What do you think the champions of yesteryear would score today?

I don't buy the cleanliness argument on here. Corps were much cleaner back then on certain aspects that are overlooked today. The layering stuff is a bunch of fluff, imho, that doesn't always add to the show and often feels forced because every feels they have to do it. Basically we're getting shows stuffed with clutter ( a lot of the times, not always) that doesn't really add to the show, but adds to the score. Sometimes less is more. I'm thinking Star '93 here.

The sheets are so different, but it's been interesting to read what's been thrown around in this thread. I could see where some of these current shows would be considered a bunch of clutter that hides the intent of the show.

So, I know this won't be a popular opinion, but it's the flip side of the coin.

• Like 1

Too true, the kids are much better fed and apparently better rested today and rather nimble considering

Overall agree. Kids overall, but I was pretty well fed and rest too back in the day.

Couldn't say that if I was watch Cadets back then though.

I would love to have a time machine and take 2014 Crown back to say 1974 and perform in exhibition at a show.... and not watch the show....but watch the crowd. Some people would have this look of total awe as in "OMG, that is unbelievable" and some would have this look of "WTF?"...... Would be interesting to say the least....

The drum corps traditionalists of that time would have fatal heart attacks. Everyone else would cry, vomit, or faint.

Well, I respect your opinion, but I completely disagree. Star of Indiana in 1991 would beat both Cadets and BD as they stand right now. BD is wonderful, but does not have a brass line quite as good as Star 91 (and neither do Cadets, nor Crown). Star 91 percussion would hold their own, their drill would be better than most drill we are seeing in the top 12 today, their guard was magnificent (certainly in the ball park with BD), and their GE would, I think, be no. 1.

I honestly believe you can go back to 1991 with Star of Indiana and that they could win the title today with today's judges and system.

No way do they have the GE or the color guard. Brass line was obviously great- it set the standard for that era- but that standard was surpassed by the Cavaliers in 2002.

The show wasn't even that clean for THAT era. 97.1 if i remember correctly? Either way star 91 would get spanked so hard by crown 2013.

The idea that some of you seem to think that Star 91 would be more competitive than early 2000s Cavaliers in this Era is absolutely absurd.

People that want to compare Corps from different eras, run into a MAJOR problem as they want us to assume some things right from the getgo, yet we have not agreed on those assumptions to begin with when we make the comparisons.

For just one brief example of what I'm referring too, unless we agree to change the judging system of the 70's, 80's 90's from the judging system utilized here in 2014, I think its pretty much indisputable that NONE of todays top 5 Corps would place in the Top 5 in, for example, 1976, 1986, 1996.

All of todays Corps would penalize themselves out of any possible contention for TOP 5 considerations. They would all be disqualified for marching overage members for one. Beyond that, they'd be penalties for undertime issues, penalties for marching too many marchers in performance, utilizing unauthorized instrumentation, penalties for excessive playing before performance, and dozens of other violations in performance. Corps in earlier decades ( just like todays Corps in this respect ) designed shows based upon the agreed to judging criteria for competition at that time. If we change the rules, then naturally the shows that are designed for those judging rules change as well.... no matter the era. The system of judging in earlier DCI eras bears little to no resemblance to today. Even the fundamental " weaponry " of competition bears little to no resemblance whatsoever either. Thats why, to compare Corps from different ears in terms of who might place where, is an exercise in ( pardon the pun ) " constantly risking absurdity ". The only thing we can compare is audience size, and audience reaction, and what exposure the activity has with the national public, and how many total competitors we have today doing competitive Drum Corps, and how many we had in earlier decades, and so forth. THESE things can be compared, and with some degree of confidence in concrete numbers too and not an abstract fantasyland of placement predictions where neither eras Corps, juding rules sysyem, etc have much in common with the other at all.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

The drum corps traditionalists of that time would have fatal heart attacks. Everyone else would cry, vomit, or faint.

So they would have honest reactions, versus, say, indignantly defending today's product based on the improved timbre, texture, palate, art, dance, now available to the modern designer.

No way do they have the GE or the color guard. Brass line was obviously great- it set the standard for that era- but that standard was surpassed by the Cavaliers in 2002.

The show wasn't even that clean for THAT era. 97.1 if i remember correctly? Either way star 91 would get spanked so hard by crown 2013.

The idea that some of you seem to think that Star 91 would be more competitive than early 2000s Cavaliers in this Era is absolutely absurd.

Except that without Star 91 there would be no Crown 13 or Cavies 02 amirite?

Sorry, disagree. Cavaliers 2002 were excellent visually, and although they won brass, that hornline was playing a whole note, half note festival that was nicely blended. They did not have the talent or the depth of Star 1991 and would get spanked by Star 1991 and by Star 1993 in brass.

As for the whole show, sure, it all depends on how it's judged. Cavaliers in 2002 were clean and good, especially with visual and guard, and brass and percussion were certainly no joke (although again I thought the horn book was easy). They would certainly fair fell today, as would a lot of shows.

Again, so much of this depends on how it's judged.