One Person's Thoughts on Animal Farm.

Good read!

Just to step aside for a moment, I want to say the Crusaders have taken on a controversial program, in both design and message, they surely knew would be a 'tough sell.'

Viewing them from Atlanta indicates they are performing the H*LL out of it, improving every time out, showing high level skill. Very strong corps. They are probably just about maxed out for final placement, unfortunately.

Edited by Fred Windish

Concepts that communicate well via the drum corps show idiom: "Tilt - Hey look, the field is slanted, and they lean a lot, and hold their horns at angles, and..."

Concepts that don't communicate well via the drum corps show idiom: "This set represents slide 12 of Hopkins' G7 powerpoint. Notice how the letters B, A and C appear nowhere on the field..."

I'm glad Boston is trying to stretch the envelope, but I'm pretty confident that 0% of the audience would figure out that Animal-farm-as-allegory-for-DCI by just watching the show.

• Like 3

"Show" being superior to "Tell" is a common rule in any artistic medium. People often criticize shows like The Office and Modern Family for having a cheap effect of a talking head where characters can simply sit down and tell you how they are feeling, rather than just you watching them and having to figure it out for yourself. DCI of course is becoming that way, where if you're "telling" the audience something it somehow becomes more effective and typically gets you higher scores. Unfortunately I don't think it should be that way.

I love that Boston went the "Show" route rather than the "Tell" route.

Edited by NR_Ohiobando
  • Like 6

" Animal Farm was written by George Orwell, in England on 17 August 1945. The book reflects events leading up to the Russian Revolution of 1917 and then on into the Stalin era in the Soviet Union Orwell, was a critic of Stalinism, which, he believed, had become a brutal dictatorship, and enforced by a reign of terror., Orwell described Animal Farm as a satirical tale against Stalin

Old Major, the old boar on the Manor Farm, summons the animals on the farm together for a meeting, ( in 1970 they called all the drum corps together for a meeting) during which he refers to humans ( schlecter , American legion , VFW ) as parasites and teaches the animal s( the corps ) a revolutionary song called Beasts of England ( this song beast of England is what latter became my darling clementine).

<HUGE SNIP>

( Comes full cycle back to 1971 ) As the animals look from pigs to humans, they realize they can no longer distinguish between the two.( Schlecter and Hopkins)"

or+OR+OR..+I+could+play+the+game+I+enjoy

I love the show and the guts it took to put this on the field.

I found the parallels somewhat obvious after seeing it live then watching a second time on FN and looking for specific elements from Animal Farm (book). The G7 formation in the middle of the show was the clue to watch it again and look for the parallels between DCI organizing/politics and the show.

Then again, I've actually read Animal Farm.

• Like 4