Keepsakes from marching

I still have my gauntlets and cords from Madison in the late 90s. Not sure what they do now, though. I know that members receive a nail with the name of a Scouts alum as part of a program connecting members across generations.

SW we kept our shakos when we aged out. Mine still sits on my desk.

I still have my last pair of rehearsal gloves. My tour backpack. A valve cap I broke off my horn by accident one day. All my music and drill from my marching years.

I have all of these things.

These and the back pain...

• Like 1

Initiated Cavaliers also receive a blank white gear their second year during pre-tour. A cavalier will always have one more gear than the years he marched.

Blue Knights members all wear a necklace with a teal/blue washer on it.

Boston Crusaders members all wear a necklace with a medallion bearing a Waldo (aka the red dragon thing in their logo) on it. And they get certain colored beads depending on how many years they march.

Blue Stars members all wear a necklace with a tiny silver washer between a black bead and a white bead.

Blue Knights members all wear a necklace with a teal/blue washer on it.

Boston Crusaders members all wear a necklace with a medallion bearing a Waldo (aka the red dragon thing in their logo) on it. And they get certain colored beads depending on how many years they march.

Blue Stars members all wear a necklace with a tiny silver washer between a black bead and a white bead.

The "red dragon" thing is actually a Lion.

• Like 1

Troopers who age out: cross sabers

Not sure if this is still happening: scarf rings (a la classic Trooper uniforms) for each year marched

Troopers drumline (newer tradition): buttons from the vintage Troopers uniforms on necklace - I think this may have started when the corps re-emerged after their year off in 2006. No matter when it started, when I first saw those buttons around their necks I cried with pride. Not ashamed to say it.

I know there are others, but I don't know enough about them to give details.

I got to keep my aussie, cords, and guantlets when I aged out. They still hang on my wall.