Rajun Cajun Review

Finally got to a show! It was fun. Is everyone in Louisiana this friendly and fun loving?

Sorry I missed the first three groups. Really wanted to check out the new LA Stars.

I just could not get their any earlier.

PC: I loved this show. What a simple and clear, but well communicated theme.

Thought all sections of the corps showed even talent and performance chops. Lots of confidence. The brass were really stellar at times, especially on big open chords. Some clean perc moments, still some cleaning to do. Professional and classy all around. Seems to

be a corps on the move. Some great detailing of the marionette theme throughout. Thought they should have bested Spirit tonight. Maybe they can jump a few spots. Time for a new uniform?

Spirit: After seeing videos and reading all the input about this year’s corps, tonight’s performance confirmed my fears. It was tough following PC in that the show is

hard to get into. It seems like drill and spinning to music, and not much to follow beyond that. There are moments that seem bluesy (southern as some have been calling it), but I didn’t know where any of it was going. I know that doesn’t make a lot of sense, its just how I felt. The brass were loud at times, though not with the same quality as PC. So much of the show is at tempos below 152. There is clearly some talent out there. Soloists were great.

They were really dirty visually and musically. There were long spans of time where the music ensemble did not play together at all. Several visual and musical moments where the crowd moaned. Not rudely, just a reaction to some real rough moments. I still can’t believe it. Really want to know what is going on with the teaching, and especially the design team. Sorry Spirit. Been such a huge fan. Best to you these next few weeks.

Colts: They really came to play tonight and seem to have an agenda to move up as well.

Though I agree with others that the voice over is too much and at times too hard to follow (I like it, but want to spend more mental energy just enjoying the other aspects of the show), the performer is extremely convincing. Some of the show is really clean visually and musically, still some to fix. Like the aggressive brass approach, needs to smooth out and tune without loosing the impact. Perc has the most room to grow. I would thin at this point for sure. Great color guard and the overall visual is fantastic. Probably best Colts visually ever. Question for them- if the scarecrow has taken over OZ (I think that is the intent), and the members have taken on scarecrow isms, movement, etc. that needs to be more clear, perhaps stated in voice over. Loved it. Probably my favorite Colts ever. Uniform is fine, something doesn’t quite work the top shape. Clearly over Spirit in my opinion. Didn’t find them comparable in any way.

Blue Stars: Sooo much to look at. I think this is effective, but perhaps too much. Maybe

seeing it several times live, I would feel differently. This show reminded me of their first few years back into top 12. Great confidence and communication with the audience.

All sections are strong. Some impressive guard soloists and ensemble flag statements.

I go back and forth with whether or not the theme is easy to follow. Maybe it is just moving into a house isms. If so, I get it. If more, I am not sure. Some cleaning to do, but thoroughly enjoyable a clearly a finalist. Much improved over the last few years.

Phantom: I understand Louisiana is PR country with lots of alumni in the state. The show is big, pretty, dark at times. The uniform change is different for them nd somewhat effective. Seems it should be more effective than it is. It should be stated that the drill writer did a great job coordinating the uniform change and how it is done in different ways with different sections at different times. Not much else to say. Big. Phantom. Just didn’t grab me emotionally tonight.

Cavies: They did grabed me tonight and the audience as well. Several places where the crowd went nuts. Three standing Os. The vampire craze that has hit our nation is pretty wild. Guess it started over a decade ago, but has really grown. When I heard they were doing a vampire show, I thought “ughh.” But, they are doing it with Cavies class and it sucks you in and keeps you there right away (see what I did there?). Vastly improved brass, some real exposures, especially trumpets. Great percussion. Great guard but with a few whoops tonight. All the marimba features are soooo entertaining- perfectly staged, and visually supported. Though some fresh ideas, it is a great compliment to state the drill is similar to the Gaines years. This is the Cavies we all fell in love with and wanted to see and hear again.

They must be enjoying the hell out of their summer (see what I did there?). Make the dead horn line coming back to life thing make more sense. Lets us know the guard has turned them into vampires in a more clear and effective way. Bravo!

BD: What a great corps. Though I personally enjoyed Cavies more, they just perform so well. I did some home work so I could relate to the Felinni –isms. Pretty clever and saturated throughout the production. Love the opening high brass stuff. I still want to know what judges are saying when the corps just scatters and people move things casually to restage. It isn’t even done with characterization, creativity. Its like they dare anyone to say anything. Though perhaps all else if so good we shouldn’t care, it still bothers me year after year. We are supposed to reward creativity and achievement, right. Any way, great group. Eager to see them again soon so I can take more in.

• Like 1

Thanks for the review. Regarding Blue Stars and a lot going on at the beginning. I think this is exactly what the designers had in mind and the show is communicating this feeling wonderfully. Think about moving into a home. what is it like? hectic, cluttered, confusing, scary etc... which eventually resolves and sorts itself out in the end with something familiar and what we know. I think it is genius!

Great review! I wish you had stayed for The Louisiana Stars encore, and let us know what you thought. We are very proud of the work these kids have done!