West Chester Work-it-Out

Cavi's may catch up with SCV but they won't touch Crown the rest of the summer. Crown surges to 3rd in score in Allentown this weekend as they continue to improve endurance and clean a show with much higher demand and exposure to error

Crown is flatlining in GE and Visual (and, unfortunately for them, falling fast in percussion). SCV is the new likely 4th spot, and I'd have to believe that Cavaliers have a decent shot of either beating Crown or coming within a couple tenths by Finals (and for a corps that finished SO far out of the running the last two years, to be within .4 or .5 of the defending champs would be a pretty big achievement).

• Like 1

panel for tomorrow night - should answer a few questions with the "gap" considering all the top corps will be there

General Effect: Ken Turner from Apalachin, N.Y.
General Effect: Sylvester Sybilski from San Diego, Calif.
Visual Proficiency: Sal Adamo from Belleville, N.J.
Visual Analysis: Timothy Ochran from Tyler, Texas
Music Analysis: Garland Markham from Dallas, Ga.
Brass: Albert Lo from Denton, Texas
Percussion: Martin Griffin from Toms River, N.J.
Color Guard: Marie Czapinski from Forest Park, Ill.

Put Crown's percussion section up against The Cavaliers or Santa Clara and Crown can't make up enough ground in brass to make up for their deficit in percussion. Look, I don't dislike Crown but they are quickly becoming the 1981 Blue Devils who finished first in every caption at DCI Finals -- with the exception of a ninth place in percussion -- and took second place overall behind Santa Clara.

The Cavaliers will finish ahead of Carolina Crown by the end of the season. Like it or not, Crown's drum line isn't on par with their brass line and their brass line is pretty much as good as it's going to get this year. There isn't much more they can do. The Cavaliers' brass line is far better than any season since 2006 but it's still not where it needs to be. Even so, I'm pleased especially given the corps is very young and a lot of the brass staff are new for 2014. Also, The Cavaliers' percussion section is a most pleasant surprise.

Fifth place at Finals...

Um . . . . I disagree with numerous statements. First, IMO the Cavaliers will have a tough time finishing ahead of Crown. While the drumline is really good for Cavaliers they are not winning the caption AND the Crown hornline will continue to get better and has been scoring higher than anyone in Brass. 19.3 is a huge statement. Do you really think Matt Harloff, Michael Klesch and the rest of that music staff will not push to the end!!?? Also, THE weak link for the green team is that hornline. They are better than last year but definitely not better than the 2007-11 Cavalier hornlines!

Crown is flatlining in GE and Visual (and, unfortunately for them, falling fast in percussion). SCV is the new likely 4th spot, and I'd have to believe that Cavaliers have a decent shot of either beating Crown or coming within a couple tenths by Finals (and for a corps that finished SO far out of the running the last two years, to be within .4 or .5 of the defending champs would be a pretty big achievement).

The numbers aren't indicating any "flatlining" for Crown. I don't dispute Cavi's being the comeback team of distinction however. Glad to see it too.

I will stand by my previous post. Show continues to clean nicely. Higher demand, big hearts and momentum help Crown surge

Edited by Tone Quality Matters
  • Like 1

Look, I don't dislike Crown but they are quickly becoming the 1981 Blue Devils who finished first in every caption at DCI Finals -- with the exception of a ninth place in percussion -- and took second place overall behind Santa Clara.

Except unlike BD in 81...Crown will finish first in only 1 caption.

Its really more a scoring and texture issue. While the line is likely still pretty young, the Cavaliers have never arranged their music books for power. This goes back to Saucedo where it was much more texture based and less about dynamic contrast. While this show has much better music than past years, I cant argue that Id love some good old fashioned power chords, voiced where they could sound like Crown and everyone else in the top 5. Its just a very different and transparent sound, versus the power and roar that most of the corps still play with these days.

You've explained it the way I've always wanted to explain it but could never say exactly how.

Albeit for Marie's number tonight you have not been watching the GE and Visual scores for Crown catching Cadets. With Marie judging I could have told before the show that she was going to dump Crown compared to the judges at the last 5-6 shows. George O's # in Atlanta was a statement that IF Crown cleans their visual program the numbers will be there.

• Like 1

Let me just say over the past 35 years or so there have been plenty of spirited debates within The Cavaliers' organization -- alumni, staff, and marching members -- over the brass arrangements. I have always come down on the side of letting men play like men but there is still some resistance to this. If you have seventy strong, athletic guys, let them do what they do best and arrange the book to encourage this. We had more power and punch in the early and mid-1980s for the most part with the exception of early 1982. There was a rehearsal in 1982 when things weren't sounding good at all, in fact, where it came to a head because a visiting brass instructor, one of great renown in the activity, came to help and in two hours the brass line sounded like a whole new section. The stands were vibrating at triple forte and we went home that night excited about taking that new sound on the road. Unfortunately the regular staff told us the very next day to just do it the old way -- and we were just deflated.

Except for Marie!

I emphasized "new" judges. Marie doesn't fall in that category.

• Like 1