Food Trucks and Fan-Fare - a new concept in show production

If I were 2200 miles closer, I'd be there. It sounds like a fantastic concept and a great way to bring the 'non-traditional' audience to the show.

DCI and others should be promoting the hell out of this type of involvement with and outreach to the local community - IMO.

This is a major-league excellent reply. Thank you for taking me seriously and for the thoughtful and complete reply.

If the food truck idea is a definable success then we'll likely repeat it. If not then we'll try a different tact. We have two desert trucks coming.

Your second idea to contact the Academy sparks an idea that we had a couple of years ago and didn't follow up on. Might be time to resurrect it.

And thanks for the business articles. I'll put them on my pile. :tounge2:

MMMmmmmm...I luv me some Tumbleweed salad and Rattlesnake kebabs. :augen51:

Edited by MikeD

Houston has a HUGE food truck scene. This would be a great concept to bring to next years TOC show. Plus stadium food sucks.

This food truck idea is a excellent idea, and @Garfield, if you are not making a huge profit from food concessions, then you are doing something wrong. In most venues, the ticket sales go to cover expenses, and concessions is the profit center.

I disagree with this in some part because local venues in the city ranging from Nationwide Arena down to even the city run Columbus Commons have made the switch to promoting food truck events as it generates more traffic, buzz, and offers more variety in concessions than the standard fare. Here are a few articles that feature the local food truck scene (many will be at this event) in Columbus which is huge:

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/food/2012/05/30/1-mobile-munchies.html

http://www.dispatch.com/content/slideshows/2012/05/new-food-trucks.html

http://streeteatscolumbus.com/

Columbus is a very food focused city so I think this concept is great! We have a high volume of restaurants per capita AND many restaurants launch their test food in the Columbus market because of the appetites the citizens hold. So low quality food at a concessions stand will not drive people to purchase which has been shown over and over again in our market.

Case in point, one of the local vendors LATE NIGHT SLICE, how has mini-stores and mobile food trucks all around town. It's to the point that a popular bar/concert/comedy venue partnered with them and now instead of bar food, they sell Mikey's Late Night Slice. At two of the cities outdoor concert spaces (where the symphony performs) you now have Late Night Slice selling concessions pizza. Every week food trucks line up next to the state house and people from the governor down to the interns line up to eat these great food truck meals and more are starting.

I need all of my drum corps DCP friends to start doing a rain dance or, more accurately, an "anti-raindance", for our show on Monday.

Our pre-show ticket sales are the highest we've ever had. If past is prologue we should have our highest attendance ever.

Dance, people, dance!

As a favor to me, the spreadsheet guy, DANCE!

(Hi yah yah yah, Hi yah, yah, yah)

• Like 1