Old Style Retreat Cermonies - Posting of The Colors

I'm here... and Peashey is still trying to recover from a week in the hospital and is quite scatterbrained right now, but I seem to think that we only beat them in Portland Prelims, Portland Finals and Rome... They killed us in Lewisburg and beat us "politely" in dream...

Lewisburg almost scuttled the Portland trip it was such a travesty...

Don... perhaps the third show you're remembering is when we won the Syracuse show at the end of '64 which was Cabs only loss... that show was almost single handedly responsible for the Grey Knight/Crusader Merger that created the super corps in '65... or you're like me and count prelims and finals separate... so we clearly beat them 3 times...

interesting side note. I graduated HS in '64 (50th reunion Saturday night if I'm well enough) and my Dad a drum corps guy himself didn't want me doing "big time" Brigs until I graduated... so in '64 I was still with Fulton Gauchos... I became the family traitor and ###### off many central NY friends by not going to Brigs in '65 but rather choosing to jump on the band wagon in '65 with the supercorps... and of our 50 horns, I was the only one who hadn't previously been a Crusader or Grey Knight.

incidentally our biggest win over cabs was in Prelims in Oregon...

• Like 1

Nope ... Rochester dumped them in Rome, NY as well:

Saturday July 31, 1965 Rome NY 15th Copper City Drum Pageant

STADIUM: Rome Free Academy American Legion

Position Corps Score

1 Rochester Crusaders 84.166

2 Hawthorne Caballeros 83.800

3 Hamburg Kingsmen 80.650

4 Syracuse Brigadiers 78.450

5 Reilly Raiders 75.366

6 Executives 65.766

... and there's a DCN article to verify it ...

:-)

I stand corrected. I thought Portland was their only loss. Thanks, Andy.

>>cru beat cabs 3 times that year and i don't remember the other show. peashey would know. <<

Just checked with fromthepressbox.com ... the scores for the Hershey show are from 1967 ... Cabs were not there ...

:-)

I'm here... and Peashey is still trying to recover from a week in the hospital and is quite scatterbrained right now, but I seem to think that we only beat them in Portland Prelims, Portland Finals and Rome... They killed us in Lewisburg and beat us "politely" in dream...

Lewisburg almost scuttled the Portland trip it was such a travesty...

Don... perhaps the third show you're remembering is when we won the Syracuse show at the end of '64 which was Cabs only loss... that show was almost single handedly responsible for the Grey Knight/Crusader Merger that created the super corps in '65... or you're like me and count prelims and finals separate... so we clearly beat them 3 times...

interesting side note. I graduated HS in '64 (50th reunion Saturday night if I'm well enough) and my Dad a drum corps guy himself didn't want me doing "big time" Brigs until I graduated... so in '64 I was still with Fulton Gauchos... I became the family traitor and ###### off many central NY friends by not going to Brigs in '65 but rather choosing to jump on the band wagon in '65 with the supercorps... and of our 50 horns, I was the only one who hadn't previously been a Crusader or Grey Knight.

incidentally our biggest win over cabs was in Prelims in Oregon...

ok. i thought there was another show in 65. no i never count any prelims. it's just a qualifier.

perhaps... but we had to beat them by a lot in prelims to beat them by a little in finals... without the statement in prelims... no way do we beat them in finals...

• 3 weeks later...

The worse retreat ever had to be 81 DCA in Philly ,where after the scores were given all corps where given an about face and walked off the field and out of the stadium .Only corps that remained on the field was the so called winner .