When your hopes and dreams fizzle out

Do I go find a new corps and risk being accused of treason by my friends? Do I even want to march at all?

The first question shouldn't be a factor at all. A real friend would support whatever decision you make.

I decided to age-out with the corps I started with. I promised my friends I would come back during my year off. Unfortunately, it happened to be a down year for the corps (design-wise and tour-wise). The writing was on the wall during winter camps: the fundamental show idea was dumb and a lot of the design elements just didn't make sense. But I was committed by then, and as a vet, had to be in cheerleader mode. Again, no regrets at all, but I always tell people in a similar position to no be afraid to try out somewhere new.

If you end up 100 percent committed to marching again (full agreement with BRASSO's response), go to the corps that inspires you to perform.

• Like 1

I'm still soul-searching. Part of me has no interest in ever marching again. But I still have one summer left. Do I go back to the corps I love? Do I even love them anymore or do I love only our memories together? Do I go find a new corps and risk being accused of treason by my friends? Do I even want to march at all?

I think I still have some unfinished business to settle. I'd hate to live the rest of my life with such a bitter aftertaste forever resonating. But I fear I could attain an even worse aftertaste if I march another summer.

Here's my advice from a over 40 year old man...you said you only have one summer left...take advantage of it because you'll NEVER get another 21 year old summer again. I'm sure lots of us on these boards and not, have had this issue or others like it and wish we would have made a different desicion. IF you have any inklings of marching, then do it! :) But I agree...you have to be in it 100% for yourself first, and your corps brothers and sisters next...otherwise it's not fair to you, or them.

When I marched Drum Corps, it was the best years of my young adult life period, end of story. I have some of the fondest memories of my life from that time...and we didn't have cell phones, FB and the like, it was harder to stay in touch. you never know, maybe at whatever corps you decide to march in next year you may meet your best friend for the rest of your life.

Out...

• Like 1

Here's my advice from a over 40 year old man...you said you only have one summer left...take advantage of it because you'll NEVER get another 21 year old summer again. I'm sure lots of us on these boards and not, have had this issue or others like it and wish we would have made a different desicion. IF you have any inklings of marching, then do it! :) But I agree...you have to be in it 100% for yourself first, and your corps brothers and sisters next...otherwise it's not fair to you, or them.

When I marched Drum Corps, it was the best years of my young adult life period, end of story. I have some of the fondest memories of my life from that time...and we didn't have cell phones, FB and the like, it was harder to stay in touch. you never know, maybe at whatever corps you decide to march in next year you may meet your best friend for the rest of your life.

Out...

I agree 100%if the experience if a good one it is like nothing else and your perspective will be quite different . If you have a last opportunity to participate there's a lifetime to spectate. PARTICIPATE,

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

So, I've never marched with a corps, and was needing to pick the brains of the vets out there. My question originates from this season from Crown but has undoubtedly occurred with other corps through history.

So, Crown won last year after years of building and vying for that top stop. It finally happens! Expectations for next year are super high. They come out this year starting in the top 3. Okay, they bounced around there for years. Then they slip to fourth, and then fifth. Seeing as their score dropped below 90, it may not be out of the question to go down to 6th.

Same thing with the Blue Knights from 97-2001. Got all the way up to 6th and then BAM, out of the top 12. And the same with the Cavies from 07-12. They hover around second or third for 5 years and then down to 8th. As I said, there are probably many examples.

The Question: What is going through the heads of staff and members at this point in the year? Have they just given up? Do they feel like they are just "pissin' on a bonfire", where nothing they do helps? Do they keep fighting the good fight? Does arguing break out, and the blame game begin? So, veterans of the game, what more than likely is going on in corps on years like this?

NOPE

Edited by 777hornman