Fan Network 20 dollar finals discout ?

Not buying discs? Perhaps.

Not buying tickets? Eh. 2013 finals ticket sales were larger than each of the other years in indy (yes the overall prelims+semis+finals was slightly down)

There is no venue that DCI can hold it where everyone could attend. Thats why Big Loud and Live is great, where almost 50k people can watch prelims in the next-best to being there experience.

And last year was their firat finals webcast. I bet they are adjusting to feedback, as they should.

But the webcast didn't stop their increasing finals attendance last year. And we will see if it does this year, i venture to guess "probably not".

Finals ticket sales have never surpassed their high of almost 40K live at Montreal in 1982. Even if they changed the venue to a larger stadium, I doubt they'd get anywhere near that number these days.

WTF? I thought it was 50 some odd dollars if you are a subscriber? So the 20 dollar "discount"brings it "down" to 55 dollar? So they send me an email under the false pretense that it's going to be 20 dollars cheaper but it isn't?

NFW hosers! With their crappy streaming this year I'm not taking the chance and getting hosed out of 55 bucks.

The email is pretty clear:

Remember, the DCI Finals webcast on Saturday, Aug. 9 is not included as part of your Fan Network subscription, however, as a loyal subscriber, you will receive a $20 discount on your order!

I think it's amusing... some people complain about price, others don't. Personally, I think you jumped to a conclusion, Flam, but hey, it happens.

I just wanted to point out that as the ramp up in pricing complaints start, the pricing is a simple formula. They charge whatever they think will bring in the most revenue. If they thought it was $200 per person, that's what it would be. Same with $20. All they want is the biggest pot of money after the show.

It's a monopoly on the content, so that's what you get. It's not good, bad, or anything. Just take it for what it is... an honest attempt to max out their revenue. It's how any sane company would do it. And really, when is the last time you said that about DCI?

I subscribe to DCIFN for $65 & semis is included. I have absolutely no desire to drop another $55 on finals to see the same shows I watched the night before at semis. I don't care that I am missing finals. The shows are the same.

• Like 3

$55 to see finals live and not have to go to Indy?

paid

• Like 1

I watched all of the live casts this season and never had a problem with dropouts, buffering, etc. The issues some are having could actually be on the CONSUMER end and the many variables with that across delivery systems. All things considered, the initial FanNetwork package price is a GREAT bargain, now even better after the addition of Allentown. Maybe think of the Allentown Bonus as a way to thank you for your patience with what is essentially still a new frontier for DCI.

• Like 2

I watched all of the live casts this season and never had a problem with dropouts, buffering, etc. The issues some are having could actually be on the CONSUMER end and the many variables with that across delivery systems. All things considered, the initial FanNetwork package price is a GREAT bargain, now even better after the addition of Allentown. Maybe think of the Allentown Bonus as a way to thank you for your patience with what is essentially still a new frontier for DCI.

I have to agree, I have had maybe a couple of burps since the very first year of Fan Network streaming. Last year and this year it has been flawless. Maybe I've just got really good coverage in my area? I'm in the Southernmost part of Houston using ATT Uverse at 18MB download speeds.

Edited by SFZFAN

I just wanted to point out that as the ramp up in pricing complaints start, the pricing is a simple formula. They charge whatever they think will bring in the most revenue. If they thought it was $200 per person, that's what it would be. Same with $20. All they want is the biggest pot of money after the show.

And I know drumcat knows this, but before somebody else states the obvious fact that DCI would sell a whole lot more Finals webcasts at $20 than at $55/$75, keep in mind that DCI isn't just considering the revenue from the webcast when they set the finals webcast price. DCI knows that to an extent webcast sales threaten to cannibalize the much more profitable live-in-Indy ticket sales and media sales. Make it cheap enough and maybe more people think like Jeff and say, next year, I'm staying home. So DCI is looking at the whole shebang, and that's part of the reason the finals webcast costs $55/$75 rather than $20. The higher price also limits the demand on the webcasting system.

• Like 2

People having problems with FN live should also keep in mind that their Internet Service Provider may be causing their issues. Remember how Comcast customers among others began having issues streamplaying on Netflix until Netflix paid Comcast off? I don't think DCI or Brightcove is paying off ISPs to smooth things over. Cable companies don't like video streamplaying because it chews up lots of bandwidth and keeps people from subscribing to and watching cable TV, and one of the ways they encourage people not to streamplay is by throttling it, causing freeze-ups. This doesn't account for all of the FN problems. There were problems in San Antonio where parts of the show locked up or dropped out even on replay of the live stream, so it seems like something happened there at Brightcove's end or in encoding.

• Like 1

Sorry DCI. You should offer it for 20 bucks with the Fan Network. Atlanta and San Antonio had record attendance despite both of them being streamed live and included on the Fan Network. I guess I will have to watch BD's winning performance in 2015!