Secaucas Predictions...(someone had to do it :)...)

Are we watching the same show?

Its possible that you may not be. Remember, Cabs have a uniform change half way through, that could be throwing you off.

There is a difference between Choreographed moments, and complete stationary time. In most of the "Standing still" moments throughout their program, they have some really well designed choreography that challenges the performer and adds a great deal of variety. If there are still moments in the show that are not impacting enough, I'm sure their staff and admin has a plan. Based on what they are doing so far this season and what they have achieved so far, I'm sure they know what they are doing.

Edited by irishbugle
  • Like 2

Are we watching the same show?

I have no idea what you're watching. I've seen them both live twice and on video a couple of times, and I've watched both corps in rehearsal.

I'll even give you one more example from Bucs show, this one of good, though deceptive design. They do the "Cadets fake-out" move. Late in the show they have a mello feature where the mellos park completely, while the baritones (not playing) do the high velocity drill. At a glance, you think it's the mellos moving, but they aren't. But there's still velocity on the field that makes musical sense.

Hard? Nope, not at all. Effective? Certainly.

• Like 2

That's ridiculous, and completely wrong.

Even if you were partially right, I'm pretty familiar with the DCA rules and sheets, and I can't for the life of me see where you need to move all the time.The key word is *variety*. Moving at two speeds...fast and ballad...isn't displaying a variety of skills, or a variety of tempos, or musical styles. It's actually pretty dang boring. Moving fast for the sake of moving fast isn't anywhere near as difficult as it's made out to be. Not even close.

Now, I was not at the show last night, but I was there last week and at Wildwood. I have multiple reads on most shows. I will agree (and have commented on it) that Cabs are missing good movement opportunities in two spots...one just before the company front (the crazy top to bottom brass lick) where they were standing still. Adding *musical* body work would check the simultaneous responsibility box there....moving in fast drill there wouldn't make musical sense. The other is the last minute or so of ending drill. It's compressed and doesn't reflect the velocity in the musical book. They *need* to rewrite that, and I'm sure they are smart enough to realize that.

At the same time, Bucs have several spots where they are moving just for the sake of moving. It's either not musical, or contributes little to the effect they are trying to generate. Again, variety...in this case variety of effect.

This idea that the hardest show wins is absurd to the point of stupid. It is also compounded by the fact that you are not rewarded for the attempt...only for achievement (there are some DCA judges who are fooled by this, which is a topic for a whole thread, TBH). When all you do is move fast, is that really effective or demanding?

Displaying a variety of skills is important. Display one, move on to the next, and so on. Beating the audience over the head with one or two for eleven minutes, no matter how hard, is bad and ineffective design.

Agreed! There was a section in Buc's show that could have been performed and marched at a slow and effective tempo. The tempo change would have created a dramatic contrast.This would also have given the horn line a much needed breather. That show is like running a 12 minute marathon.

I have to agree with voreason...cabs bring all musical excitement, but there is no visual excitement backing it up. I can get the same excitement by going to a wind ensemble concert at the local high school... Just my 2 cents

• Like 1

I have to agree with voreason...cabs bring all musical excitement, but there is no visual excitement backing it up. I can get the same excitement by going to a wind ensemble concert at the local high school... Just my 2 cents

Well, the visual effect, visual ensemble, and color guard judges seem to disagree with you. And for all the reasons I've stated above.

• Like 1

The same judges who have had Bucs winning visual over the passed several years are seeing a different show than you since Cabs have won visual all season.

• Like 2

The same judges who have had Bucs winning visual over the passed several years are seeing a different show than you since Cabs have won visual all season.

Cabs won excellence...not composition. Performing an easier visual package allowed them to edge bucs...won't be the same outcome when bucs are performing up to the level of the composition. It also should say something that bucs won brass performing a harder visual package. What does this mean 4 weeks down the line when they are even stronger with the show? Look out DCA!

Not sure what your thinking here ,i'm 5'11 33w 184 but i eat for 2 or 3 burn it off walking .

are ya saying what i think you are saying?