Quality of all Non Finalists

I was going through San Antonio today, and I've been primarily been watching from Spirit of Atlanta down, as well as reflecting on Drums Along the Rockies. I've been following since 2008 and going to live shows since 2009, so I don't really have too much prior knowledge before that as far as seeing live performances go. But I am just absolutely blown away at the progression that I have seen over the 6 years I've been following the activity in the corps that place 16th and lower. Year in year out, there are shows that are favorites of the year that are farther down in the placements. Seattle Cascades "Turn", The Academy's "Vanity Fair", Pacific Crest's "No Strings Attached", and Oregon Crusaders "Nevermore" are all shows that I HUGELY enjoy this year, and it blows my mind that they're sitting in the positions that they are. Not in the sense that I think they should be higher, but in the fact that the amount of excellence runs that deep. This year reminds me of 2011, where so many non finalists had some of my favorite shows that year.

I guess my question is, is this the best the non finalist corps have ever been? Like I said, I haven't seen any of these corps live pre 2009, and I know that seeing a show live can be much different. I'd love some insight from those of you who have been involved so much longer than me. Love to gain insight on what the activity was and has become.

So many great shows this year.

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 2

I guess it depends on what your criteria for "best" are. Based on videos, I'm pretty sure I'd rather listen to nos. 24 and 25 from 1989 (Limited Edition and Railmen) than to nos. 24 and 25 from 2014 (Spartans and Cascades), but I've seen none of those shows live. Generally, by 1989 standards, modern shows often are pretty choppy. By 2014 standards, on the other hand, 1980s shows are technically easy, especially visually. (Although brass and battery perhaps had more musical responsibilities in an era without synthesizers or amplified pit percussion. I remember people being shocked last year by how thin Phantom's horn line sounded at some East coast show on the FN where weather prevented them from using synth to beef it up.)

The talent level is way up but show concepts make me scratch my head and say " is THAT the best you can come up with?"

( however, Louisiana Stars surprised me for a first year corps )

• Like 1

In my opinion, the non-finalist corps are markedly better now than they were back when I marched. I am continually astounded by the top to bottom quality of the shows these days. In the late 80's, you would have really good corps in the 13-15 range (I am thinking of corps like 87 Wave, 88 and 89 Dutch Boy, 89 Spirit, etc) but there was a pretty significant drop after that. Not that the corps were not fun or entertaining, just not as good quality wise.

I was going through San Antonio today, and I've been primarily been watching from Spirit of Atlanta down, as well as reflecting on Drums Along the Rockies. I've been following since 2008 and going to live shows since 2009, so I don't really have too much prior knowledge before that as far as seeing live performances go. But I am just absolutely blown away at the progression that I have seen over the 6 years I've been following the activity in the corps that place 16th and lower. Year in year out, there are shows that are favorites of the year that are farther down in the placements. Seattle Cascades "Turn", The Academy's "Vanity Fair", Pacific Crest's "No Strings Attached", and Oregon Crusaders "Nevermore" are all shows that I HUGELY enjoy this year, and it blows my mind that they're sitting in the positions that they are. Not in the sense that I think they should be higher, but in the fact that the amount of excellence runs that deep. This year reminds me of 2011, where so many non finalists had some of my favorite shows that year.

I guess my question is, is this the best the non finalist corps have ever been? Like I said, I haven't seen any of these corps live pre 2009, and I know that seeing a show live can be much different. I'd love some insight from those of you who have been involved so much longer than me. Love to gain insight on what the activity was and has become.

So many great shows this year.

It depends on how you define best, and you mention a lot of corps below 16th when below 12th is a non finalist.

I think it's one of the better years by any measure, but best is too definite of a call.

• Like 1

At the start of the season I remember thinking how much our local Open class corps have improved in the 5 years my kid has been marching, and then how much his corps has improved at the beginning of the season as well. 5 years ago, his WC corps didn't have much of the show done and what was not good but in the last 2 years, full WC show and very impressive Open groups. I think it's because the kids keep wanting to get better and I am proud of them all and the communities that support them. I will let the veteran DCPers argue about best, but certainly the caliber of show (like it or don't) is raising. That is my opinion and maybe everyone who marches or supports those that do go thru this but I feel like the activity is improving.

...with a doubt, yes. Its brutal out there. I don't know what the DCP consensus is, but as someone who's been in the trenches for a minute, yeah, there are many high quality groups all through the World Class, more than ever.

• Like 1