BAC G7 Set

Am I in the minority in thinking the set is childish and has no place in the show and shows a severe lack of maturity from the design staff?

If anything, it's inappropriate because it's not obvious enough. If you're going to do a show about the history of DCI in which the revolutionaries become new versions of the tyrants they originally overthrew, then make the "story" easier to follow. If your show isn't really about the history of DCI, then don't throw in a couple coy references that suggest it is.

BUT it's no secret that all corps are working to that top spot and looking to have a little more equality--aren't they?

It's hard to discuss this topic without, as the O.P. requested, discussing the history behind the subject in a way that could lead to contentious exchanges. so I would simply point out that in Dec. 2012 or Jan. 2013, when the G7 controversy flared up again, Boston's leadership made a public statement in which they asked not for more equality, which as you know is an oxymoron, but simply equality, by which they meant rules that promoted fair treatment (equality under the law, as it were): this remark stressed that when Boston briefly was a top seven corps and Bluecoats were not, Boston didn't try to change the DCI meritocracy in such a way as to prevent Bluecoats from moving up (which many felt the G7 proposals were designed to do: at the least they made some corps "permanent" members of the elite). At around the same time, Boston took part in the presidential inaugural parade, and I noticed that in the short script that they, like all other participating units, provided the (televised) parade announcer, they opted to mention that they were a "founding member of Drum Corps International"--with only a few sentences to fill with their many decades of storied history, they wanted to make that point. So it seems to have been a sore subject. Presumably it was too late then for Boston to change their 2013 show, so they apparently held it for a year--festering, perhaps. Now, eighteen months after the second putsch was resolved, the show may seem like beating a dead Boxer.

(Huh. Could "Boxer", besides being the name of Orwell's Animal Farm horse, also be a Bluecoats reference?)

• Like 3

No. I'm with you even if the chart appeals to my more base instincts about what happened. I think it has no place in any show. Ever.

If DCI starts airing all of its dirty laundry, it's doomed. There are just too many skeletons.

And all of the directors have a higher purpose to keep the activity congealed with strength in numbers. Not split on old wounds.

Fun show. Inappropriate, IMO.

EDIT: Sorry, frachel. I answered "Am I the only one...". I do think we're in the minority.

As adults in a schoolyard of bullies, maybe, but a minority still.

I respectfully disagree. Pretending existing problems do not exist is no way to solve them, and pretending historical problems did not occur is no way to prevent them from happening in the future.

I respectfully disagree. Pretending existing problems do not exist is no way to solve them, and pretending historical problems did not occur is no way to prevent them from happening in the future.

Ah, but how does Boston's show solve the G7 problem (if there still is one)?

• Like 1

It's hard to discuss this topic without, as the O.P. requested, discussing the history behind the subject in a way that could lead to contentious exchanges. so I would simply point out that in Dec. 2012 or Jan. 2013, when the G7 controversy flared up again, Boston's leadership made a public statement in which they asked not for more equality, which as you know is an oxymoron, but simply equality, by which they meant rules that promoted fair treatment (equality under the law, as it were): this remark stressed that when Boston briefly was a top seven corps and Bluecoats were not, Boston didn't try to change the DCI meritocracy in such a way as to prevent Bluecoats from moving up (which many felt the G7 proposals were designed to do: at the least they made some corps "permanent" members of the elite). At around the same time, Boston took part in the presidential inaugural parade, and I noticed that in the short script that they, like all other participating units, provided the (televised) parade announcer, they opted to mention that they were a "founding member of Drum Corps International"--with only a few sentences to fill with their many decades of storied history, they wanted to make that point. So it seems to have been a sore subject. Presumably it was too late then for Boston to change their 2013 show, so they apparently held it for a year--festering, perhaps. Now, eighteen months after the second putsch was resolved, the show may seem like beating a dead Boxer.

(Huh. Could "Boxer", besides being the name of Orwell's Animal Farm horse, also be a Bluecoats reference?)

totally gotcha, I really do believe though often something like this is NOT to make any statement BUT to stir up talk...and IF I am right , it's done its job for some. This was exactly what I was trying to say, that from time to time designers do and have always done this type of thing.

Edited by GUARDLING

Don Corleone: "Sonny, what's the matter with you? Don't ever talk about the family business outside of the family. I think your mind is going to mush spending time with..."

Dad: "Don't air the family's dirty laundry."

Maybe you have to be Italian...

Boxer. Wow - mind blown...

Don Corleone: "Sonny, what's the matter with you? Don't ever talk about the family business outside of the family. I think your mind is going to mush spending time with..."

Dad: "Don't air the family's dirty laundry."

Maybe you have to be Italian...

Or maybe not take the Corleones as role models!

I highly doubt there's a chance that a member in BAC has not seen that set online through a youtube video...

Also I disagree with you on the first part. But that's probably because of the way I was taught. In high school, our band director would explain the significance/story behind every piece we played so that we could connect better emotionally. I feel like that always worked well for us. It's hard for me to imagine that the staff would keep that in the dark.

This was my experience when I marched color guard in our band. We didn't have a theme, but our music was always tied neatly together, and our Band director always had a vision of how he wanted the show designed to that music.