Roughin' It at Rutgers

Training and EFFECTIVE training are two entirely different things.

Funny...those were the exact words that continually came to my mind as I was bringing up my puppy...

Funny...those were the exact words that continually came to my mind as I was bringing up my puppy...

Having taught drum corps for years, there's a remarkable amount of similarity between your average marching member and a puppy, particularly rookies :)

• Like 2

Of course it could not be that BD (who has only been down to Crown in brass a few tenths all season) just has a better horn line at this point in the season. I realize the next time the two corps are in competition BD may be down a few tenths to Crown in brass again, but I hate it when people say we had a bad night and don't give credit to the corps that beat them.

I realize I'm a Crown homer . . . . however I call it like I see it either way. With that said, the Blue Devils hornline is absolutely luscious in all aspects!! It's just that the talent level at Crown in the hornline is the best in this day and age. The brass staff at Crown has been together for numerous years and are meticulous in all details of brass playing and have a formula that works! Blue Devils are obviously still bringing it! Their program this year is amazing and the Color Guard is on a performance level all to themselves and the drumline is an asset as well that could easily win drums. Clearly the Blue Devils are the overall best top to bottom at this point in the season they perform with that Blue Devil swagger that is unparalleled, except for brass.

Case in point, let's take two different features for both corps . . . . BD's all high brass feature in the beginning of this years program , very impressive from a tone quality and intonation standpoint however as soon as they have to articulate it's good BUT it is not at the clarity level of Crown, Sorry! and to my recollection it is the only truly exposed articulation passage in the Blue Devils program this year. On the flip side, check the link below from ATL . . . the ENTIRE hornline is on trumpet except for Mellophones and the spread from L to R and front to back sideline of the brass is at least three times the demand and difficulty to line up. Crown's low brass articulate better on the trumpets than BD's mellophones on trumpet. The clip is sooooo crystal clear, it is scary. This might be the best hornline ever!!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCdUQNo5XQU

The following clip has Crown, BD and SCV back to back . . . . . . Um, you just need to check it out. Vanguard is not even in the same league as BD and Crown. BD struggles when they have to articulate, Crown does not in the least AND all section are beasts with articulation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKCBCcGuhMk

Again, Blue Devils have an amazing brass program with a consistent amazing level of performance for the last 40+ years! Were they better the other night, probably and I'm glad Albert Lo called it as such that evening. Are they the best brass line this year, NO!

Looking forward to watching BD tonight!!!

Edited by 91FSU08
  • Like 1

Having taught drum corps for years, there's a remarkable amount of similarity between your average marching member and a puppy, particularly rookies :)

Totally agree my friend. It's really cool to see the kids mature over the course of a season! I trust you are at the show in Allentown?! If you're their tomorrow, stop by to see my son with Crown. He loves it when he gets a chance to meet old 'Coasters like us! His name is Matt and marches soprano . . .sorry trumpet! :-)

Well, isn't marching around a filed also silly? Big feathers on top of our heads ... lol :silly:. All in perspective, maybe it's all kinda silly ... lol.

Well, if everything is silly, then the word loses its meaning.

But we all agree that the word "silly" has meaning. Therefore some things are sillier than others.

Late to the party here but wanted to share my thoughts on the show. First and only DCI show attended in 2014.

Unfortunately, my initial reaction was very negative due to terrible logistics. Waited 40 minutes to park. Then walked 10 minutes to stadium. It was a MESS. I understand YEA issued a statement but honestly, they have to do a better job.

Luckily, the product on the field was probably the best I've seen since I've been going to shows consistently (since about 2005). The talent of the 7 corps were amazing. The fact that the "lowest" score was a 90.0 says it all.

Crown - Tough spot having to delay their start by about 20 minutes. I thought they came out hot though. The talent level of the brass line is through the roof. Still messy with the feet and percussion...ugh...percussion...need to clean!! I really do like this show and there are so many great moments but I think they almost try to do too much. Hard to know where to focus during parts of the show. The ballad is beautifully done and staged. Like the 2nd half the show more than the first. Timp mic was not working for parts of show I think.

SCV - Much more focused than Crown. Crown was very scattered with ideas I thought while SCV really did a great job with show flow.The mello solo is phenomenal (even if they do add some reverb). Still saw some issues with the feet but thought effect wise they were above Crown.

Phantom - So much improved from the beginning of the season! Leagues beyond where they were. Very impressed with this corps having watched them on FN throughout the season. I still don't know if I love the show design but the change of uniform is very effective in person (much more so than over FN). Engaging show. Demand level not there compared to other corps. Liked how they split the high/low voices with the uniform change.

BD - They will most certainly win this year. Highest score in DCI history? It is my favorite BD show of the last 5 or 6 but I still am not in love with it. Do I appreciate it and their crazy talent? Absolutely! But their style of show still isn't really my cup of tea. Lots more drill and movement than previous years but still prefer other corps drill better. Their guard was absolutely brilliant. Great show. Just not really my thing.

Bluecoats - Crowd favorite by a MILE! Crowd was on feat before the end. The double Z-Pull ending is amazing effective. Best ballad of the year (BD is a VERY close second with SCV third by the slimmest of margins in my book).The staging of the ballad puts them on top for me. The whole show is so innovative. The skewed field perspective is well done. Still a few visual issues but I really don't think the gap between them and BD is as big as the scores indicated. Man next to me (marched Cadets in the 70s) said after Bloo "Wow, and the Blue Devils are beating this?!" Needless to say, he wasn't a BD fan.

Cavies - So much better than past few years. Great show, neat effects. Too bad they may end up 6th with their best show is several years but that's what you get this year with amazing talent. Really good guard integration. Liked the Saucedo arrangements (I believe he still does theirs) a lot. Good flow to the show.

Cadets - Probably biggest fan contingent of the crowd. I don't know what it is with this show. I feel like I should LOVE it. But I don't. It is missing something and I'm not sure what exactly it is. More engaging music in the ending with less narration? I'm not sure. Do like all the changes they put in though. Their drill looks quite difficult. The movement is constant. Think they are doing some really challenging stuff. I don't think they have the GE to catch BD but do have the talent. Big banners of people didn't read well at a lower elevation.

All-in-all, one of the best shows I've been to! BD has NO holes which is why they'll win. Combine Cadets cleanliness with Bluecoats GE, and you'd be able to challenge BD I think. Cadets better be careful though. Bluecoats could easily take 2nd I think. SCV also better be careful. If Crown can clean, they have the more demanding show I think and better brass line but percussion holds them back.

Cavies - So much better than past few years. Great show, neat effects. Too bad they may end up 6th with their best show is several years but that's what you get this year with amazing talent. Really good guard integration. Liked the Saucedo arrangements (I believe he still does theirs) a lot. Good flow to the show.

Amazing review! I enjoyed reading it.

Drew Shanefield has been the arranger for the Cavaliers since 2009.

Saucedo was judging for a while and is now currently arranging for the Blue Stars. He also retired from his HS teaching job at Carmel High school pretty recently.

Amazing review! I enjoyed reading it.

Drew Shanefield has been the arranger for the Cavaliers since 2009.

Saucedo was judging for a while and is now currently arranging for the Blue Stars. He also retired from his HS teaching job at Carmel High school pretty recently.

Good to know! Thanks for the correction! I'm clearly not up on my Cavies musical staff :)

Well, if everything is silly, then the word loses its meaning.

But we all agree that the word "silly" has meaning. Therefore some things are sillier than others.

Hmmm...we'll need someone to be in charge of determining the level of silliness in that case.

We need a manager...a coordinator...or...how about a minister!!!!

poster-monty-python-the-ministry-of-sill

• Like 1