Roughin' It at Rutgers

totally agree - I wouldn't be surprised to see Cavaliers make a remarkable move in the next week. I still don't think a medal is out of the question for the green team. The corps in front of them each have a "weakness" (if one can say that at this level) - they've got to close the percussion gap with SCV and the brass gap (or percussion lead) with Crown - they could sneak by

I appreciate your optimism but I don't see this happening.

How comes the answer is never "do it less and do it better"?

When things like squish-a-bug become unwritten compulsories, every corps finds some way to squeeze it into their design whether it adds anything or not. It becomes something of a joke when you watch 10 corps in a row and they all do it. It's great that Crown is now much more proficient at bodywork, but overall the used::effectively-used ratio is easily 10::1.

well, doing less can be good also. its like some people who look at so called demand and thing more is better, it isnt!

I agree, if you dont do it well either fix that or dont make it worse, NO CREDIT FOR ATTEMPT

I appreciate your optimism but I don't see this happening.

Stranger things have happened. At the beginning of the season I would have been more inclined to agree with you, but the scoring has changed too much to ignore this possibility regardless of shows.

You only have to look at the percussion caption - in the just the last week - to see how jumbled things have gotten

A week ago SCV was winning, then Cadets/Bluecoats swapped for two nights, then Cadets by a lot, then BD

Oh, let's not look at JUST the last week. After all, the smaller the sample size the more likely your statistics and interpretations will be incorrect. Also, the conditions must be the same. In light of those requirements, here are the last four shows the "Big 7" were at together...

Percussion Ordinals - San Antonio, TX (7/19)

1. Santa Clara Vanguard

2. Blue Devils

3. The Cadets

4. Bluecoats

5. Cavaliers

6. Carolina Crown

7. Phantom Regiment (out of these seven; eighth overall)

Percussion Ordinals - Nashville, TN (7/25)

1. Santa Clara Vanguard

2. Blue Devils

3. Bluecoats

4. The Cadets

5. Cavaliers

6. Carolina Crown

7. Phantom Regiment

Percussion Ordinals - Atlanta, GA (7/26)

1. Santa Clara Vanguard

2. Blue Devils

2. Bluecoats

4. The Cadets

5. Cavaliers

6. Carolina Crown

7. Phantom Regiment (out of these seven; eighth overall)

Percussion Ordinals - Piscataway, NJ (7/31)

1. Blue Devils

2. Bluecoats

3. Santa Clara Vanguard

4. The Cadets

5. Cavaliers

6. Phantom Regiment

7. Carolina Crown

Percussion Ordinal Progression

1+1+1+3 = 6 Santa Clara Vanguard

2+2+2+1 = 7 Blue Devils

4+3+2+2 = 11 Bluecoats

3+4+4+4 = 15 The Cadets

5+5+5+5 = 20 Cavaliers

6+6+6+7 = 25 Carolina Crown

7+7+7+6 = 27 Phantom Regiment

The Bluecoats are the only corps not to hit the same percussion ordinal three times in four shows, no corps has a range greater than two ordinals, and five of seven have a range of zero or one ordinals. Looks pretty darn consistent to me.

well, doing less can be good also. its like some people who look at so called demand and thing more is better, it isnt!

I agree, if you dont do it well either fix that or dont make it worse, NO CREDIT FOR ATTEMPT

We keep coming back to how well something is done. I'm curious; if something doesn't make sense or work with flow pf the show, but it's performed flawlessly, shouldn't that not be given credit? I mean, that pushes things even more into the subjectivity realm, BUT a shiny turd ( so to speak) is what it is. To me it doesn't make sense that you can just do anything, even at a high level, if it doesn't fit into the show and expect to get points.

There has to be a flow and the pieces have to fit together artistically as well as technically.

Edited by jjeffeory

just like many things in life, too much of a good thing CAN be bad.

just say no to over-embellished leg choreography!

trying to squeeze it into every opportunity in a show simply to demonstrate a homogenized skill and control doesn't necessarily add to the overall effect of the program. In fact I think it actually detracts and disorients quite a bit in a lot of cases.

Yes, let's just degrade an entire activity because people don't understand judging and don't see eye to eye on who should be where. Personally, I know where I would ideally like each corps to place. I'm all for heated debate, but trying to diffuse a situation with "hey guys it's just band" completely undermines and insults the hundreds of hours of work spent by young adults and staff alike striving to achieve perfection. THAT makes me mad.

A lot of times it's people actually marching these corps that see heated debates detracting from simply enjoying the activity and diffuse it by saying "it's just band". Those who have marched know what it takes to rehearse and perform 12+ hours a day for 3 months on end. It is a total immersion of heart, mind, and soul, and that is what's truly important for these young performers. Not saying that competing isn't part of the fun, but anyone can sit on DCP and whine about scores and placements, which to me completely misses the point.

We keep coming back to how well something is done. I'm curious; if something doesn't make sense or work with flow, but it's performed flawlessly, shouldn't that also not be given credit? I mean, that pushes things even more into the subjective realm, BUT a shiny turd ( so to speak) is what it is. To me it doesn't make sense that you can just do anything, even at a high level, if it doesn't fit into the show and expect to get points.

There has to be a flow and the pieces have to fit together artistically as well as technically.

yes, doing something well that makes no sense should NOT get credit . You are supposed to be presenting a cohesive program and all elements relating to one another, Other wise we have WGI percussion, Winterguard, or a dance recital...lol,

I will relate it to guard , Many people love the old tosss toss toss, well after a while , whats so effective about it? and just because I can toss alot does it mean it fits, visually, or musically. If it doesnt, who cares

I totally agree with your last line.

Stranger things have happened. At the beginning of the season I would have been more inclined to agree with you, but the scoring has changed too much to ignore this possibility regardless of shows.

I agree that stranger things have happened in the past, but I think BD, Bluecoats, Cadets, Crown, and SCV have far greater chances of medalling than Cavi's. I wouldn't mind seeing Cadets BS show getting knocked out of the top 5 though IMHO