When your hopes and dreams fizzle out

If Crown is as good an organization as I think they are, The kids will have an awesome summer and great marching experience and more Championships in the future! A championship is not promised. Not in most corps.

Edited by boxingfred
  • Like 1

Talk to someone in the Cavaliers and tell them ( your words ) " the Cavaliers have had a relatively short period of consistent success, not quite a decade ", and they will educate you with your apparent lack of knowledge on this particular issue that has you in error regarding this particular issue.

As for the Cadevaliers, wait'll you get a load of my 2015 Corps placement predictions that someone will no doubt begin a new thread on in less than 3 weeks time hence.( haha!)

I'm not sure that it's a matter of words and opinions. You're "Cadevaliers" seems to be coined from the limited scope of 2000-2006ish. That's limited knowledge on this particular issue that has you in error regarding this particular issue... that I take a particular issue with. And that is the issue that I particularly am concerned about with this particular issuance of a post to this particular thread.

5 of their 7 wins comes from that period of time. If you were to include the Cavies in your Cadevaliers make-up... then it wouldn't seem a stretch to include SCV(6 wins)... ala. the Cadevalierguard.

Apart from that period of time... I'm not sure that drumcorps fans had the Cavaliers in mind as a potential champion any more than SCV (kinda like today)... or Phantom (who by then had finally won after many close seconds).

In the grand scheme of consistent winners, that continue... there is only the Blue Devils and Cadets... and really only the Blue Devils (who I don't believe have ever been below 4th place since they won their 1st of 15 titles... I may be incorrect on that, however).

Apart from Star... there is only the Kingsmen who are no longer around.

SCV, Phantom, Cavies, Scouts... all still big players. And now, add Crown.

• Like 1

Only the 1991 Blue Devils were out of top 4 (5th place). Even then they took top brass honors!

I stand corrected.

It's also important to point out that the Kingsmen didn't work their way up (like Star) only to "fizzle out". The Kingsmen won the first title. SCV was actually one of the earliest prominent consistent winners. They fact that they (SCV) are still ranked where they are is a testament to the longevity and strength of the organization.

Top 4 or 5 has always been the expectation for a defending champion... and with the competition of this era, I think that top 7 or 8 is pretty good.

Edited by cfirwin3
  • Like 1

In defense of the Cavaliers... looking at corpsreps.com, The Cavaliers first medaled in DCI in 1986. http://corpsreps.com/corpsreps.cfm?view=corpsdet&corps=9&corpstype=Junior In the 28 years since, they medaled/top-3'd 19 of those years, vs 9 not.

Compare that to the other medalists in that same time, almost 3 decades...

Blue Devils - 21 medal years, 7 not

(Cavaliers - 19 medals, 9 not)

Cadets - 18 medalist years, 10 not

---

Phantom Regiment - 9 medal years, 19 not

Vanguard - 8 medal years, 20 not

Carolina Crown - 3 medal years, 17 not

Madison Scouts - 1 medal year, 27 not

Bluecoats - 1 medal year, 27 not

It's still a Cadeviliers world, as far as I'm concerned...

Mike

• Like 1

So my guess is, while kids in Crown might be kind of bummed about their title prospects this year, I am pretty sure they are still having a hell of a time, and forging life-long friendships and memories. So don't feel too bad for them.

While this SOUNDS nice and all, the fact of the matter is, If the marchers in Crown went there primarily for the " forging of life long friendships and memories", etc, and that sort of thing, they could just as easily gotten THAT from just about ANY Corps. If they went to Crown primarily for these reasons, then naturally they are " still having a hell of a time " just as you said. On the other hand, if they left another Corps this past offseason, to primarily have a chance of getting a ring with Crown, then naturally one would assume that the experience of this season so far has been a huge disappointment for them.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Our philosophy was always that we were competing against ourselves...to be better than we were the day before and the day before that. This was true every year I was with the organization, whether we were winning or not. It was great to win a show, but that was not the focus of rehearsal. I expect most organizations have a similar philosophy.

• Like 2

While this SOUNDS nice and all, the fact of the matter is, If the marchers in Crown went there primarily for the " forging of life long friendships and memories", etc, and that sort of thing, they could just as easily gotten THAT from just about ANY Corps. If they went to Crown primarily for these reasons, then naturally they are " still having a hell of a time " just as you said. On the other hand, if they left another Corps this past offseason, to primarily have a chance of getting a ring with Crown, then naturally one would assume that the experience of this season so far has been a huge disappointment for them.

Tell me what other corps will those kids get that kind of brass education that they get from Crown? No corps comes close. Look at the hornline in the lot videos of Crown, BD, Cadets, SCV, etc. The difference is incredible. Percussion, not sure if those kids expected a top notch percussion experience. As for the guard, I do feel for them this year.

I'm not sure that it's a matter of words and opinions. You're "Cadevaliers" seems to be coined from the limited scope of 2000-2006ish. That's limited knowledge on this particular issue that has you in error regarding this particular issue... that I take a particular issue with.

Your assumption that I coined the DCI Royal Family " Cadevaliers " from " the limited time horizon scope of 2000-2006 " is an erroneous one.

The Cadevaliers period of time I utilize is actually from 1976 all the way through to today... and without interruption. Since 1976, over 80% of the DCI Titles have been won by the Cadevaliers. More telling, is that only once since 1976 have the Cadevaliers not returned to the Throne after a 1 year absence due to an interloper taking the Throne for 1 year. 2014 will be no different as I use this extended history as my guide. I also predict that without a reasonable and sensible transfer poicy adopted by DCI ( that few have an appetite for currently ) that the Cadevaliers will actually increase their Royal Family hold on the DCI Throne from its current over 80% since 1976, to approx. 95% over the next 35 years in my long range placement predictions. But... only time will tell if I'm right on this, or not.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1