I don't think Cap was suggesting that BD would actually fall to pieces. He's wondering if BD were to completely fall apart and put in a performance objectively worse than the 13th-place corps in prelims, whether the judges would call it as they see it and leave BD out of finals. In other words, is BD's reputation -- and the judge's expectations -- such that a total collapse wouldn't be enough to prevent them from making finals?

I don't see a lot of evidence that judges are afraid to put BD lower when that's what their performance warrants. One famous example is finals 2008 when BD's percussion/music ensemble had a rough run, and those judges called it.

At worst, there might be a couple of visual judges who see things through blue-tinted glasses. But even that is more a matter of rewarding BD's stylistic choices over others, rather than putting them up when their performance doesn't deserve it.

I don't think Cap was suggesting that BD would actually fall to pieces. He's wondering if BD were to completely fall apart and put in a performance objectively worse than the 13th-place corps in prelims, whether the judges would call it as they see it and leave BD out of finals. In other words, is BD's reputation -- and the judge's expectations -- such that a total collapse wouldn't be enough to prevent them from making finals?

Yes, you said it far better than I

I don't see a lot of evidence that judges are afraid to put BD lower when that's what their performance warrants. One famous example is finals 2008 when BD's percussion/music ensemble had a rough run, and those judges called it.

At worst, there might be a couple of visual judges who see things through blue-tinted glasses. But even that is more a matter of rewarding BD's stylistic choices over others, rather than putting them up when their performance doesn't deserve it.

See, that's where I'm not sure.

I could see judges getting it right on the Achiv/Exc but over-rewarding the Cont/Comp/Sbst subcaptions.

On the other hand, we do have BD 2005 (4th which is still incredible lol). That year the GE judges didn't seem to care for the, and their drumline suffered too. They lagged in Visual Performance (Performance), but did just fine in Visual Performance (Rep).

I gotta say, I believe that big name designers get a wink and a nod from time to time and when it can be done without causing controversy in their community.

Edited by jjeffeory

BD gets the Jordan foul calls and I say that as a Bulls fan

They earned it

You have to win by KO and not points to beat BD

BITD the prospect of beating by a KO would have been a very likely scenario...AFTER the show, at least. :peek:

See, that's where I'm not sure.

I could see judges getting it right on the Achiv/Exc but over-rewarding the Cont/Comp/Sbst subcaptions.

On the other hand, we do have BD 2005 (4th which is still incredible lol). That year the GE judges didn't seem to care for the, and their drumline suffered too. They lagged in Visual Performance (Performance), but did just fine in Visual Performance (Rep).

I gotta say, I believe that big name designers get a wink and a nod from time to time and when it can be done without causing controversy in their community.

I kind of makes me wonder if there might be a way to 'game' the demand and execution captions similar to the way Madison did at 1966 VFW that led to the IC Reveries sit-in. I must ponder this for a bit...

I kind of makes me wonder if there might be a way to 'game' the demand and execution captions similar to the way Madison did at 1966 VFW that led to the IC Reveries sit-in. I must ponder this for a bit...

Yes, I believe that there is a way to do this, and I believe that it has happened, but DCP would kill me if I told.

Actually, I did mention it in the last couple of days somewhere on here casually, but I haven't explicitly said it lest I be accused of being a hater towards particular corps.

I will say that if you change the definition of demand and execution and get people to focus on what you want them to focus upon, that's most of it.

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 1