? Bucs while they did show improvement. They still have the same ensemble problems they did in Wayne. In fact they had others that were not seen in Wayne. Cabs had some issues in their opener that they never had before. Uncharacteristic of previous performances. However it is so minute it's highly unlikely a sign of any weakness or program flaw. There were vast improvements in Cabs percussion clearly evident from last week. And the guard was in my opinion leaps better. Other than the issue in the opener, the brass still was brilliant.

Not sure what you equate to a "harder" visual package. There is such a thing as writing over the abilities of the performer. Just because you can write a lot of fast drill doesn't mean it's effective or smart. Ironically it was Cabs Achilles heel for the passed several years.

The slight edge Bucs had over Cabs in brass was nothing of concern and I'm confident they won't have that problem again. Cabs haf a hiccup and nothing more. However bucs have a lot on their plate that needs to be fixed. If they can overcome those obstacles than I'd consider them a true threat.

I wouldn't put much stock on who won each sub caption at any given show as it pertains to the outcome of the season. Cabs won brass in Wayne and lost by a very slight margin last night. My guess is these two groups will swap captions like this for the rest of the season as they both have competitive books. If one team goes out and has a fantastic night, and the other team is off a tiny bit, that doesn't mean their season is done in that one sub caption. I think the Percussion scores will keep the Bucs competitive all the way to the end in the same manner that the GE scores will benefit the Cabs down the stretch. As I've been saying all year, this is going to be an exciting season for the fans. I have always refrained from looking at one night of scores and saying "Well they are catching up here, or boy they opened the gap here". Each night is entirely subjective from both the judging panel, and the performers as well.

I will say this though... irregardless of the team I root for, this is not the same Bucs we have seen over the last 10 years, nor is it the same Cabs. All pre-conceived notions, other than the level of professionalism, need to be tossed out the window. Each team can take any sub caption in the end, they are both at that level.

The fun part is that it is not just these two teams with a legit shot here. MBI has only been seen out west and have been looking/sounding solid on tape. Fusion is less than three back. C2 with its historic "late season improvement" can make up a sizeable margin. CV is not so far back and has the show to make a charge.

We have a potential SIX corps where that have a somewhat realistic chance of claiming gold. When was the last time THAT happened in DCA?

This is true. MBI is still the dark horse. What seems questionable to me though Carolina Gold is within a point of MBI. I know separate shows.. different judges. But their performances are only 8 days apart. The value of the scores don't seem equal. A performance earnimg 75 in Minnesota should be at least equal to a 75 in Virgina or where ever the other show was. It's curious to say the least. I'm certain that MBI is closer go to Cabs and Bucs.