Cumulative score increase from San Antonio to Piscataway

5.275 Phantom Regiment

5.250 Blue Devils

5.075 Cavaliers

4.100 Santa Clara Vanguard

4.000 Bluecoats

3.900 Carolina Crown

3.625 THE CADETS

Of course you're free to reach your own conclusions. But that looks like peaking early to me.

Bluecoats must be peaking early too given their score change from Atlanta to Piscataway....

I would say BD is peaking bc they have no where to go, but that doesn't matter be they have plenty of breathing room.

But yes I see your logic. It is entirely possible for Bluecoats to pass Cadets, but also possible they never do, that's the joy. We don't know

Sure thing...

Score increase from San Antonio to Atlanta

3.950 Carolina Crown

3.450 Blue Devils

3.100 Blucoats

2.900 Phantom Regiment

2.825 Santa Clara Vanguard

2.725 Cavaliers

2.725 THE CADETS

Score increase from Atlanta to Piscataway

2.375 Phantom Regiment

2.350 Cavaliers

1.800 Blue Devils

1.275 Santa Clara Vanguard

0.900 Bluecoats

0.900 THE CADETS

-0.050 Carolina Crown

Cumulative score increase from San Antonio to Piscataway

5.275 Phantom Regiment

5.250 Blue Devils

5.075 Cavaliers

4.100 Santa Clara Vanguard

4.000 Bluecoats

3.900 Carolina Crown

3.625 THE CADETS

Of course you're free to reach your own conclusions. But that looks like peaking early to me.

Red -- looks to my like they both peaked, by this definition. :poke:

Just playing along, I'm not actually argumentative on this one.

True. That chart does show me that Phantom Regiment seems to be figuring some stuff out though...

I'm very happy with the progress of Phantom's show. Miles better than how they started.

GE may take into account fan response, but it isn't supposed to be primarily about that. I like coats a lot this year, but honestly, the visual program, like Crown's, has a lot of cool things in it, but also a fair amount of running to sets (in Hymn...) or just perching on platforms, neither of which may have struck the visual GE judge as all that interesting.

At a certain point, perhaps corps whose design is more rigorous regarding transitions should be rewarded more than others who choose to drop form and run to the next dot.

Have you seem BD Drill? You just described it to a t.
  • Like 3

Well, it's always been that way. Occasionally someone will refer to something that someone's brother's girlfriend's uncle told them took place at some retreat, but no one is ever really able to produce evidence (I was there in 2008 too, close to the corps). Kinda like the "BD always screws up the mass-brass" thing (even when direct evidence pointed to other corps).

Oh, it's ok to be emotional when you don't win, just like it is when you do.

Haha, I know right? For awhile there was a video posted of 2008 retreat that showed it was 100% NOT Blue Devils that were ruining it...it was ANOTHER corps in Blue that everyone seems to love this year. But hey, that doesn't fit the narrative.

• Like 2

Well, it's always been that way. Occasionally someone will refer to something that someone's brother's girlfriend's uncle told them took place at some retreat, but no one is ever really able to produce evidence (I was there in 2008 too, close to the corps). Kinda like the "BD always screws up the mass-brass" thing (even when direct evidence pointed to other corps).

Oh, it's ok to be emotional when you don't win, just like it is when you do.

Emotions are funny sometimes. I hate to disagree with you but I was there in 2008. During the final piece, half the corps turned their back on the audience and the other half stood there not playing with the rest .Boos came raining down from the stands. The kids had to get that idea from somewhere. That's why I said I am glad things have changed regarding the win at all costs philosophy. The proof is no longer available, but as you said you were there so you need no proof. All corps have a moment they regret.

Have you seem BD Drill? You just described it to a t.

See post 321. Then go look at Bluecoats visual program again, paying attention to the level of detail in the individual movement while running to sets, and the contribution the guard has on the overall package.

As much as I prefer corps that march more and run less, there's still a noticeable difference in the two blue corps' visual packages this year.

Edited by Slingerland

Who the hell is Plan9??? :smile:

A "popular" DCP poster who is a big BD honk.

arqom.jpg

Yes, they do, but just a little. They also account for a lot of other things. Some of those are things Bluecaots do well, but at this point not as well as Cadets or BD. Just because a show is fan friendly doesn't mean it will score well in GE. The word EFFECT can describe any kind of emotion, musical phrase, visual impact, or thematic aspect of a corps' show. Not just the effects that some find fun and exciting. Dark emotions are effects, too. Negative emotions and/or esoteric design can all lead to emotions. I think the judges are getting it right according to the sheets.

Now, I don't always buy the sheets and would love to see change in that regard.