San Antonio Regional

Can confirm. I owned a $3,000 Bose system. Total mid-only.

$3000 on a Bose system?? This makes me weep. Good god, for that kind of dough, you could have had such an amazing little set-up.

Never tell an audio/visual enthusiast what you intend to buy.

They will tell you you're doing it wrong.

• Like 1

This is my review:

Blue Devils: Very entertaining show with a great design concept. This design team is quite amazing.

Cadets: I hate to say this, but personally, Cadets are one of my least favorite this year. Corps is great as usual, but the design is pretty cheesy, and the music is very over played.

Bluecoats: This show absolutely thrills me. So many GE moments and a very great hornline. This is probably the best Bluecoats corps ever.

Santa Clara Vanguard: The loudest corps this year (even without the trombones). Everything is very well executed, and the drill is eye catching. I'd still take the 2004 show over this one though.

Carolina Crown: Though this show is very similar to the last two, I can't help but love Crown's hornline. Amazing book, and they are nailing it. I just wish the guard and drumline was at that par, but they wouldn't be fair. :tounge2:

Cavaliers: It's taken me a long time to adjust to the "new" Cavaliers, but this show has made me a Cavies fan again. The design isn't as eye catching as the Michael Gaines era, but it's still a great production. The drumline and the visual package is still one of the best attributes of the Cavaliers.

Phantom Regiment: I feel like this is a top 5 hornline, and the uniform changes are awesome and capture Black Swan perfectly.

Blue Knights: Seeing how this corps is my alumni corps, I can't help but be proud of them. This show is one of the most emotionally engaging productions in a while. The fact that people are crying from this show means they're doing well. I hope they place 7th this year.

Boston Crusaders: Maybe if I read "Animal Farm" I'd appreciate/understand this show better.

Blue Stars: Enjoyed their show, and their idea with the show. Interesting concept and props.

Madison Scouts: Love this show - especially the music. Not to mention, they have some excellent screamers.

Crossmen: Crossmen are hit and miss with me, and unfortunately this show is a miss for me. :unhappy:

Troopers: I enjoyed this show so much, and I hope that they make it into finals.

Spirit of Atlanta: One of my favorite shows of the night. The trumpet soloist wins the award for best screamer in my opinion.

I will get crucified for this, but IMHO the pyramid of sound is a load of horse ####. There are so many various styles of music and so much interpretation that placing a blanket rule over balance is quite honestly ridiculous. On a lead chart in jazz band do you want to hear nothing but bari sax/bone and bass? Do rotating woodwind parts sound better with bass clarinets and bassoons honking away like a wounded walrus? There is so much more to great ensemble playing than the pyramid of sound and every terrible player and band director I've ever known swears by it. That being said, do I love it when I hear shrill trumpets over a muddy low brass? HELL NO, but there are more problems with tone quality, intonation, and chord spelling in the writing that leads to these problems rather than an overall awareness of a pyramid shape to a chord. A perfectly pyramid brass ensemble will sound god awful if the tone qualities are not resonant and blended. I know this will come as a surprise to some know it all's out there, but two brass instruments perfectly in tune can be out of tone and lead to fuzz in the clarity of the sound. A perfect pyramid chord can sound out of balance depending on the spelling of the chord and which instruments emphasize which note in the chord and in which respective register.

Crucify me all you want, but I have spent the majority of my education and professional career sucking and listening to things that suck and one of my biggest pet peeves is the length to which terrible musicians will leap to defend the pyramid of sound. There, I said it, have at it critic buzzards hovering over the carcass of DCP.

Gene Pokorny is a 'terrible musician?' Yikes!

Cadets is pyramid? They sound more like a pair of Bose speakers to me, and always have. Devils have a fantastic low brass sound...it's just not super-heavy like PR usually is.

I want to hear a balanced sound, built upon sufficient low end to produce a solid foundation to a chord....not muddy nor overbearing, but audible. Bose speakers are even mediocre in their mid-range quality; and even those fabled 901s were low range deficient. And, I want to hear a little more low end in the Cadets' sound.....their rich mid range is a strength, IMHO.

Edited by brichtimp

I have to chime in here... to make a comparison.

I'm a music educator, though admittedly not in band. I have done a lot of vocal, choral, elementary, pop/rock band performing and teahcing, as well as arranging and composing. I know a good blend and balance when I hear it. I also know good voice leading when I hear it.

I can relate to this overuse of the pyramid methaphor for blending/balancing the brass. Untrained singers often say, "grab the third" when putting harmonies together... as if the 'third' magically stayed one chord tone above a melody composed purely of tonic scale tones throughout. I want to laugh - or punch them. Chord tones of course weave around and good voice leading means dressing up the melody in a way that makes the most sense when considering instrumentation, texture, etc. Certain scale tones should not be doubled or even emphasized - like thirds. So if you had, say, a third in the tubas or euphs, a 'pyramid' model would sound out of balance - and downright awful if the mellos or trumpets were also playing one. A good composer/arranger would never double a third like that though.

Theory 101.

Edited by luv4corps
  • Like 2

Just posted a review of all the corps from Saturday in the Review Section.

Harvey

• Like 1

Most people hear Crown play beautiful chords and lots of fast runs and think "now that is demand." And it is, but most of the stuff Crown plays falls in the "sweet" spot. In other words, the notes are typically in the middle range and in keys that work well with the instruments (Bb, F). Crown's music is demanding, make no mistake, but no more demanding than what BD is doing, and often times much less.

Disagree with your assessment on Crown's brass music/arrangements. Getting 80 - 84 brass players to play the type of rhythmic passages and fast runs that they are playing (Most often spread across many yards) together is incredibly demanding. They have done this better than pretty much everyone else. For the individual player/part most drum corps music is not incredibly hard. In drum corps the challenging part is getting everything in unison while moving. That is the hard part. Just my opinion.

• Like 1