Roughin' It at Rutgers

Haha, I know right? For awhile there was a video posted of 2008 retreat that showed it was 100% NOT Blue Devils that were ruining it...it was ANOTHER corps in Blue that everyone seems to love this year. But hey, that doesn't fit the narrative.

100% or not Their backs are turned to the audience and they are not playing..classy..It's still on youtube..you should take a look.looks 100% to us.

See post 321. Then go look at Bluecoats visual program again, paying attention to the level of detail in the individual movement while running to sets, and the contribution the guard has on the overall package.

oh I know they are "artistically" moving from set to set - but it's really not the same as flex drill at 200 bpm

The over-use of the word "haters" to describe those that don't care for a particular Blue Devils show is troubling. I loved BD 2012, didn't care for them in 2013, and I am entertained by this years program. I have no idea where there their high visual scores are coming from but the concept and execution is flawless. Does that quality me as a "hater"?

Probably if you're certain posters on here. ANY criticism would be a problem.

Probably if you're certain posters on here. ANY criticism would be a problem.

Hater.

• Like 1

100% or not Their backs are turned to the audience and they are not playing..classy..It's still on youtube..you should take a look.looks 100% to us.

Cool, post a link. I was referring to trumpets crapping thru their horns that was attributed to the Blue Devils that year, when it in fact wasn't them. It was all the rage on DCP at the time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Whwz2aDbECk

Guys - I want to add this

I've been following/participating/admin/volunteer/donor/fan of drum corps since 1975

So there's some context when I say the following

I have NEVER disagreed with the judging of an event to the extent I did last night's judging

Absolutely mind-numbing...

The reason we are seeing such wild swings night to night in GE and the corps captions isn't because these kids are that inconsistent (they aren't!) it is because the "Judges" have literally no idea the defined expectations of what they should be recognizing and/or rewarding.

It is clear they are no longer on the same page with each other - let alone the audience

This off season they need to do a much better job of defining the captions to each judge - how we want them assessed. It's pretty clear right now some are using a "WGI approach" or a "Theatrical approach" or a "BOA approach" or frankly their own approach. We have to get the judges looking for the same thing - and make it a "drum corps approach" - because I'm sorry but WGI guard work is NOT that effective on a 100 yard football field... and neither is WGI drill

There's literally a million different approaches going on right now...

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 8

GE may take into account fan response, but it isn't supposed to be primarily about that. I like coats a lot this year, but honestly, the visual program, like Crown's, has a lot of cool things in it, but also a fair amount of running to sets (in Hymn...) or just perching on platforms, neither of which may have struck the visual GE judge as all that interesting.

At a certain point, perhaps corps whose design is more rigorous regarding transitions should be rewarded more than others who choose to drop form and run to the next dot.

...but see that whole approach doesn't hurt BD in GE. I guess it's how a corps perches on their props and chairs? Honestly Crown has one of the better drills this year, especially in the closer. It seems the judges want to see a variety of skills being displayed, and Crown does that, Bluecoats do that. Bizarre.

Very OT for a second, but why do we call it "world champs" when international groups are only allowed to compete open class for now? Calling it world class when only US competes (much like sports saying this) is strange to me.

Maybe it's should be called Drum Corps North America, but that's too close to Drum Corps National, which was going to be the original name of the thing. Corps can compete if they fit the age and instrument requirements....

hqdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

*per Don Warren on the Brass Roots Video (Part 1 of FN) at 12 minutes Robert Cobbin the attorney from DeLaSalle.

228273061_2888013d27_o.jpg

Yes, they do, but just a little. They also account for a lot of other things. Some of those are things Bluecaots do well, but at this point not as well as Cadets or BD. Just because a show is fan friendly doesn't mean it will score well in GE. The word EFFECT can describe any kind of emotion, musical phrase, visual impact, or thematic aspect of a corps' show. Not just the effects that some find fun and exciting. Dark emotions are effects, too. Negative emotions and/or esoteric design can all lead to emotions. I think the judges are getting it right according to the sheets.

Now, I don't always buy the sheets and would love to see change in that regard.

Please feel free to point out exactly where on the sheets it says how to meter these "emotions" and how to meter these "impacts." It can't be cleanliness of their execution, because there are captions for achievement already. You mention the sheets a lot as if you have read them. Care to enlighten us who have not on what the judges should be looking for, and specifically to put a number to it? This should clear up a LOT of confusion on DCP if you could.