One Person's Thoughts on Animal Farm.

Probably. Then again, I'd rather not speak for others when sharing my opinion.

So you've read the book, seen the show, heard all the drama and still missed the point of the show and the corps? Too bad. It would seem you misunderstand the difficulty of this show and the organizations choice not to take the easy way out. I would hazard to say this was a collaborative decision on the shows design. Is it a simpler show that is appealing for you? The corps is looking to and making an investment (in a number of ways) in the future not the short term satisfaction of fans. I would suggest revieiwng some of the commentary here and give it some thought about what is being presented by BAC.

I don't understand when there's talk of "planning for the future" with corps. There's some much turnover year to year with membership, and for many corps, their staff as well, that each season seems pretty independent of any other season to dumb old me. And, while some corps may have some ideas about their show/concept/music for next year, I doubt most do.

I don't understand when there's talk of "planning for the future" with corps. There's some much turnover year to year with membership, and for many corps, their staff as well, that each season seems pretty independent of any other season to dumb old me. And, while some corps may have some ideas about their show/concept/music for next year, I doubt most do.

Corps staffs can have an idea for direction for the future and work to build a program, especially with a new staff coming in. When a new staff is in its first year at a corps, its teaching the fundamentals and the new teaching philosophy to the corps. The second year then is usually used to build on that foundation, as now the vets that are there have that base to build off of and are able to help pull the new rookies along with them and in the process can help elevate the whole ensemble to a new level. The same can be said for high school band programs when there is a change in directors. The first year or two can be rough...VERY rough, but after the new director has had a few years to establish their philosopy, then a program can be taken to a new level if the director (or corps staff) are determined and driven enough, or plan and desire for that goal.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the person who OK'd their read of Animal Farm to be the initial post of this topic, has given an OK to post any part of his post Finals thoughts. As always, alumni should read at their own peril.

"Well the season is now over , they came in 10th , the season started with a cloak of secrecy

regarding their program , it also started with encouraging words from BAC management that set a top

5 expectation. They had a very talented corps of marching members. BAC management hit the public

relations button early and often , both about the Corps itself and its expansion into new

partnerships and alliances.

BAC greatly expanded their infrastructure , adding many new resources and layers ,top to bottom to

their organization. Inherent in this is the fact that they added many new faces making many

decisions who have not had a lot of Crusader experience.

To sum this up any one of these factors would be significant to adopt/achieve in a given off season

, but managing through the cumulative impact of all these factors makes it a next to impossible

situation to effectively manage.

Add to all this the fact that they decide to install a very complex and demanding program for 2014

, and for good measure throw in a series of very controversial and satirical program segments aimed

directly at the governing body they are part of , and you end up with a potential recipe for

disaster. All of this is very significant departure of past practices for BAC.

Speaking as a fan , I really enjoyed their program and performances and remain a loyal fan. On the

other side of this looking at it as a Business/ operating entity , I have to question the

effectiveness of their overall operating strategy and while I would give the corps itself (MM) and

direct field/caption staff an A , I would give the upper management staff and decision makers a C at

best.

The "C" isn't the result of their programs design per se , but rather a result of what I perceived

to be a carefully designed less "friendly ", more aggressive approach to both DCI and other corps.

I'm not making a judgment call on whether it was deserving or not , but I do question the timing of

introducing this new attitude approach , especially given the newness of the management staff. I'm

not sure whether this shift in attitude was pre-planned , or whether it just emerged as the season

progressed . As an example , why did the meaning and history of the term B-A-C suddenly take such a

formal place in this year's program. That is something that emerged in the 60's and became a very

meaningful term to past corps participants , it belongs to them , because they lived it , it doesn't

have the same meaning /impact today as it did 50 years ago , why roll it out now ? To most non BAC

fans it only served to be an example to them on Boston whining . This year's corps may have deserved

more than trying to live in the shadows of the past glory days. This year's program and corps

members had the potential to make their own mark. , but I think it all somehow came down to where

the management of BAC may have bit off more than they could chew , in their attempt to revitalize

the Boston Crusader Brand , expand their business plan through acquisitions and partnerships , and

in doing this took their eye off of what is and has been there core competency, which is the

business and performance of their drum corps.

In short this year was lost before the first contest started , finishing 10th had less to do with

on the field execution and performance and more to do with the cumulative effect of all the

distractions mentioned above associated with managing the Business of Drum Corps. There may be an

expanding strategic "GAP" between where the Crusader drum corps is heading and where the business

entity that it is now part of is heading .

OK finally I have a question remaining that will stay with me until I unearth an answer;

Given the above and given there is a totally new staff involved in the program development ( who do

not have strong ties to BAC from the past) . Who decided that this year would be a good year to

"attack" DCI , G7 , and dredge up the myth associated with the term BAC.

The next question I have is WHY ? What purpose was it designed to serve. Why would a bunch of

highly regarded newbies , who probably didn't even know how to spell BAC , design a program which

they knew would end up focusing on the controversy rather than on the performers. 10th place was

like shooting the messenger.. Anybody got any answers/thoughts to these questions ????? "

They wanted to challange the corps members. Boston tried a new experimental direction. Not sure why its a problem. It sets them up great for the next few years now that they know what it takes and what risks were not worth taking. I can promise you the mm have loved this show and are happy to be pushed to their limits. On the note of the political commentary, I find it to be in the spirit of Boston to be fearless about speaking its mind and not everyone is going to agree or thinks its ok but in the end it follows the Animal Farm theme and shares that same firey spirit that it's members hold.

