Here's something else I learned from the score archives for 1965:

Thursday June 17, 1965 Hershey PA

Position Corps Score

1 Reading Buccaneers 84.600

2 Skyliners 82.350

3 Hawthorne Caballeros 78.880

4 Yankee Rebels 77.510

5 Bonnie Scots 71.860

I never knew Sky and the Cabs competed in any shows together in 65 ...

Go figure ...

Andy, I too, don't think that Sky and Cabs competed together at all in both 1964 and 1965. I could be mistaken, but I believe those scores might be from Hershey in 1966. I was not yet marching Cabs, but I was following the corps with the folks who eventually recruited me the next year. My understanding is that the Portland, A.L. Nationals was their only loss in '65, to the Rochester Crusaders.

I also just noticed your post lists it as "Thursday June 17, 1965." It's highly unlikely a DCA show was held on a Thursday in June.

Edited by cabalumnidrummer

Question on National Anthem by all the corps in 1976. Only DCA show I remember being at in 1976 was Hershey and the corps played "Stars and Stripes" (I think) while marching onto their retreat spots. IIRC, the corps were at the back of the field and marched forward to S&SF. Used to have a tape of it at Hershey as I was in the stands. Memorable as who eer started it off just went "ready move" and 3 corps started right off, 3 started a beat later and 1 started 2 beats or so later. Talk about a train wreck.

Oh question was.... was it the National Anthem or Stars & Stripes Forever? s/ guy stuck in RCA that year...

• Like 1

>>

andy in 1976 truman crawford did an arrangement of the star spangled banner and was played at every show by all the corps. it was the 200th anniversary of the country so that's why we did it. it was amazing . how did we ever do that........... maybe that's what you remember.

<<

Yes ... there was that in 76, but DCA tried something much earlier in the mid-60's ... guess I'll have to break out the old DCN's ...

:-)

I believe it was a short arrangement of "Stars and Stripes Forever" that all DCA corps learned in 1976 for the Bicentennial to be played together, en masse at retreats as they all marched toward the stands. I don't know who arranged it, possibly Truman Crawford. I attended several shows that year, and witnessed it with varying degrees of success. My impression was that DCA management wanted this, but corps members weren't terribly happy about doing it. And I agree with Jim, it was a bit of a train wreck at most shows.

Sun had a brief segment of "Stars and Stripes" as part of their closer before the "Happy Birthday" segment, and I always wondered if they played their own arrangement or the one meant for the massed corps.

Edited by cabalumnidrummer
  • Like 1

Nope ... Rochester dumped them in Rome, NY as well:

Saturday July 31, 1965 Rome NY 15th Copper City Drum Pageant

STADIUM: Rome Free Academy American Legion

Position Corps Score

1 Rochester Crusaders 84.166

2 Hawthorne Caballeros 83.800

3 Hamburg Kingsmen 80.650

4 Syracuse Brigadiers 78.450

5 Reilly Raiders 75.366

6 Executives 65.766

... and there's a DCN article to verify it ...

Edited by ajlisko
  • Like 1

That's the one John, S&S was just long enough for the corps to make it from the back to the front of the field. Kind of remember Hershman having kittens if we would ever have to learn it quick. Last thing he wanted was to P.O. DCA by doing it like crap. 1976 was the year we were trying to make Finals and last thing we needed was looking bad anywhere near DCA. (we came in 11th that year)

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

>>

Andy, I too, don't think that Sky and Cabs competed together at all in both 1964 and 1965. I could be mistaken, but I believe those scores might be from Hershey in 1966. I was not yet marching Cabs, but I was following the corps with the folks who eventually recruited me the next year. My understanding is that the Portland, A.L. Nationals was their only loss in '65, to the Rochester Crusaders.

I also just noticed your post lists it as "Thursday June 17, 1965." It's highly unlikely a DCA show was held on a Thursday in June. <<

Just checked Nanci's DCN archives an the scores and corps listed aren't from Hershey 65 or 66 ... guess we'll just have to research a little more ...

• Like 1

>>

Just checked Nanci's DCN archives an the scores and corps listed aren't from Hershey 65 or 66 ... guess we'll just have to research a little more ...

Thinking back, we did not go to Hershey in '66. June was Stratford, Toronto (Shriner's), and Boston (Mission Drums). So the earliest it could be is 1967, and I do recall going to Hershey for the first time (for me) that season.

Nope ... Rochester dumped them in Rome, NY as well:

Saturday July 31, 1965 Rome NY 15th Copper City Drum Pageant

STADIUM: Rome Free Academy American Legion

Position Corps Score

1 Rochester Crusaders 84.166

2 Hawthorne Caballeros 83.800

3 Hamburg Kingsmen 80.650

4 Syracuse Brigadiers 78.450

5 Reilly Raiders 75.366

6 Executives 65.766

... and there's a DCN article to verify it ...

cru beat cabs 3 times that year and i don't remember the other show. peashey would know.

>>cru beat cabs 3 times that year and i don't remember the other show. peashey would know. <<

Then we'll wait for Mr. Peashey to chime in ...

>>cru beat cabs 3 times that year and i don't remember the other show. peashey would know. <<

Then we'll wait for Mr. Peashey to chime in ...

i'll see if i can roust him.