Things to do in Allentown area?

So if I am driving up from Reagan National airport in Arlington (DC), I should avoid I-95? Should I avoid it the whole time (between DC and Baltimore as well?). I see on Google there are a few main ways to get to Allentown.

So if I am driving up from Reagan National airport in Arlington (DC), I should avoid I-95? Should I avoid it the whole time (between DC and Baltimore as well?). I see on Google there are a few main ways to get to Allentown.

I've lived in DC and NoVa recently and I would avoid I-95 during the weekends and several other times during the day because of traffic. ( 185 miles, 3 hours 12 mins)

What about going through Gettysburg via I83 to US30 to US222? That's 182 mi, 3 hours and 17 minutes and less chance for traffic delays through 4 metro areas.

• Like 1

I've lived in DC and NoVa recently and I would avoid I-95 during the weekends and several other times during the day because of traffic. ( 185 miles, 3 hours 12 mins)

What about going through Gettysburg via I83 to US30 to US222? That's 182 mi, 3 hours and 17 minutes and less chance for traffic delays through 4 metro areas.

That's great info. Thanks!
  • Like 1

That's great info. Thanks!

what time does your flight land in DC? Rush hour always starts early on Fridays, especially in the summer. If you can get out of the DC beltway by 2pm on Friday you should be mostly safe for DC, but will hit the beginning of Baltimore rush hour.

I strongly advise against the BW Parkway (295)

In addition to jjeffeory's suggestion, you might want to consider 270N to 15N to 81E... this way avoids Baltimore.

I recommend you run google maps THIS Friday and see what it says for the various routes if you get in your rental car at 130, 2, 230, 3, etc.

If you are getting to DC at like 11am, you shouldn't have traffic troubles.

• Like 1

what time does your flight land in DC? Rush hour always starts early on Fridays, especially in the summer. If you can get out of the DC beltway by 2pm on Friday you should be mostly safe for DC, but will hit the beginning of Baltimore rush hour.

I strongly advise against the BW Parkway (295)

In addition to jjeffeory's suggestion, you might want to consider 270N to 15N to 81E... this way avoids Baltimore.

I recommend you run google maps THIS Friday and see what it says for the various routes if you get in your rental car at 130, 2, 230, 3, etc.

If you are getting to DC at like 11am, you shouldn't have traffic troubles.

Leaving DC at noon. Definitely going to avoid I-95 anyway. According to google maps, it doesn't add a lot of time to go those alternative routes.

what day of the week? Friday? time you'd be driving up? that will make a huge difference - I can help if you give me the specifics - I live in DC and have driven to Allentown many times lol

what day of the week? Friday? time you'd be driving up? that will make a huge difference - I can help if you give me the specifics - I live in DC and have driven to Allentown many times lol

Yep, Friday, leaving Reagan national at noonish, driving directly to allentown.

Leaving DC at noon. Definitely going to avoid I-95 anyway. According to google maps, it doesn't add a lot of time to go those alternative routes.

Just saw this - go this way, it is your best bet.

Avoid 270N - it is a nightmare

You have two basic options - if you BRING your EZPass (if you have one) use 95N straight up to almost Philly and use 476N to Allentown. This takes about 3 hours - there are tolls, stay left lane for EZ Pass. You will be just ahead of traffic which picks up out of DC at about 2pm on a Friday and out of Baltimore about 3:30 on a Friday. You should be OK. You might hit some congestion just north of Baltimore due to road construction but that will open up in about 10 minutes.
If you do NOT have EZPass then go 95N (do not use 295N which many mapquests will tell you to do, it is horrific on a Friday) and head up to Baltimore Beltway (695N) to 83N to Rt. 222N to Allentown - that way takes 3.5 hours, 222N is good for stretches and slow for spots... you spend over 60 miles on it which is why I prefer 95N.
Either way have a safe trip - if I can help PM me.
Edited by George Dixon

So many helpful posts! Wish I knew who each one of you was in person so I could buy you a root beer snowcone in Allentown!