Recaps and "content" scores - BD, Cadets, BC, Crown, SCV

Idk Crown's hornline is the best hands down BUT they do beat you down with the whole "HEY LOOK I CAN TRIPLE TONGUE BETTER THAN YOU" or "HEY DAD LOOK HOW FAST I CAN PLAY MY RUNS".

I'm sorry but are those not legitimate performance techniques to make music? So I don't understand why you would be "beat down" by a performance because of the technical excellence necessary to perform the music.

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 1

I'm sorry but are those not legitimate performance techniques to make music? So I don't understand why you would be "beat down" by a performance because of the technical excellence necessary to perform the music.

I wasn't criticizing Crown by any means. They probably have my favorite horn book this year. I'm just saying that the way their music has been written the past 3 years, it's as if they are trying to beat you down with techniques. Think back to their shows from 2007-2011. While their hornline was still amazingly balanced, loud, and impressive, they didn't play the absolutely ridiculous and technical things that they started to play in 2012. They've made it their style to play music that's in your face. You're just assuming that I take that as a bad thing.

I wasn't criticizing Crown by any means. They probably have my favorite horn book this year. I'm just saying that the way their music has been written the past 3 years, it's as if they are trying to beat you down with techniques. Think back to their shows from 2007-2011. While their hornline was still amazingly balanced, loud, and impressive, they didn't play the absolutely ridiculous and technical things that they started to play in 2012. They've made it their style to play music that's in your face. You're just assuming that I take that as a bad thing.

That's cool. There have been a few people on DCP that accused them of playing a lot of notes just for the sake of playing a lot of notes. That's what I was thinking of.

I have no problem being "beat over the head" with their technique. I want to hear more of it. That is what this activity is all about! Show me what you can play. Play more please.

• Like 1

Crown didn't play that stuff in those years because they didn't have the talent. If they had, those horn books would have been much harder.

Well, they had the talent in 2010 and 2011, but the talent of those lines wasn't really properly utilized.

Didn't Phantom have a series of years there where their sopranos did alot of technical stuff? Maybe not to the extent of Crown, but it was a highlight of their shows....nothing wrong with accentuating the positive...Cavies did it with drill, BD with cleanliness...might as well use what ya got while ya got it...