San Antonio Regional

The pyramid of sound as defined by McBeth was just a teaching tool for helping young bands understand the thought process behind ensemble balance, not a model for how to balance your ensemble. There is no right or wrong way to do it, only different ways based on the sound you desire.

I'm not a fan of the thin soprano sound and prefer a more pyramid-like sound. Not saying those lines are doing it wrong. Edited by Cappybara

That would be very closed minded and VERY uneducated on the different sounds that are out there that are also wonderful.

You and Kamarag misunderstood me. I'm not saying the pyramid model is the only way. I just don't like a top heavy sounding hornline. They sound thin and un satisfying. And a bit headache inducing. I simply prefer a more pyramid sounding hornline. Crown, Cadets, Bloo, and Phantom all have hornlines that I enjoy infinitely more than Cavies or BD

You and Kamarag misunderstood me. I'm not saying the pyramid model is the only way. I just don't like a top heavy sounding hornline. They sound thin and un satisfying. And a bit headache inducing. I simply prefer a more pyramid sounding hornline. Crown, Cadets, Bloo, and Phantom all have hornlines that I enjoy infinitely more than Cavies or BD

Cadets is pyramid? They sound more like a pair of Bose speakers to me, and always have. Devils have a fantastic low brass sound...it's just not super-heavy like PR usually is.

• Like 3

Cadets is pyramid? They sound more like a pair of Bose speakers to me, and always have. Devils have a fantastic low brass sound...it's just not super-heavy like PR usually is.

Are you sure you're talking about Bose speakers? Bose speakers are quite bass heavy which Cadets aren't exactly. They're mid range. But I like their blend quite a bit. And I both agree and disagree with you about BD and their low brass. Yes, they have a good sound but they're still dominated by the sopranos. Check out BD 2011 as an example. The type of sound id want to see from BD all the time is BD 2010 in that opening hit Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 1

Are you sure you're talking about Bose speakers? Bose speakers are quite bass heavy which Cadets aren't exactly. They're mid range. But I like their blend quite a bit. And I both agree and disagree with you about BD and their low brass. Yes, they have a good sound but they're still dominated by the sopranos. Check out BD 2011 as an example. The type of sound id want to see from BD all the time is BD 2010 in that opening hit

"No highs, no lows...must be Bose". Bose are the most mid-rangy speakers you can buy. They are all about marketing, not sound quality (with the single exception of their airplane headsets). I sold home audio and home theater for years. You know who buys Bose? Wives who don't want big speakers in their house :)

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 1

No one is going to scream at you, dude. If you want to make a point, just make it without all the immediate on-the-defensive back-hand talk.

No ones screaming, but hopefully you can see what my opinion did. Now posters are arguing about Bose speakers fff. I love the internet :)

Makes no sense...why wouldn't that judge just stand right in front of the pit or in the first few rows? Regardless, the 2nd box judge had very little resolution vs. the on-field judge. So the box judge just did what made sense -- score based on prior numbers. Judge 1 however heard that Coats' drum line had the best show of their year so far. Just watch the shows back. Coats took percussion IMHO.

Why? Because that is where they were told to stand by the voting corps. The judge doesn't get to choose.

As for the rest of this...

There may be very little correlation between field level and box level numbers, since they judges are hearing very different aspects of the show. Please provide evidence that judge #2 cheated and did not evaluate the corps in an honest manner. if you are going to accuse a judge of being dishonest, you better have the proof to back it up.

• Like 4

"No highs, no lows...must be Bose". Bose are the most mid-rangy speakers you can buy. They are all about marketing, not sound quality (with the single exception of their airplane headsets). I sold home audio and home theater for years. You know who buys Bose? Wives who don't want big speakers in their house :)

Totally agree and I own two pairs of Bose.

Huh maybe it's different in speakers? My IE2's are pretty bass heavy but they're in ear headphones.

Can confirm. I owned a $3,000 Bose system. Total mid-only.