Roughin' It at Rutgers

I refuse to pay attention to scores from TOC shows now.

Also, unless BD did some crazy voodoo magic to that muddy sounding fanfare at the beginning, I'm not understanding this brass score.

• Like 2

That intrigues me. The judges work for the corps, who collectively decide what the rubrics are. All the corps should know what's expected of them. To what degree are corps other than BD trying and failing to achieve what the rubrics call for, and to what degree are corps other than BD not even trying to achieve that, i.e., interpreting the rubrics in some other way than both BD and the judges interpret the rubrics?

I mean: would the other leadings corps' staff would acknowledge that BD is in fact doing everything better than them? Would Bluecoats designers, for instance, say, "Yep, they designed a better show than we did"? Or in critique are they trying to convince the judges that what they've designed is in fact of equivalent quality?

I'm sure they're going for equivalent quality. It's confusing for sure, but I'm pretty sure I know what the judges reward now based on the scores.

To score the highest score ever doesn't mean the show has to be a "watershed moment." All it means is that in that given year, that corps was that much better than the other corps on that one particular night in August. You can't compare year to year, or show to show. It's all about the show of the night. If Frameworks and The Zone were both the same year, I guarantee you they both would not have tied with the same score. It's about spreads and what box you are in, not actual percentage of scores. A perfect score in a caption does NOT mean that the given caption was 100% perfect that night. That's impossible. But it does mean that they were that much better than the rest of the competition that given night.

I knew someone was going to say "it's all relative"; I'm not sure though. I think the judging community during finals may also be aware of this too, and adjust the scores accordingly. It's not their first rodeo either.

Or Crown may have had an off night. They were a tenth down in achievement. Its possible. Not everyone is perfect.

My son is in Crown's hornline and he said their chops were pounded today and Albert happened to be in the wrong spot at the right time and intonation was an issue clearly heard on judges recording.

• Like 1

I'm just gonna say this as clearly as I can: Crown has nothin on Coats judging issues.

What's the difference between God and a DCI judge?

God does not think he is a DCI judge.

Edited by superOOk
  • Like 1

I'm just gonna say this as clearly as I can: Crown has nothin on Coats judging issues.

Uh... Okay? I don't think it's a competition over whose corps scores are most controversial.

A little crazy tonight for both teams . . . . numbers management was an issue for sure!

I CAN say that at least ONE judge got it right tonight.