Secaucas Predictions...(someone had to do it :)...)

well if the crowd eats like i do at a contest ,then they made plenty of money ,LOL

well if the crowd eats like i do at a contest ,then they made plenty of money ,LOL

are ya saying what i think you are saying?

I attended both the Wayne & Secaucus show. I had Cabs over Reading both nights. I did think that Reading was much improved last night and that the scores would be much tighter instead of wider spread.

Both corps have completely different styles. Reading litteraly flat out runs during the entire show. Cabs do alot of "park & play" that allows them to blow the house down. Kind of like comparing last year's Cadets to Madison Scouts. While being a Buc's alum, I liked Madison's style much more than Cadets. Just my opinnion, not that of management.

Understanding of course that even Madison moves more than Cabs. And this is not necessarily a bad thing, 'cause I always thought that perhaps the Cabs moved a little TOO much in recent years. But if you put out a program like that in DCI you would have your head handed to you.

Who won Brass last night?

I attended both the Wayne & Secaucus show. I had Cabs over Reading both nights. I did think that Reading was much improved last night and that the scores would be much tighter instead of wider spread.

Both corps have completely different styles. Reading litteraly flat out runs during the entire show. Cabs do alot of "park & play" that allows them to blow the house down. Kind of like comparing last year's Cadets to Madison Scouts. While being a Buc's alum, I liked Madison's style much more than Cadets. Just my opinnion, not that of management.

Ummm Cabs don't park and play except the one salsa part that I remember. Unless of course they changed their drill since last weekend when I watched the fan network. They always seem to be moving

• Like 1

Thanks

Going to be an interesting season

Ummm Cabs don't park and play except the one salsa part that I remember. Unless of course they changed their drill since last weekend when I watched the fan network. They always seem to be moving

They are basically stationary from minute 8 thru minute 12 of their program.

They are basically stationary from minute 8 thru minute 12 of their program.

That's ridiculous, and completely wrong.

Even if you were partially right, I'm pretty familiar with the DCA rules and sheets, and I can't for the life of me see where you need to move all the time.The key word is *variety*. Moving at two speeds...fast and ballad...isn't displaying a variety of skills, or a variety of tempos, or musical styles. It's actually pretty dang boring. Moving fast for the sake of moving fast isn't anywhere near as difficult as it's made out to be. Not even close.

Now, I was not at the show last night, but I was there last week and at Wildwood. I have multiple reads on most shows. I will agree (and have commented on it) that Cabs are missing good movement opportunities in two spots...one just before the company front (the crazy top to bottom brass lick) where they were standing still. Adding *musical* body work would check the simultaneous responsibility box there....moving in fast drill there wouldn't make musical sense. The other is the last minute or so of ending drill. It's compressed and doesn't reflect the velocity in the musical book. They *need* to rewrite that, and I'm sure they are smart enough to realize that.

At the same time, Bucs have several spots where they are moving just for the sake of moving. It's either not musical, or contributes little to the effect they are trying to generate. Again, variety...in this case variety of effect.

This idea that the hardest show wins is absurd to the point of stupid. It is also compounded by the fact that you are not rewarded for the attempt...only for achievement (there are some DCA judges who are fooled by this, which is a topic for a whole thread, TBH). When all you do is move fast, is that really effective or demanding?

Displaying a variety of skills is important. Display one, move on to the next, and so on. Beating the audience over the head with one or two for eleven minutes, no matter how hard, is bad and ineffective design.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 2