Fan Reactions to Bluecoats "Pitch Bend" Ending 2014

Adding last night's reaction in NJ. Warning: people are losing their minds. :)

This got 5th in GE. Crazy DCI.

O.K. -- I'll admit it. I've never been even remotely considered a Bluecoat fan. Why? Can't tell you. Just haven't. (Maybe it was the old Robin's Egg blue colored jackets. How's that for stupid?)

Up to this point I have made it my goal NOT to discuss this year's Bluecoats...in any way...or see their show. Nope -- not interested. (Ok...stupid/prideful move #2). In any event, while perusing this thread this morning, I came across the posting by superOOk. In what may only be considered as either a moment of weakness or insanity, I decided to hit the link. I watched. Watched again. Watched a third time. Watched a fourth time. Went and made a cup of coffee and had a cigarette on the deck. Lit up a second and smoked it. Came back and watched a fifth time.
I'll be nice. I think I actually audibly exclaimed "Holy Mother Mary and Joseph." Two or three times. The kicker here is that I'm not even Catholic. In any event, I'd like to thank OOk for helping me grow up a little. No...Bluecoats will still not be my "favorite" corps. But yes...I've been missing a lot. I'll remember THAT ending for a long, long time. Thanks, OOk.
  • Like 9

I love Bluecoats show this year and the ending is up there with the other top endings over time. BUT, I have a fear that the copycats in marching band and drum corps may be out in force, trying to replicate the effect and I really don't want to see (hear) tons of electronics and pitchbending in everyone's shows. The uniqueness of it is part of what makes it great. It could get old real fast if some mediocre marching bands or low tier drum corps tried something like this.

• Like 1

I love Bluecoats show this year and the ending is up there with the other top endings over time. BUT, I have a fear that the copycats in marching band and drum corps may be out in force, trying to replicate the effect and I really don't want to see (hear) tons of electronics and pitchbending in everyone's shows. The uniqueness of it is part of what makes it great. It could get old real fast if some mediocre marching bands or low tier drum corps tried something like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gquuf7Q3PcA

It will happen anyway. Just enjoy the season and don't worry about it.

• Like 3

I can only imagine the crowd on finals night, seeing and hearing this for the last time this year. I really hope that the design team, instructional staff, and the young men and women in the ranks know what a great show they have and how it has impacted the fans. :thumbup:

• Like 3

It is the musical equivalent of a really hot woman who you KNOW has fake boobs. I HATE the fact that they are artificial/fake but that doesn't stop me from thinking she is a hottie.

Drum and bugle corps died A LONG time ago-- for those that never heard a really good horn line on G bugles I can see why they would find it entertaining. Yep--I've turned into a grumpy old man as far as this activity is concerned.

CM

It is the musical equivalent of a really hot woman who you KNOW has fake boobs. I HATE the fact that they are artificial/fake but that doesn't stop me from thinking she is a hottie.

Drum and bugle corps died A LONG time ago-- for those that never heard a really good horn line on G bugles I can see why they would find it entertaining. Yep--I've turned into a grumpy old man as far as this activity is concerned.

CM

But we notice you keep coming back for a good look.

• Like 2

It does make me wonder why they didn't just do it as portamento, and grab credit on the brass and music analysis sheets in the process. That would be worth a full placement.

Long time listener, first time caller. Lost count how many times I've viewed Coats closer. More addictive than my screen name...

• Like 5