Secaucas Predictions...(someone had to do it :)...)

Not calling anyone out for that. That's the whole point of a discussion board for a competitive activity. I was just kind of agreeing with others on this thread that you seem to get overly aggressive in replying to people who see things differently. That drives people away from participating. But, of course you're free to continue to comment anyway you want. Some people thrive on stoking the flames.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Understand this...I'm not countering people, just their arguments (again, in the logical definition of the word). That's what *discussion* is all about. There's nothing you or I can do about it if some people take discussion personally. It's a lot like rewarding mediocrity, or dealing with over-sensitive parents...any educator will likely agree. Maybe we should coin a new term..."helicopter fan", one who takes offense to anything even remotely different that complete gushing praise.

I'll never challenge someone's opinion of a show, i.e. "I like Corps X". I think that's awesome. But it's perfectly fine to challenge "Corps X does Y and Z well or A and B bad." Just back the opinion or defense up. It's not hard. Heck, I love it when people challenge my assertions when they use logic and reason to do so. It's awesome.

I said it before: If all you want is Rainbows & Unicorns, you're probably not going to like much you read here on DCP. Heck, it's *far* worse on the DCI board. You (and I mean the general you, not specific DCC you) might be better off jsut reading Drum Corps World if all you want is soupy, "every corps is wonderful" show reviews or commentary. Heck, does DCW even have show reviews anymore? I haven't read it since it went digital.

Edited by Kamarag

Now, to get back to talking about the Secaucus show and the corps...

It's pretty cool that both corps are taking one of the next two weeks off (Cabs this week, Reading next week). They both have a show on the week they are in, and meet again in Lawrence in three weeks. I love that they are each getting a break. The timing is excellent.

Is Fusion taking a weekend off anytime soon?

Fusion is performing at Disney this week.

• Like 1

I hope so, John. The unfortunate truth is that DCA corps are geographically fragmented. That puts a lot of pressure on the judges to place them correctly in the finals.

In my 35+ years of experience I've witnessed both brilliant triumphs and horrifying tragedies in DCA. (YouTube: 1987 MBI shut out of the top 10! Really?) I don't think that level of blatant discrimination exists anymore. But I maintain it will be difficult to place MBI (Or the Renegades if they ever come back) among the top contenders without them participating in regular season (aka Eastern) shows.

I'll disagree and recent history has proven this.

DCA sends people who have seen other corps from the East to those shows. It's not just relying on the DCi guys, you're seeing folks who have been around the circuit all season. No, this didn't happen in the past, but it happens now, and this helps get MBI, Govies etc to be seen by people who understand the DCA linear and what's going on. DCI has had many judges that do both circuits, and know the sheets well, though this year, DCI has seen an influx of new faces who may not know both sheets that well yet.

• Like 2

This is true. MBI is still the dark horse. What seems questionable to me though Carolina Gold is within a point of MBI. I know separate shows.. different judges. But their performances are only 8 days apart. The value of the scores don't seem equal. A performance earnimg 75 in Minnesota should be at least equal to a 75 in Virgina or where ever the other show was. It's curious to say the least. I'm certain that MBI is closer go to Cabs and Bucs.

Gold was DCA judges who know the DCA sheets. MBI was DCI judges, many new, who may not totally know the sheets. I wouldn't put anything into MBI's numbers until the DCA judges start hopping planes to MN in a few weeks

• Like 1

Well, according to John, Reading's crap will be crap whether it's performed well or not and their choice to do challenging drill is stupid an ineffective. It's nice to see that one can remain objective once one's wife...also a Bucs alumni...is on Cabs' staff. Regardless of who you're talking about, that's not objective analysis...it's just insulting. I'm sure Reading is glad to have you among their ranks of alumni...as would any other corps. Why don't you just don the kick pleats and silky blouse...get it over with and call it a day.? I also find it sad that you've become so arrogant that you have to belittle and insult anyone that has an opinion different than yours. Sadly, that seems to be the accepted form of dialogue on this site

While at times over the years I love to see John get abused :tounge2: , I'm going to call shenanigans.

yeah she teaches Cabs. yeah he's an alumnus of Bucs. But John doesn't pull punches and at times has even been critical of his beloved Blue Devils.

I'm not saying he's right or wrong, I haven't seen either corps...I'll see Bucs this week and both on 8/23.....but to call John biased is pure unadulterated ########. I may not always agree with John (BD 2008-2013), but he calls like it like he sees it, and anytime my bands received a tape from him, I took his tape apart word by word not to skewer him in critique, but to help make my band better.

• Like 3

ok, so I kinda jested about this on Facebook earlier today, but here we go:

I love how a ton of people who weren't at a show, and even better, have no clue about how judging works love to over analyze the judging numbers.

So, to take all of the sniping out of this I'll lay it out for you:

Cabs have 2 weeks in a row beaten Bucs. Congrats to Cabs can't wait to see you 8/23!

Bucs are surely working their tails off, can't wait to see you Saturday!

MBI hasn't had a read from DCA judges yet. Who knows??

Fusion keeps scoring high, thrilling many!

CV came up north, had a good run and thrilled fans! Awesome!

C2 is still filling holes, cleaning etc, so who knows where they land by the end! YES!!

Whats this mean?

it's July ####### 21st. We have over a month to go. Everyone is cleaning, tweaking, adding. redoing you name it. Some corps are taking a week off which is not a bad thing. Even better...DCA has a competitive year! For the last few years it's either been Bucs all alone, Bucs and MBI, or Bucs, with MBI, Empire and/or Cabs within shouting distance but not quite.

yet people are #####ing!!! YOu can't please drum corps fans! I swear to God....how long have people railed on here about Bucs dominance ( and deserved), and prayed for someone to make a run, which MBI did, or for Cabs or Empire or someone else or several someone elses to join the party?

And now we have it...and people #####.

No wonder DCP gets the rep it does.

No, I'm not asking for rainbows and unicorns, and if you've read my reviews you know you wont get them.

But I also sure as hell understand the judging game, with a decent amount of knowledge of the sheets and the criteria. Sad to say some of the biggest complainers don't.

• Like 4

Wait, what? That's cool. I'm surprised it's so under the radar. I knew a few Fusion folks were down there based on Facebook posts....had no idea it was the whole corps.

Those who could go. :) they are doing the parade there tomorrow I think.

Yes we all know that it's only July. But, The Cabs have only 4 shows left before Rochester and the Bucs have only 3 shows left before Rochester. I think it's getting late pretty early. :tounge2: Gee, just the other day it was February :wow:

• Like 2