One Person's Thoughts on Animal Farm.

Yes, it's perfectly clear on the Semis video. It's less clear on the Prelims video, especially the first half. In my notebook from the "Big Loud and Live" broadcast, I wrote: "Is there a voice just before Conquest? 'Some animals are more equal than others?'" But that wasn't DCI trying to censor the message! The cinema screening had lots of audio issues, particularly as related to sounds from the pit.

On a tangent, I just notice that the soloist at the top of the ballad doesn't sound miked on the Semis video.

Good catch, there was a problem with that part of the sound system, and she wasn't miked Friday night.

Well obviously no one's going to make you defend your position now (although I can't recall you suggesting any particular change during the season, so it's not clear where you're "moving on" from ), but to my eyes, it looks like Boston did almost nothing but clean all summer long, to no avail, apparently because, as your second paragraph sort of suggests, cleaning alone was never going to be enough for a show so fiendishly difficult. All the late cosmetic changes they did make appear (1) to have been planned since the beginning and (2) to have taken almost no time from rehearsal. The few structural changes they made earlier were relatively small and seemingly all to the purpose, as you say of "setting the MMs up for success".

On a tangent, no one has yet mentioned that for a tenth-place finish, Boston's score was remarkably high. Here's where they fit historically:

1. 89.100 -- Suncoast Sound, "Symphonic Dances for the Contemporary Child" (1988)

2. 88.950 -- Madison Scouts, untitled ("Slaughter on 10th Avenue" and "Rhapsody in Blue") (2010)

2. 88.950 -- Boston Crusaders, "Animal Farm" (2014)

4. 88.225 -- Blue Knights, "A Midsummer Knight's Dream" (2005)

5. 87.750 -- Glassmen, "The Journey of One" (2009)

5. 87.750 -- Blue Knights, "NoBeginningNoEnd" (2013)

It was a very good year for drum corps, a lot of good shows, another year this show might have placed 8th? Still around the 7th thru 9th area they have been placing in recent years.

• Like 1

Try as you might, your spammish and blatant critiques of this corps just don't cut it. If you hadn't an agenda, I'd perhaps let it fly. You spread false and nasty rumors about their marching members back in 07-08, on this very website, which technically were in violation of HIPAA Laws. I hope you 'teach' better than you write and you lead a better example than that which you represent in your posts. The all-too-many first person singulars and self-promoting perhaps bely a deep insecurity? Will you be consultant prima-uno for the Crusaders' 75th Anniversary Plans? We here, in our private convos, certainly hope so.

So, Mary Queen of shots, give it a rest. Bless your litle heart, darling.

:augen51:

Edited by GUARDLING

This was one of favorite shows of the year, can’t recall the last time I said that about Boston. I liked it so much I bought some t-shirts for my pet-sitters. I would have liked without the G7 stuff but that just made it better. The G7 (not DCI) needs to be poked, they basically told Boston they are irrelevant and disposable. What’s really disposable is a few G7 shows this year that I’ll never watch or listen to ever again but I’ll go back Boston’s show, loved the music

Of course, being a cow perhaps; helped me connect more than the 2 legged butchers

This was one of favorite shows of the year, can’t recall the last time I said that about Boston.

That year for me was 2000 with Red. I was still talking about that show and the vocalizations with my parents when BAC took the field in Ft. Wayne. I also mentioned to them afterwards, that I'm such a sucker for dense Russian stuff performed on the field. Heh.

That year for me was 2000 with Red. I was still talking about that show and the vocalizations with my parents when BAC took the field in Ft. Wayne. I also mentioned to them afterwards, that I'm such a sucker for dense Russian stuff performed on the field. Heh.

This past week I was going through some CD's I had created from stuff downloaded from DCI. I came across Boston's 2004 "The Composition of Color." - 10 years ago and much more controversial than stuff we've experienced in the past few years. It was the same year that Crown sang "Seasons of Love" in their show.

I loved Boston's show that year - even more before the end of the season when the narration was changed. I thought the music was wonderful.

It would be nice to know what a corps had planned for a show before the judges got to it. Sometimes I think a lot of these changes are to please the judges and in the end, a lot of the edge in shows is subdued because a judge didn't like it.

Squaresville wins the day......

Edited by Lincoln

This past week I was going through some CD's I had created from stuff downloaded from DCI. I came across Boston's 2004 "The Composition of Color." - 10 years ago and much more controversial than stuff we've experienced in the past few years. It was the same year that Crown sang "Seasons of Love" in their show.

I loved Boston's show that year - even more before the end of the season when the narration was changed. I thought the music was wonderful.

It would be nice to know what a corps had planned for a show before the judges got to it. Sometimes I think a lot of these changes are to please the judges and in the end, a lot of the edge in shows is subdued because a judge didn't like it.

Squaresville wins the day......

A lot of people don't like early season shows...but I may be perhaps in the minority...I like early season stuff as it was originally intended before it is changed for whatever reason...

• Like 2

A lot of people don't like early season shows...but I may be perhaps in the minority...I like early season stuff as it was originally intended before it is changed for whatever reason...

I'm with you, Lia. Plus, it gives some perspective as to how the meaning might change over the summer -- and whether subsequent changes proved to be for the better, or for the worse.

Edited by HornTeacher

I agree - it's really neat to see early season shows, before a lot of more difficult or interesting stuff oftentimes gets cut out.

• 1 month later...

Boston scored 87.95 in Massillon then jumped to 89.125 at Prelims which was a 1.175 improvement. Unfortunately their scores went backwards from there. I would have loved to see them progressed in terms of scoring leading up to finals. Not sure why scores diminished. Looking forward to 2015 season.