San Antonio Regional

Makes no sense...why wouldn't that judge just stand right in front of the pit or in the first few rows? Regardless, the 2nd box judge had very little resolution vs. the on-field judge. So the box judge just did what made sense -- score based on prior numbers. Judge 1 however heard that Coats' drum line had the best show of their year so far. Just watch the shows back. Coats took percussion IMHO.

Or maybe, just maybe, he called the show he heard and saw. That particular judge is not one that would ever base his scores "on prior numbers". Either way, you know little about how judging works. That much is certain, despite it being explained to you by multiple knowledgeable people.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 2

It's been fun reading the hundreds of comments from last night. I was traveling all day and did not get to watch via FN. I will later today if the videos are posted.

I wasn't too shocked by scores or placements. The top 5 are all strong. 5th place corps won the title last year, and despite some negative opinion on the show, most people still like it and it's a pretty solid contender for a medal (although maybe not the title). SCV has been cleaning a lot over the weeks and what I saw from them on FN a few days ago was stellar. Bluecoats are HOT, once again (after a few rough shows), but they need to keep pushing. I believe they have a new ending that will debut very soon. Both Crown and SCV can catch them, but I am pulling for Bloooo. They could catch Cadets, but that might prove to be more difficult, and even more difficult yet to catch BD.

BUT...that's why they compete. Who knows? This is certainly fun.

Seems like a clear separation between Crown and Cavaliers. Although Cavies will clean more and polish, I don't see the spread changing...or at least I don't think it should. I kind of see Phantom getting closer to Cavaliers with a strong surge.

Can't wait to see Blue Knights live. I am in LOVE with this show on FN.

LOVE Crossmen as well!!! I like Boston, and the performance levels are wonderful, but the show leaves me somewhat flat. Plan to watch Troopers again. I really dug their show early on, have not seen a recent FN clip in a while. Need to catch up.

• Like 1

I'll have to go back and check that out. It's not coming to mind, good or bad.

Also kinda like the BD snare feature on the front field platform...need a sign that says.."and now, here is the snare line for your pleasure".....a little awkward in relation to what comes before and after.

Bluecoats are HOT, once again (after a few rough shows), but they need to keep pushing. I believe they have a new ending that will debut very soon.

I know, and I want them to delay until Massillon. It's all about momentum! You want that big upgrade to go in quarterfinals (or few days before, e.g. Massillon) ideally.

Well, being electric, they can make it sound like whatever they want. If I was playing it, I'd use a viola too because I have big hands and long fingers :)

true... but low mid-rangy notes are a good dark start.

Or maybe, just maybe, he called the show he heard and saw. That particular judge is not one that would ever base his scores "on prior numbers". Either way, you know little about how judging works. That much is certain, despite it being explained to you by multiple knowledgeable people.

Look, I love BD. I hung out with them (alumni) already at the Stanford show. Let's just wait and see what happens, eh? Would I love to have the talent that BD has play TILT this year? I don't know. I kinda like the underdog.

Also...I wanted to say a few things regarding demand.

I saw a number of comments about Blue Devils' show not being demanding enough, etc. It's only my opinion, but they have plenty of demand, visually and musically. As Mozart said (in the movie Amadeus) "There are no more or less notes [and visuals] than what is needed." (somewhat paraphrased) Remember that the GE score is, in large part, determined by excellent construction of the elements. Too much demand for the sake of demand, no matter how well performed, is fine for the content score but may cripple you on the GE Music or Visual sheet.

Being clean, musical, visually appealing, and making sense...

will always beat:

Dirty, demanding, non-musical, bloated, and crammed.

Now...none of the above means fans will or will not like the show. It's simply a generic way to look at show construction from an artistic standpoint. Madsion Scouts 1995 received the loudest, most amazing standing ovations I've ever seen. They placed 4th. Crowd didn't like their placement, but sensible folks would have agreed that they were not going to beat Cavaliers or Cadets, and probably not BD. They didn't, and the judges called it correctly. When our favorite doesn't win it doesn't mean the judges got it wrong or that the activity is too artsy-fartsy. It means the judges graded all aspects of the show, not just "fun" as defined by you, the fan.

• Like 5

Also...I wanted to say a few things regarding demand.

I saw a number of comments about Blue Devils' show not being demanding enough, etc. It's only my opinion, but they have plenty of demand, visually and musically. As Mozart said (in the movie Amadeus) "There are no more or less notes [and visuals] than what is needed." (somewhat paraphrased) Remember that the GE score is, in large part, determined by excellent construction of the elements. Too much demand for the sake of demand, no matter how well performed, is fine for the content score but may cripple you on the GE Music or Visual sheet.

Being clean, musical, visually appealing, and making sense...

will always beat:

Dirty, demanding, non-musical, bloated, and crammed.

Now...none of the above means fans will or will not like the show. It's simply a generic way to look at show construction from an artistic standpoint. Madsion Scouts 1995 received the loudest, most amazing standing ovations I've ever seen. They placed 4th. Crowd didn't like their placement, but sensible folks would have agreed that they were not going to beat Cavaliers or Cadets, and probably not BD. They didn't, and the judges called it correctly. When our favorite doesn't win it doesn't mean the judges got it wrong or that the activity is too artsy-fartsy. It means the judges graded all aspects of the show, not just "fun" as defined by you, the fan.

I totally agree. One can have a amazing, super advanced concept, but if it is dirty, and unrefined, it will always be beaten by a clean, well executed, but simpler, concept. The better executed concept with present itself better.

Look, I love BD. I hung out with them (alumni) already at the Stanford show. Let's just wait and see what happens, eh? Would I love to have the talent that BD has play TILT this year? I don't know. I kinda like the underdog.

This years' Bluecoats has a very 2009 Crown feel to it. Entertaining, performed at a high level, the whole deal. What's really important for BC fans and alumni, and the corps itself...is that the success of this show (win or lose) has set up the corps for incredible success going forward. Coats will be a destination corps...where kids want to go as a first choice (even more so than they already are). The new visual team has infused a fresh approach to design, and I can't wait to see where they go next.

Keep your eye on the long ball. I've said this on Facebook and in other threads. Bluecoats have arrived, and will be a contender going forward. The future is very bright indeed, and I've always thought they could become *the* corps in the Midwest, supplanting the three mainstays. It looks to me like that is finally happening.

• Like 5