Roughin' It at Rutgers

BD is not 2 points better than Cadets.

Yeah they are. IMO, Concord is better than the Cadets in every single area this year. Brass, Percussion, Guard, Visual, Effect, all of it.

I'll go even further out on the limb: the Bluecoats are better than the Cadets this year, too. Cadets' show design isn't as good as either Blue corps. The Blue Devils are already outperforming The Cadets, and by Finals the corps from Canton might be, too.

People talk about peaking early, I'd say it's not BD that's peaked already, but The Cadets.

• Like 9

Something about it taking awhile to get cars parked and the crowd in their seats. I'm not onsite. Just passing along what someone said earlier in this thread.

Yes, getting to park was a bear. There was some sort of soccer event in the soccer stadium too, that took a lot of parking.

I don't see this year's BD show as a watershed moment for the activity quite as much as Frameworks, The Zone, or even last years' Crown show( All the lower body movement this year, thanks to Crown), but I'm sure they're going to be squeaky clean again.

To score the highest score ever doesn't mean the show has to be a "watershed moment." All it means is that in that given year, that corps was that much better than the other corps on that one particular night in August. You can't compare year to year, or show to show. It's all about the show of the night. If Frameworks and The Zone were both the same year, I guarantee you they both would not have tied with the same score. It's about spreads and what box you are in, not actual percentage of scores. A perfect score in a caption does NOT mean that the given caption was 100% perfect that night. That's impossible. But it does mean that they were that much better than the rest of the competition that given night.

• Like 2

3lwZ5Rk.jpg

• Like 4

To score the highest score ever doesn't mean the show has to be a "watershed moment." All it means is that in that given year, that corps was that much better than the other corps on that one particular night in August. You can't compare year to year, or show to show. It's all about the show of the night. If Frameworks and The Zone were both the same year, I guarantee you they both would not have tied with the same score. It's about spreads and what box you are in, not actual percentage of scores. A perfect score in a caption does NOT mean that the given caption was 100% perfect that night. That's impossible. But it does mean that they were that much better than the rest of the competition that given night.

Good luck explaining that to the people who was on this forum last year congratulating Crown for their PERFECT score in brass finals night.

• Like 2

I was curious how many times each corps' score has dropped this season. No idea what the results mean, but after a quick scan of DCP's stats:

1 -- SCV, OC, Mandarins

2 -- BD, BK, Stars

3 -- Xmen, Academy, Cascades

4 -- Phantom, BAC

5 -- Bloo, Cavs, Scouts, Troop, PC, Surf

6 -- Cadets, Crown, Colts, Spirit

9 -- Pioneer

• Like 1

I was curious how many times each corps' score has dropped this season. No idea what the results mean, but after a quick scan of DCP's stats:

1 -- SCV, OC, Mandarins

2 -- BD, BK, Stars

3 -- Xmen, Academy, Cascades

4 -- Phantom, BAC

5 -- Bloo, Cavs, Scouts, Troop, PC, Surf

6 -- Cadets, Crown, Colts, Spirit

9 -- Pioneer

This is actually quite insightful!

Just back from the show...

Folks, BD is for real. That spread was dead on! They were on a whole other level compared to the other corps, which is something I hate to admit. I sat next to a couple cadets alumni and some band directors and all of us kept saying how unbelievably good these guys are this year. If you haven't seen the show live, you have no room to talk. I'm a BD hater and am always rooting against them come championships but this group is really special with a great show. 99.15 definitely needs to be worried cause these guys should break it and deserve to break it.

Cadets had an off night in my opinion. They were better in rehearsal for sure. The new ending is good...but it just doesn't really work in a sense. Yes it closes the show nicely but it's just an odd ending. The crowd didn't know whether it was over or not so it was a very slow reaction...

Bluecoats were the crowd favorites easily. I honestly was worried at first as they seemed a bit "robotic" in the opener, meaning no emotion or passion really. Just flat in my opinion but boy did that change. That drumline stepped up and it was like another corps was on the field from that point on.

SCV was alright. A lot of people in my area, including me, seemed to like the show but no one looked like they loved it. Much smaller reaction from the crowd than Crown received.

Crown had a tough draw but it's still no excuse. I like the percussion book itself, though it could be more challenging, but it's just not working at all. The performance quality from this section is night and day from the brass. Brass were unbelievable as usual and guard had a good run finally. No shame in a loss to BD in brass (IMO LO is the best judge out there). Just keeping cleaning and please percussion, find a second gear to kick into this last week!

Cavaliers are much better live than on FN but I'm still not a huge fan of the show. It has some great parts but the whole just doesn't do it for me. They had a TERRIBLE draw going on after BD and the drop in performance quality was definitely noticeable even for this much improved Cavalier corps. I don't see them catching Crown but weirder things have happened this year.

Phantom was good musically but just left me feeling meh. Unanimously the least favorite of the night for my area of the crowd. They have a great sound and the show isn't bad by any means. I just think the show ends and you feel like you were just waiting for them to blow you away and they never deliver.

Can't wait for Indy next week to see what happens live!!!

• Like 2

Now I'm hating that I only got to see them at Stanford...I can only imagine that they sound like they did in the pre-show horn arc, instead of what we saw at Stanford Stadium that night. BD, why you no Massillon?

Just back from the show...

Folks, BD is for real. That spread was dead on! They were on a whole other level compared to the other corps, which is something I hate to admit. I sat next to a couple cadets alumni and some band directors and all of us kept saying how unbelievably good these guys are this year. If you haven't seen the show live, you have no room to talk. I'm a BD hater and am always rooting against them come championships but this group is really special with a great show. 99.15 definitely needs to be worried cause these guys should break it and deserve to break it.

Edited by superOOk

Yeah they are. IMO, Concord is better than the Cadets in every single area this year. Brass, Percussion, Guard, Visual, Effect, all of it.

I'll go even further out on the limb: the Bluecoats are better than the Cadets this year, too. Cadets' show design isn't as good as either Blue corps. The Blue Devils are already outperforming The Cadets, and by Finals the corps from Canton might be, too.

People talk about peaking early, I'd say it's not BD that's peaked already, but The Cadets.

Agree 100%