• Like 4

Well, the person who OK'd their read of Animal Farm to be the initial post of this topic, has given an OK to post any part of his post Finals thoughts. As always, alumni should read at their own peril.

"Well the season is now over , they came in 10th , the season started with a cloak of secrecy

regarding their program , it also started with encouraging words from BAC management that set a top

5 expectation. They had a very talented corps of marching members. BAC management hit the public

relations button early and often , both about the Corps itself and its expansion into new

partnerships and alliances.

BAC greatly expanded their infrastructure , adding many new resources and layers ,top to bottom to

their organization. Inherent in this is the fact that they added many new faces making many

decisions who have not had a lot of Crusader experience.

To sum this up any one of these factors would be significant to adopt/achieve in a given off season

, but managing through the cumulative impact of all these factors makes it a next to impossible

situation to effectively manage.

Add to all this the fact that they decide to install a very complex and demanding program for 2014

, and for good measure throw in a series of very controversial and satirical program segments aimed

directly at the governing body they are part of , and you end up with a potential recipe for

disaster. All of this is very significant departure of past practices for BAC.

Speaking as a fan , I really enjoyed their program and performances and remain a loyal fan. On the

other side of this looking at it as a Business/ operating entity , I have to question the

effectiveness of their overall operating strategy and while I would give the corps itself (MM) and

direct field/caption staff an A , I would give the upper management staff and decision makers a C at

best.

The "C" isn't the result of their programs design per se , but rather a result of what I perceived

to be a carefully designed less "friendly ", more aggressive approach to both DCI and other corps.

I'm not making a judgment call on whether it was deserving or not , but I do question the timing of

introducing this new attitude approach , especially given the newness of the management staff. I'm

not sure whether this shift in attitude was pre-planned , or whether it just emerged as the season

progressed . As an example , why did the meaning and history of the term B-A-C suddenly take such a

formal place in this year's program. That is something that emerged in the 60's and became a very

meaningful term to past corps participants , it belongs to them , because they lived it , it doesn't

have the same meaning /impact today as it did 50 years ago , why roll it out now ? To most non BAC

fans it only served to be an example to them on Boston whining . This year's corps may have deserved

more than trying to live in the shadows of the past glory days. This year's program and corps

members had the potential to make their own mark. , but I think it all somehow came down to where

the management of BAC may have bit off more than they could chew , in their attempt to revitalize

the Boston Crusader Brand , expand their business plan through acquisitions and partnerships , and

in doing this took their eye off of what is and has been there core competency, which is the

business and performance of their drum corps.

In short this year was lost before the first contest started , finishing 10th had less to do with

on the field execution and performance and more to do with the cumulative effect of all the

distractions mentioned above associated with managing the Business of Drum Corps. There may be an

expanding strategic "GAP" between where the Crusader drum corps is heading and where the business

entity that it is now part of is heading .

OK finally I have a question remaining that will stay with me until I unearth an answer;

Given the above and given there is a totally new staff involved in the program development ( who do

not have strong ties to BAC from the past) . Who decided that this year would be a good year to

"attack" DCI , G7 , and dredge up the myth associated with the term BAC.

The next question I have is WHY ? What purpose was it designed to serve. Why would a bunch of

highly regarded newbies , who probably didn't even know how to spell BAC , design a program which

they knew would end up focusing on the controversy rather than on the performers. 10th place was

like shooting the messenger.. Anybody got any answers/thoughts to these questions ????? "

yeah ghost. Shut up once and for all. I for one am tired of your negativity cloaked on pompous concern . This is NOT YOUR BAC. It belongs to new MM's and administration. Supported by former alumni who need our unflinching support much like you had when the BAC you participated in was in your eyes better than this current group. You have a very lnegative and self righteous attitude towards this current corps and have freely taken whacks at the program, staff and now directly, the leadership. So take that for a little bit of BAC and give us all a break.
  • Like 2

yeah ghost. Shut up once and for all. I for one am tired of your negativity cloaked on pompous concern . This is NOT YOUR BAC. It belongs to new MM's and administration. Supported by former alumni who need our unflinching support much like you had when the BAC you participated in was in your eyes better than this current group. You have a very lnegative and self righteous attitude towards this current corps and have freely taken whacks at the program, staff and now directly, the leadership. So take that for a little bit of BAC and give us all a break.

The posted sentiments are not mine and the corps management has probably heard similar concerns before. I've never attended the periodic alumni luncheons, but understand there's no holding back during any question and answer portion. You can bet that this years show, goals, etc. will be discussed at the next one. The authors comments that you feel are negative are opinions and no corps should be upset with such questions, concerns, or feed back.

• Like 1

WOW!

Too bad Ghost couldn't choose some other drum corps to haunt. And, yes, the negative comments are both incessant and predictable. Furthermore, don't post a page long diatribe written by some unknown author and then hide behind the claim that those views are not shared by you. Why don't you ever offer anything positive?. There is a large group of alumni, myself included, that just as soon you move on..and don't imagine for one second that volunteering for one week on the food truck entitles you to attack the corps, its members, staff, or management in a public forum. It wouldn't have been tolerated in 1964, either. Perhaps the time has come for you to find another interest.

Edited by craiga