Color Guard Audition Suggestions

I'm entering my senior year of high school and by the end of this marching season I will have had 4 years on flag and 2 on rifle and saber. I have never been in a winter guard, but am searching for one for this winter. I know I have a lot of practicing to do to make a world class corps.

My long term goal is to be in Phantom Regiment, but obviously my chances of making that this year are slim to none. What is a good corps to audition for my first year? I will probably audition for Phantom anyway for the experience. I live in Wisconsin, but I can't bring myself to do Pioneer.

Also, given that move ins are in May and school doesn't end till June here, how did you guys handle that? I'm taking all AP classes senior year, so I should be in the clear since I will have already taken exams, correct?

Lastly, any overall tips? (:

I'm entering my senior year of high school and by the end of this marching season I will have had 4 years on flag and 2 on rifle and saber. I have never been in a winter guard, but am searching for one for this winter. I know I have a lot of practicing to do to make a world class corps.

My long term goal is to be in Phantom Regiment, but obviously my chances of making that this year are slim to none. What is a good corps to audition for my first year? I will probably audition for Phantom anyway for the experience. I live in Wisconsin, but I can't bring myself to do Pioneer.

Also, given that move ins are in May and school doesn't end till June here, how did you guys handle that? I'm taking all AP classes senior year, so I should be in the clear since I will have already taken exams, correct?

Lastly, any overall tips? (:

I mean AP exams are over in early to mid May but you may have Finals in June. Atleast that's how my school did it and I graduated from high school a year ago (good luck with all APs by the way. I did that my senior year too and it was rough).

How about you audition for the Blue Stars instead who are also in Wisconsin?

My son knows several people who have auditioned for Phantom, and based upon what I have learned from him, dance ability is as important or more important than weapons there.

My daughter was in the same situation you are describing - senior year, AP exams, etc., but the SCV move in camp started May 23rd. She did not graduate until June 12th. Her HS allowed her to take all of her finals and present her senior project early to move in with SCV on time. There are options, but you will need to work with your HS counselor and teachers to make it happen. We started in January, and still had "last minute paper work" appear in her final week of school.

Good luck!

I mean AP exams are over in early to mid May but you may have Finals in June. Atleast that's how my school did it and I graduated from high school a year ago (good luck with all APs by the way. I did that my senior year too and it was rough).

How about you audition for the Blue Stars instead who are also in Wisconsin?

They've been scoring very well in guard since 2008 when Mr. Sharpio showed up. They've been as high as 6th in the years since and were 8th in SA this last weekend, topping Phantom. Not a guard guy, but I've always been impressed and the scores speak for themselves.

They've been scoring very well in guard since 2008 when Mr. Sharpio showed up. They've been as high as 6th in the years since and were 8th in SA this last weekend, topping Phantom. Not a guard guy, but I've always been impressed and the scores speak for themselves.

Yep. I signed up for information, but definitely still a high ranking guard.

for auditions... look and see who is around. Then go and audition!

you might be able to get our of school after AP exams.

Remember, nothing will get you closer to marching with Phantom than spending all summer spinning with top notch instruction!

I agree. Too bad my best instructor is currently on tour with the cavaliers. I cannot wait for him to get back!

The Colts in Dubuque are not far from western Wisconsin. They have a respectable guard. I know someone who marched with them for a couple years and then made Bluecoats guard. Winterguard will help, IMO.

You can work with your school to time things at the end of the year. But is it hectic, so be prepared.

I would suggest Oregon Crusaders for your first corps experience. They work with your schedule as well. Their move-in is usually around the end of the first week in June 7-10 or so. Not too far from CA as well. Also, there are members from OC that go on to march at other corps as well. They had one guard member go to Phantom (in her 2nd year now) they have had members go to BD, SCV, Troopers and a few others as well. Just a thought.