San Antonio Regional

What's tired is the consistency of lack of marching demand from the Devils, or simultaneous marching and playing. In two of BD's championship years, we saw BD honks wringing their hands with worry over the lack of demand vs the other top corps.

But since we have more judges from the WGI perspective, some of whom have never played and marched, it's understandable.

I'm a fan of increasingly high demand. I want faster, better, more creative, year in and year out. That's what makes it interesting. Not just demand sleight-of-hand. I didn't like it when the Cavvies would do all their difficult drill moves when not playing, and do almost all their difficult playing when they weren't moving. I just felt duped more than impressed.

Let the BEST group win, and demand must be the largest component of best. If Crown has the highest demand, and they clean they deserve to win.

I totally agree. Crown's problem is that they've hadn't had a chance to clean this demanding show because the designers are making so many changes to fix that elusive GE placement. I believe Crown is attempting to demonstrate that they are on a different plain with the music and drill, and I see it. There is no one (BD included) that has the demand from start to finish that Crown does. I'm hoping they will settle in and clean, clean, clean, because DCI needs to recognize and reward this type of achievement so the others will step up their game.

I know, and I want them to delay until Massillon. It's all about momentum! You want that big upgrade to go in quarterfinals (or few days before, e.g. Massillon) ideally.

Ideally, if they want the new ending to make a big impact, they should debut it at Allentown, ala Phantom 08.

• Like 1

#1 drum line in the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtRQd8c9hwU

• Like 1

I think you missed the point. It's not that Garfield 1986 was a disaster. But on the heels of their three-peat, yes, 4th place was disappointing.

If I remember correctly, their approach to numbers was unconventional that year... I believe they had 80 horns in an era when 64 was the norm. Guard was small by design. I don't recall what else was unique about that show, other than they spoof Spirit of Atlanta and other corps.

And as far as I'm concerned, 1986 was pretty much about Concord and Santa Clara. I don't recall there being a 3, 4, 5, or 6 horse race. Do you?

I didn't miss the point really. Thing is that I heard people say that Garfield '86 was a disaster! 4th place was a disaster.

They had just won 3 championships in a row and wanted to experiment with a small guard and a very large hornline.

I remember that the hornline performed some guard duties during various parts of their show. See the thing is that Garfield Cadets does this. They did the same thing in '91 after winning in '90. They won and then took a big risk the next year. They seem to do that all the time. Sometimes their results are great, (83,84,85), sometimes it's not so great (06 after 05).

As far as '86, it wasn't a 3 horse or more race like it was in 1990 or some other year.

I simply get tired of people only caring about top 12, top 6, top 5, top 3, or it's a "two horse" race when the corps who have won seem to be taking huge risks after winning one year ( See Crown this year or Cadets after they win). The corps obviously don't put their focus only on winning DCI.

• Like 3

More importantly, they have found a "sound". Some will argue that they found it with Metropolis, and some will say they think DCI is unraveling with electronics. As long as judges keep rewarding shows like Crown and Coats put on each year, DCI's future is bright...

This years' Bluecoats has a very 2009 Crown feel to it. Entertaining, performed at a high level, the whole deal. What's really important for BC fans and alumni, and the corps itself...is that the success of this show (win or lose) has set up the corps for incredible success going forward. Coats will be a destination corps...where kids want to go as a first choice (even more so than they already are). The new visual team has infused a fresh approach to design, and I can't wait to see where they go next.

Keep your eye on the long ball. I've said this on Facebook and in other threads. Bluecoats have arrived, and will be a contender going forward. The future is very bright indeed, and I've always thought they could become *the* corps in the Midwest, supplanting the three mainstays. It looks to me like that is finally happening.

I don't entirely see why THIS is the Bluecoats show that will propel them in the future, a game changer. 07 was a game changer for them, so was 10. It keeps not quite paying off like we all want it to (i.e., gold), but they're still fresh and exciting and loveable.

???

Cadets haven't even added their real ending yet.

as well as Bluecoats have not put in their ending - I really don't think many have their ending in yet at all. Saving it for the right moment is the name of the game. Can't wait - I think everyone is saving it.

Ok the elephant in the middle of the room is that Crown finished 5th in San Antonio. Will Cavaliers catch them too?

Irving

Fan of the Arts

Ok the elephant in the middle of the room is that Crown finished 5th in San Antonio. Will Cavaliers catch them too?

Irving

Fan of the Arts

Hopefully not. That would leave only 3 (in my opinion) entertaining shows in the top 5.

Hopefully not. That would leave only 3 (in my opinion) entertaining shows in the top 5.

I hope so, cavaliers have the most thematically cohesive show of the top 6 and it entertains me very much.