Roughin' It at Rutgers

what you meant and what you typed must be different.

email john phillips or michael cesario. they'll send you the information.

I typed what I meant. I know they get training and I know the kids are different each night. I don't need to email anyone to know what I already know.

Training and EFFECTIVE training are two entirely different things.

• Like 1

I agree that stranger things have happened in the past, but I think BD, Bluecoats, Cadets, Crown, and SCV have far greater chances of medalling than Cavi's. I wouldn't mind seeing Cadets BS show getting knocked out of the top 5 though IMHO

Well I'm thinking more about the possibility that the Cavaliers could get 5th or 4th, but even that's a long stretch right now. Their score is just too close to Crown and SCV to ignore them anymore.

yes, doing something well that makes no sense should NOT get credit . You are supposed to be presenting a cohesive program and all elements relating to one another, Other wise we have WGI percussion, Winterguard, or a dance recital...lol,

I will relate it to guard , Many people love the old tosss toss toss, well after a while , whats so effective about it? and just because I can toss alot does it mean it fits, visually, or musically. If it doesnt, who cares

I totally agree with your last line.

Regarding the toss toss toss. This makes me think of velocity drill and comments about that that pretty much dismiss it as tired. For me, if the show has a lot of that, it is much more effective "than stage, small group, scatter, run to set, stage, small group. run-to-set, stage, high speed drill, stage".

If both fit the theme and flow of the show, I would be inclined to reward the high speed drill, because I feel that it fits the venues that DCI fits into. The latter approach works on a basketball field, and a stage, but on a larger stage you really need to have larger effects. The velocity drill has more impact in the larger environment.

This is all other things being equal.

Of course the sheets support the latter, so what we get is shows with more of the latter. Cadets have figured this out and that is why their drill is more "balanced" this year while still giving a nod towards drill. Of course they've put the ramp up front, so there's a bit of individual stuff, and small group stuff for variety.

Crown has this down pretty well too, but they're still going with bigger movers.

Bluecoats this year are going more the individual, small ensemble, staging route.

Corps like SCV and The Cavaliers are still trying to be more drill oriented, and it's one of the reasons they're not higher. Gaines had a knack for writing drill that still allowed reading small ensemble stuff, and wonderful staging.

Just my ideas though.

Edited by jjeffeory

very little.

ah yes - but it is only a part of their repertoire of many different responisbilities and approaches to a very exciting, effective, competitive and crowd pleasing show for a really well balanced corps this season. I'll take that well rounded approach for my son. Happy to be a BLOOOO guy!

Edited by Ed Otto

Regarding the toss toss toss. This makes me thing of velocity drill. For me, if the show has a lot of that, it is much more effective than stage, small group, scatter, run to set, stage, small group. run-to-set, stage, high speed drill, stage.

If both fit the theme and flow of the show, I would be inclined to reward the high speed drill, because I feel that it fits the venues that DCI fits into. The latter approach works on a basketball field, and a stage, but on a larger stage you really need to have larger effects. The velocity drill has more impact in the larger environment.

This is all other things being equal.

I understand what you are saying BUT just want to add in , there have been corps like cadets that made an art out od speed I think Then there are others that have TRIED to do thi s and to me just look a mess and run for the sake of running..maybe because they think, well it worked for them " Well IMO it doesnt work for all. Some who do this just look dirty and at the end Im not exhilarated by the show BUT exhausted. I think some of the current drill designs can add variety and different focus BUT for those who do not do it well and for reason just come off as disjointed. I think IMO a successful program has variety and artfully puts together variety to make the together moments even bigger and smaller moments have purpose do agree one has to look at their venue for success. I have taught , judged as well as consulted on programs who staff thought harder was better and Im saying who the heck is going to see that very hard hand move, so small from a distance or choppy small work. OR , and I love this the instructors who ever so small put some writing on flags...duhhhh who the heck see's those words,,,arent you spinning?..lol

Some may not agree BUT although BD has a very hard book this year, they have made an art out of easier work BUT written very correctly. Got them alot of trophies. Write Smart!

Edited by GUARDLING

I understand what you are saying BUT just want to add in , there have been corps like cadets that made an art out od speed I think Then there are others that have TRIED to do thi s and to me just look a mess and run for the sake of running..maybe because they think, well it worked for them " Well IMO it doesnt work for all. Some who do this just look dirty and at the end Im not exhilarated by the show BUT exhausted. I think some of the current drill designs can add variety and different focus BUT for those who do not do it well and for reason just come off as disjointed. I think IMO a successful program has variety and artfully puts together variety to make the together moments even bigger and smaller moments have purpose do agree one has to look at their venue for success. I have taught , judged as well as consulted on programs who staff thought harder was better and Im saying who the heck is going to see that very hard had move, so small from a distance or choppy small work. OR , and I love this the instructors who ever so small put some writing on flags...duhhhh who the heck see's those words,,,arent you spinning?..lol

You're 100% right. Or I agree with you 100%! lol I edited my post to account for Cadets ( and SCV and Cavaliers (Gaines era and maybe again in Rogers era 2),

I agree too, it's what I always say on here. Someone does well with something, and every jumps in and tries to do that. Zig, Zig, ZAG! There corps placing lower that STILL try to do high velocity, and it doesn't work for them.

There are corps that try to follow what Blue Devils do, and it doesn't work for them. Everyone's probably just trying to figure out the sheets!

Edited by jjeffeory

I have to comment on this - REALLY!?!?!?!?!?! SO a couple of moves done well and you decide it is easy and any top 12 can do this - then why aren't they too doing it? The kids of every corps are rocking it as usualy and to be honest - as a parent I have to say you have to wake up early in the morning and try to be this stupid to arbitrarily make a statement like that......as armchair drill designers sometimes was as a group we cross a line. I could reference some other positings in here as well - Kids performing incredable stuff - It's a great activity and "sport." Each and every corps has issues with design - enough said.

Being honest - there is a lot of stuff in other groups that anyone else can do as well - A LOT of staff - however, they choose not to because of what they would like to communicate differently to the audience........ they're own style, concept, sound,.....each group has a different approach.

Regarding who is winning GE - who really cares? Every person has his or her favorite group for some reason each year and that's cool! We also support our kids or students or family members on staff or we are alumni - The audience knows what should or should not be happening. They can see what is clean and what is dirty just like we can read what people think is clean (because everyone keeps telling/repeating it so it must be true?! ) or what people repeat over and over is supposed to be dirty (again what everyone keeps telling/repeating trying to make us believers -) to justify, often times, the mysterious outcomes of competition. SInce some of us are at these shows where the mysterious feet problems exist - again - whatever - want to have fun, push pause on any corps while watching mixed camera on fan network. HA!!!!!!

Now my opinion - BD has the GOLD this weekend and after that it's up for grabs - if we are being really honest and looking at this from a third person point of view. Nothing is set in stone for next week - Numbers progressions from San Antonio until last night promise to make the finals exciting. A win win for audience and membership.

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!!!! Awesome Season !

and that's all - Thank you - out

Ed Otto Sr.

Wow lol...