San Antonio Regional

I hope so, cavaliers have the most thematically cohesive show of the top 6 and it entertains me very much.

*Checks signature, nods in understanding*

Lol just messing with you. Anyways, Cavies aren't doing it for me. They honestly haven't ever done it for me (1995, 2006, and 2008 being the exceptions).

Cool corps with cool history but their shows tend to be musically bland for me.

• Like 1

*Checks signature, nods in understanding*

Lol just messing with you. Anyways, Cavies aren't doing it for me. They honestly haven't ever done it for me (1995, 2006, and 2008 being the exceptions).

Fair enough.

This years' Bluecoats has a very 2009 Crown feel to it. Entertaining, performed at a high level, the whole deal. What's really important for BC fans and alumni, and the corps itself...is that the success of this show (win or lose) has set up the corps for incredible success going forward. Coats will be a destination corps...where kids want to go as a first choice (even more so than they already are). The new visual team has infused a fresh approach to design, and I can't wait to see where they go next.

Keep your eye on the long ball. I've said this on Facebook and in other threads. Bluecoats have arrived, and will be a contender going forward. The future is very bright indeed, and I've always thought they could become *the* corps in the Midwest, supplanting the three mainstays. It looks to me like that is finally happening.

Long time BD fan here. But with that being said, Bluecoats fans be patient. Cause the question is not if the Bluecoats will win a title, its when. Bluecoats have arrived. And they are here to stay. And when it happens i will be cheering just as loud for them as i do when BD wins cause they deserve a title. To me the only thing that sucks about this year is that Bluecoats didn't make it out west this year. I would have loved to see them live. I had the honor of having Crown pretty much in my backyard last year when they housed at Vista Murrieta High School in Murrieta CA during their SoCal tour. I live two miles away from Vista Murrieta and got to see them rehearse every night and saw them live at the Walnut and Riverside shows. Boy don't i wish that could have been the Bluecoats this year. But if the Bluecoats want the title, they are gonna have to go and take it from my beloved BD. Cause BD is firing on all cylinders this year. I think the loss to Crown last year was like poking the hornets nest. BD is out for blood this year. But Bluecoats are game and the last three weeks of this season are gonna be amazing. Lastly, everyone saying Crown is finished, you guys are smoking something. Crown is like a wounded animal right now. Which makes them very dangerous. They might not win it this year, but they aren't going down without a fight. Believe that.

• Like 3

Er, calling 1989 Spirit of Atlanta ....

89 Spirit got off to a slow start and then spent part of the summer doing standstills because at any given moment, half the corps had food poisoning.

86 Garfield was just tired as hell. In addition to cleaning the show they had to learn additional music for the Statue of Liberty celebration. That meant late nights trying to perfect charts that had nothing to do with the show, only to get to NY and find out they were only going to play one song.

The fact that both of those corps got as high as they did is a testament to the commitment of the members and the staff.

• Like 1

Ok the elephant in the middle of the room is that Crown finished 5th in San Antonio. Will Cavaliers catch them too?

Irving

Fan of the Arts

People have been talking about it for pages and pages. Sorry that isn't enough for you in a thread about the entire SA show.

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php/topic/160208-dci-southwest-championship-san-antonio-tx/

My review. Typed on my phone on the road back. Sorry if there are typos.

• Like 3

Couldn't agree more. I'm always looking for a reason to enjoy them; sometimes I find it, sometimes I don't. This year seemed to be the most promising in a while: it's about time Shostakovich's Chamber Symphony made it onto the drum corps field! Add Danse Macabre and Purcell to the mix and I'm thoroughly intrigued. But try as I might, I simply cannot get into this show. It seems to be on the precipice of something genius but is missing that extra oomph to really push it over the edge.

Moreover, what is the show even about? I'm not trying to be rude - I'm sincerely confused by it. The maturity and reverence of the musical selections leads me to believe they're going for a serious, somber show akin to SCV 2011. But some of the design choices (perhaps the guard costumes, the rock/jazzy/swing section in the middle of the show, or the "souls" that they play with in the ballad) makes it seem like a hokey interpretation of a dark show, a la Cadets 2011. Not to say SCV 2011's take on a dark show is better or worse than Cadets' 2011 take; rather, I'm struggling to find clarity in what the Cavies are trying to portray here. This year is undeniably their best show in years, but I disagree with the idea that they could be any higher than 6th (unless if they make a significant change or two in the coming weeks).

Let's take a moment of silence and pray for the natives of San Antonio as hundreds of drum corps kids are being reintroduced into civilized society for the first time in weeks.

They tend to stick to the riverwalk area and are easily spotted by their lilly white feet and ankles. (Depending on individual skin tone/color of course)

Edited by year1buick
  • Like 2