exactly 45 years ago today

sigh... between Brigs and Cru I'll bet I came in 8th too many times at DCA Championships... 8th in 69 as I was still with Brigs

68 with Brigs was my highest finish in 13 tries as a performer... (66 through 78)

BUT,

The SHOW that WON the American Legion Nationals. The FIRST Corps to do a FULL Theme show (Guard had different Uniforms, Special Flags, and All music for an Entire "Theme". The Corps that the FANS went absolutely wild for. Had the Longest response too. The 1969 Yankee Rebels. Here is a Quote for CorpsReps :

" It was said that it took 24 years for the Yankee Rebels to reach their summit. The group didn't win every contest, but they did take more than their share, and that included the 1969 American Legion Nationals in Atlanta. The crowd applauded for over ten minutes at the conclusion of that memorable show. The Yankee Rebels won not only the show but also the hearts of the drum corps world. "

The Corps had them cheering still - AFTER - the Corps was No Longer even in the Stadium. The Crowd at the "Dream" in Jersey City, NJ about the same. I had, high up at 50 yard line seats at Both. Never seen anything like it, Before or Since.

we followed the rebels in atlanta. we were on the ready line. and when we did our show nobody knew we were there. nor did they care.

I LOVE reading posts where people still get enraged from shows that happened 45 years ago. I wonder if my friends and I will do this when we are old. Oh, wait that's right. We already do. :)

being enraged is one thing. being an idiot about it is another.

sigh... between Brigs and Cru I'll bet I came in 8th too many times at DCA Championships... 8th in 69 as I was still with Brigs

68 with Brigs was my highest finish in 13 tries as a performer... (66 through 78)

Tom, I recall 68 DCA finals and the top 5, outside of Reading were real close. All close to within a point I believe. Brigs brass were extraordinary that night. At the Dream, top 4 were all within 4 tenths of each other, with Hurcs winning.

Reading had the map in hand for the 68 season, but we were all in the car that year.

Tom, I recall 68 DCA finals and the top 5, outside of Reading were real close. All close to within a point I believe. Brigs brass were extraordinary that night. At the Dream, top 4 were all within 4 tenths of each other, with Hurcs winning.

Reading had the map in hand for the 68 season, but we were all in the car that year.

remember sky took 2nd at prelims and 5th at night. my jaw dropped. we moved up. i was happy about that. but i wanted to beat brigs. ya know the rivalry.

>>

68 was an interesting season alright. Seemed like every contest was a "Who Knows?", but ya always knew Reading would be on.

<<

68 ... the year of the "new" sheets ... and Reading exploited them ...

Kudos to them ...

:-)

>>

68 was an interesting season alright. Seemed like every contest was a "Who Knows?", but ya always knew Reading would be on.

<<

Kudos to them ...

You know I'd never disagree with you as you're 1,000X smarter than I at this stuff, but when you say they "exploited" new sheets it makes it sound as if they got by on a technicality.

That was one solid drum corps, top to bottom. Smart enough to understand where the acitivity was going, yes, but they could have won that year if the sheets were being written with goose blood on stone tablets.

That was a great season for DCA in general, Reading & Sun specifically. Good times.

>>

<<

Kudos to them ...

yup. that whole new way of doing GE. and what was it 30 points total. and how many GE judges was it? 6 ithink at DCA. you would remember better than me andy. you are the historian. :thumbup: