I also see the top 12 as done, with Colts having an outside shot with lots of music improvement and cleaning.

It is a top twelve show overall, and I think top 8 visually.

Troopers have an outside shot but would have needed to add some changes that increase depth of design.

Guard writing and performance would need marked improvement.

I too agree that the corps most likely to move is Spirit. Unfortunately, down. Unless they have made major

changes and cleaned up a lot. Fear there is just not enough time. Think the tie with Colts last night was their

bone. We'lll see how they respond.

All said, great corps in this 12-19 range.

No matter what corps takes 12th, its becoming more and more ridiculous that we won't be able to get HD copies of the non-Finalists.

Agreed. And the option between high cam and multi cam.

• Like 1

Troopers have an outside shot but would have needed to add some changes that increase depth of design.

Guard writing and performance would need marked improvement.

I struggle with this assessment.

To even the untrained eye, the Troopers visual package in 2014 is "deeper" than 2013. It has a greater number of connection points to the music, i.e. when you hear something in the music, you see a visual expression of that musical moment, and you see more of that in 2014 than in 2013. It has more exposure -- there's more material that needs to be mastered and executed perfectly. There is more overall movement. There is a continual connection to the Lincoln motif, from the first script "L" to the "waves of grain" to the final "16" in the closing set. As drill, it is more demanding than the 2013 show.

So I don't get how the 2014 Troopers show lacks for "depth," in comparison to last year. Looking at the 2013 "Magnificent 11" show, would anyone say the 2014 show is a step backward in "depth"? I just don't see how.

Of course, with elevated demand and sophistication comes the need for elevated execution. Bringing 2013-level execution to the 2014 design will yield a visual performance that may look worse than 2013. Better, more rewarding design demands higher levels of execution to look equally as clean as lesser execution of a simpler design. At least that's what the experts tell me.

And, of course, it's entirely possible that other corps have upped their own visual games in 2014, even more than the Troopers have upped theirs. No one is competing against a 2013 corps.

Is the guard somehow lesser than it was in 2013? Is the equipment work diminished? I don't know. Maybe. I defer to better authorities on color guard.

Still, I'm frustrated by the assertion that the Troopers have put out a visually thin show when the evidence suggests they have put their most visually rich and demanding work on the field in a long time.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman
  • Like 1

I really think BDB has a good chance of overtaking Mandarins and maybe coming very close to Pacific Crest. At the rate they are going hitting 80 is a very real possibility for them. Earlier this year after seeing all of them I didn't think so but apparently the B corps has really shot up due to that great hornline. (perhaps their best ever)

Either way the California corps are doing great and I wish them all good luck especially SCV Cadets and BDB!

Thanks for coming out west Crossmen!

I hope it is not set - has the activity changed to the degree that design has outweighed execution & selling the show? Again I bring up 1979 - Crossmen seemed a lock for 6-9th; Troopers around 16th. Crossmen had handily beaten Troopers all season, but Troopers beat Crossmen only once - when it mattered. Crossmen went on before Troopers and had a lackluster performance; Troopers had a legendary performance, and ahter the dust settled were up by 0.2 on Crossmen. Here is a copy of the Brass GE judge tape. Take a listen

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=6ktuvQYWygI

IMO the only "LOCK" in DCI right now is Devils to win.

While I do think we'll see a BD victory this year, don't rule out Cadets. "Angels and Demons" did not heat up until shortly before Indy. I recall seeing them a week before finals and never thought they would win solid second at best. I'm not saying history will repeat itself, but it could.

I hope it is not set - has the activity changed to the degree that design has outweighed execution & selling the show? Again I bring up 1979 - Crossmen seemed a lock for 6-9th; Troopers around 16th. Crossmen had handily beaten Troopers all season, but Troopers beat Crossmen only once - when it mattered. Crossmen went on before Troopers and had a lackluster performance; Troopers had a legendary performance, and ahter the dust settled were up by 0.2 on Crossmen. Here is a copy of the Brass GE judge tape. Take a listen

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=6ktuvQYWygI

Same thing happened between Crossmen and Blue Stars in 2012.

From the Blue Knights head-to-head feature (gotta love it!!):

Crossmen vs. Blue Stars

Total Score

date

show

Crossmen

Blue Stars

Winner

Margin

7/14/2012

Minneapolis, MN

Blue Stars