(Un)sanitary conditions

has anyone considered that maybe blue stars decided to give the members a full day of rest to recover instead of marching a few holes and slowing everyone's recovery?

so maybe it's just an ordinary viral infection and not the plague...

btw the 2009 plague stuck with kids for several weeks at a time -- it was not just a normal virus.

on the list of things that i would change:

food trucks would send all water through a proper filter system that includes UV. some of the water kids drink at housing sites is down right scary. not much of an investment for a big payoff in both safety and quality.

I think that is very likely, but from the sounds of it, there would have been a LOT of holes. Very smart move to give them the extra down time which hopefully will ensure they are good to go for San Antonio.

on the list of things that i would change:

food trucks would send all water through a proper filter system that includes UV. some of the water kids drink at housing sites is down right scary.

Ah yes, the infamous Louisiana "green tea" water comes to mind here. We had to convince ourselves our jugs were full of "green tea" and not water that looked putrid in order to drink it.

You can't even trust BOTTLED water. Back in '86 Phantom Regiment had to pull out of the Stillwater, MN show when dozens of their members got sick from bottled water they bought in Wisconsin.

I was their it was from contaminated spaghetti sauce that was not properly refrigerated. I was not the cook at that time. The next year our food truck was built as a result.

When driving at night we used to station a member on a rotating basis to sit on a water cooler up near the bus driver to chat with him in order to keep him awake and alert. Talk about the good ol' days!!!!

Dang computer Yes Mike Davis, we did the same thing. We faked colds to get orange juice in the cooler and added vodka. We cooked on steno stoves in the back of the bus and never got sick