Allentown . . . DAY ONE!

Sometimes when I read this stuff about demand I think that some of you on DCP would be happy to see the corps all on 150 treadmills. Then you could crank them up and have the corps play like it's a #### endurance contest. Demand and execution are not mutually exclusive. Corps directors and their designers need to understand their level of talent (MM's) and know how far they can take them in terms of demand. If a show is within the range of an ubertalented corps, it might not be in the range of a less skilled corps. A good example of engineering a design beyond the range of a corps ability to perform was Cadets 2009….it never got clean….it never could get clean….in fact, it was #### near physically impossible for the human body to manage….not to mention people blowing into things. So the object is to write the show for your level of talent and get it perfect! In short, an uberdifficult show that is dirty……….. is a just a dirty show.

BD’s designs are geometric…from start to finish. They flow like segues in a well edited film. Props are obstacles and inanimate obstacles at that! They are integrated by BD in a way that extends the illusion of more in the space, and what the trained eye sees is not a prop…but an object that is interacted with much like another MM. Talk about difficulty …..a whole other level of difficulty….while playing and tossing.

BTW...not directed at you Apathy! :bigsmile:

I have never seen props "integrated in a way that extends the illusion of more in the space". In fact, I have always seen it as cluttering up space, and also making it harder for judges to determine whether or not a form is clean, dirty, whether its "supposed" to look like that, and then when they ARE out away from props, they're in a box that's easy to clean.

The real illusion here is the designing of a visual program that's not difficult, but is difficult to gauge it because of all the #(*& in the way.

That is how the BD staff has mastered the art of pleasing judges.

And to be honest, Crown's drill last year was not all the difficult either, save the rotating prism, but even that wasn't perfectly clean.

The last BD show I was actually impressed by was 2007. 2008 wasn't bad, either.

EDIT: I haven't seen BD show this year, so I'm reserving my judgement on it until / if I see it.

Edited by BoyWonder1911
  • Like 1

Well, some of the comments about demand are people saying that BD has more of it than other corps.

The standard argument has always been type of drill, speed of drill and playing while doing it. That's simplistic at best...therefore the treadmill comment. BD's drill IS always difficult...but on more levels then those just mentioned.

The standard argument has always been type of drill, speed of drill and playing while doing it. That's simplistic at best...therefore the treadmill comment. BD's drill IS always difficult...but on more levels then those just mentioned.

BD's drill is always difficult, except that nobody realizes it except us because we're on another level of intelligence and enlightenment than all you other peon corps.

• Like 2

Keep us posted on how your drive went. I'm driving up from DC tomorrow!

My drive from DC was terrible, but I made it with plenty of time to spare, plus they delayed the show. It all worked out. Also, I highly recommend parking on Chew street. There was plenty of availability.

Yeah, I was watching hi-cam, and I would agree. The tables n particular gave them some trouble tonight. Most notably when they form the early diagonal that the corps passes through. One table's wheels seemed to get stuck and the guard was struggling with it.

In fact, I would say that BD's tables this year move no better than Cadets' towers last year--and tonight, worse than Cadets were managing by the end of last season.

But this is still a great show that I would be perfectly content to see win.

(Though for competitiveness' sake, I wouldn't mind someone beating them just once this season. Too much dominance by one group is never a good thing.)

Bad picture, but the table was like this for a good few minutes

F2lx4VTl.jpg

Edited by frachel

I'm biased but I feel BK got a bit hosed tonight. They need to clean their show up because their visual scores are really suffering.

• Like 1

They might have but props to Regiment as well. Brass had a great run tonight and earned it. That was the difference.

Although PINK FLOYD music is very unique and should be cool for this idiom .

This is not .

Too much narration that rambles on and the Brass charts have become backround music to the narration instead of the other way around. Let the brass tell the story and the Narration mold it into place.

Unfortunately, near me there was quite a bit of audible laughter at the numerous parts of the show, especially when the "Dorothy" girl came in singing.

I didn't actually time it, but it FELT like the horns didn't even play for the first few minutes of the show.

Soo...

2002 3 Aug, Denver: Cavaliers 96.20. Highest score on date in 4 captions (BD and Cadets were in Philadelphia rather than head-to-head)

2005 5/6 Aug, Allentown: Cadets 96.225, highest score in all caption for 2 nights

2014 1 Aug, Allentown: BD 96.825, highest score in 7 captions on Friday night
Is it a record for a week before semifinals?