Roughin' It at Rutgers

um - I never said there's no inconsistency of performance and I never said the judges get no training

and the data does not support your last sentence at all

what you meant and what you typed must be different.

email john phillips or michael cesario. they'll send you the information.

so maybe the answer is do it more or better?......lol :shutup:

:poke:

NO! :tounge2: It's SILLY!

so maybe the answer is do it more or better?......lol :shutup:

How comes the answer is never "do it less and do it better"?

When things like squish-a-bug become unwritten compulsories, every corps finds some way to squeeze it into their design whether it adds anything or not. It becomes something of a joke when you watch 10 corps in a row and they all do it. It's great that Crown is now much more proficient at bodywork, but overall the used::effectively-used ratio is easily 10::1.

• Like 1

It's pretty clear right now some are using a "WGI approach" or a "Theatrical approach" or a "BOA approach" or frankly their own approach.

If this is true, one should be able to identify which judges are applying which approach based on evidence that has been consistent throughout the season. I would be interested to see that.

well isnt marching around a filed also silly?..big feathers on top of our heads...lol :silly: all in perspective...maybe its all kinda silly...lol

Yes, let's just degrade an entire activity because people don't understand judging and don't see eye to eye on who should be where. Personally, I know where I would ideally like each corps to place. I'm all for heated debate, but trying to diffuse a situation with "hey guys it's just band" completely undermines and insults the hundreds of hours of work spent by young adults and staff alike striving to achieve perfection. THAT makes me mad.

• Like 2

Yes, let's just degrade an entire activity because people don't understand judging and don't see eye to eye on who should be where. Personally, I know where I would ideally like each corps to place. I'm all for heated debate, but trying to diffuse a situation with "hey guys it's just band" completely undermines and insults the hundreds of hours of work spent by young adults and staff alike striving to achieve perfection. THAT makes me mad.

I dont think anyone is undermining . I for 1 spend and hav spent decades on tour to this day . SO I kNnow. The point is what some feel about contemporary movement being silly. well alot can be put in that what we do. It's either all silly or none of it is IMO. either way silly or not, It is what we do and will continue to progress and things will always be done that many wont or will like. I remember BITD as I said earlier soooo many issues with what the NEW drum corps was doing verses the past. did it stop anything ? No not at all, nor will things done today

whoever said hey its just band is said alot..in guard many say its just flags on the floor...I think they might just be saying, hey its not life or death and not all that serious. Although for many reasons we all do take it very seriously. We have to to compete

Edited by GUARDLING

well isnt marching around a filed also silly?..big feathers on top of our heads...lol :silly: all in perspective...maybe its all kinda silly...lol

Yes, I guess so, but it's no more silly than other forms of entertainment or activity; it's cultural too.

...but back to the lower body stuff, maybe they should do it in more effective places?

I mean, I think the Cadets do it well, appropriate and sparingly. Crown does it well, if not pretty frequently. Bluecoats are pretty good at it too. On the lower side, OC does that stuff well too. Other corps just gotta put it in there even when it doesn't quite fit. As with anything, sometimes less is more.

Edited by jjeffeory

Yes, I guess so, but it's no more silly than other forms of entertainment or activity; it's cultural.

...but back to the lower body stuff, maybe they should do it in more effective places?

I mean, I think the Cadets do it well, appropriate and sparingly. Crown does it well, if not pretty frequently. Bluecoats are pretty good at it too. On the lower side, OC does that stuff well too. Other corps just gotta put it in there even when it doesn't quite fit. As with anything, sometimes less is more.

totally agree

If this is true, one should be able to identify which judges are applying which approach based on evidence that has been consistent throughout the season. I would be interested to see that.

That would be interesting to see. For me it's sorta like obscenity and what was said in Jacobellis v. Ohio by Justice Potter Stewart; I know it when I see it.