Roughin' It at Rutgers

I particularly admire the "squat down to take a dump" move... +1.0

I just thinks it's funny that EVERY corps has to have some lower body movement in their show now.

The squat is a basic move and passé; must make use of the hip bone sockets and move each leg independently too.

So what do you think happened to the judging community, most of which are veterans in judging within DCI, to all of a sudden have forgotten how to do their job??

I don't think it has been "all of a sudden" - it's been a gradual migration, plus the influx of new judges, plus the "mixed messages" and "redefined expectations" we've been hearing out of DCI regarding GE etc... When the message isn't even clear in a released presser - you can imagine how badly muddled and jumbled and vague it is in a "judges conference" -- and yes, I'm pointing my finger not too subtly at Cesario and others... they mean well, but gezzz.

Last night was like a perfect storm of this. WGI meets BOA judge meets Theater Critic wannabee - they were all over the place

You only have to look at the percussion caption - in the just the last week - to see how jumbled things have gotten

A week ago SCV was winning, then Cadets/Bluecoats swapped for two nights, then Cadets by a lot, then BD

SCV (in my view) should have never been winning. They are clean but my god the alignment between what the percussion is doing and the brass is doing is horrific - it's like the two caption heads have never met each other. Ramming away while the brass is holding long chords.

I honestly think things slide and then oops all of a sudden it becomes a big issue. And this season we are seeing that.

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 1

I just thinks it's funny that EVERY corps has to have some lower body movement in their show now.

The squat is a basic move and passé; must make use of the hip bone sockets and move each leg independently too.

Cadets are doing it during the Kennedy section drum solo - it is sooooo dumb.

Perhaps it's a reference to little children hiding under their school desk during the Cuban Missile Crisis - there, that's it! Hop should share that at critique. The judges will tear up.

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 4

Hey, there's a lot of demand in the bug squish, and it's super-effective.

I dream of the day when visual judges will no longer require that every brass and drum feature be decorated with ridiculous-looking body moves.

dont want to squash your dream and I do think some are a little amusing ( some done well also ) its not going to go back, if anything more stress on better body training. I remember BITD the same was said of those who were very military and spun and tossed alot verses those who danced more ( usually bad to ) if anything the need for more will become the norm IMO and the training will be stressed even more. I also dont think it has anything to do with judges or even sheets but all to do with moving forward ( subjective of course ) and its just what we do now, like other things new we did in the past.

Edited by GUARDLING

Holy #### people probably need to calm down about judging it's just marching band after all. Even I get tired of ruthlessly supporting my band.

Holy #### people probably need to calm down about judging it's just marching band after all. Even I get tired of ruthlessly supporting my band.

Actually I think people have been a little too calm.

• Like 1

Guys - I want to add this

I've been following/participating/admin/volunteer/donor/fan of drum corps since 1975

So there's some context when I say the following

I have NEVER disagreed with the judging of an event to the extent I did last night's judging

Absolutely mind-numbing...

The reason we are seeing such wild swings night to night in GE and the corps captions isn't because these kids are that inconsistent (they aren't!) it is because the "Judges" have literally no idea the defined expectations of what they should be recognizing and/or rewarding.

It is clear they are no longer on the same page with each other - let alone the audience

This off season they need to do a much better job of defining the captions to each judge - how we want them assessed. It's pretty clear right now some are using a "WGI approach" or a "Theatrical approach" or a "BOA approach" or frankly their own approach. We have to get the judges looking for the same thing - and make it a "drum corps approach" - because I'm sorry but WGI guard work is NOT that effective on a 100 yard football field... and neither is WGI drill

There's literally a million different approaches going on right now...

-_-

the kids are inconsistent to a degree night to night. they aren't robots. they may feel physically and emotionally different day to day. the field/stadium they're performing in creates different dynamics. there are a lot of variables at play.

to imply that the judges don't receive any training is ridiculous. they do and plenty of it. there are measures in place to help explain fluctuations in scores/discrepancies (judge liaisons are helping with this), and there is plenty of inter-rater reliability amongst the judges.

um - I never said there's no inconsistency of performance and I never said the judges get no training

and the data does not support your last sentence at all

dont want to squash your dream and I do think some are a little amusing ( some done well also ) its not going to go back, if anything more stress on better body training. I remember BITD the same was said of those who were very military and spun and tossed alot verses those who danced more ( usually bad to ) if anything the need for more will become the norm IMO and the training will be stressed even more. I also dont think it has anything to do with judges or even sheets but all to do with moving forward ( subjective of course ) and its just what we do now, like other things new we did in the past.

All the corps did it en masse after the corps who did it the most won doing it last year.

Thing is, I don't mind it in moderation, when it enhances the show, but this year, EVERY World Class corps has looked for a spot in their show where they can do it. It's become trite and a caricature of 2014 marching arts.

It's ok. It's not ruining my day, but it's VERY noticeable and reminds me how we as an activity do silly things in our shows. I'm sure there are other silly things that I don't notice so much, but this is the peculiar thing for me in 2014.

• Like 1

All the corps did it en masse after the corps who did it the most won doing it last year.

Thing is, I don't mind it in moderation, when it enhances the show, but this year, EVERY World Class corps has looked for a spot in their show where they can do it. It's become trite and a caricature of 2014 marching arts.

It's ok. It's not ruining my day, but it's VERY noticeable and reminds me how we as an activity do silly things in our shows. I'm sure there are other silly things that I don't notice so much, but this is the peculiar thing for me in 2014.

so maybe the answer is do it more or better?......lol :shutup: