Allentown . . . DAY ONE!

Time to smash the 80 mark OC! So proud of this corps!

• Like 1

Weather for these shows are still very much up in the air. Looking at the situation from afar this morning, I still feel there is alot of disparity in what exactly will happen. Like Precious Roy said in the "Buy an Umbrella for DCI East" thread or http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php/topic/160374-buy-an-umbrella-for-dci-east/ NWS Philly thinks rain will be in the area from now until Sunday, just where and when will have to wait until that huge blob on the radar (Shortwave) moving up from the VA/NC/SC area gets to Allentown...which, to me, looks like the northern edge is getting eaten away by dry air.

The current forecast is a 30% chance of scattered showers and T storms after noon (daytime heating) Tonight increases to 40%. But still, scattered is the name of the game...which is better than widespread for sure.

Personally I wouldn't buy into any futurecast or forecast outside of NWS Philly at this time as they are on top of that area 24-7, but even their updates to the grids can seem behind at times, happens to all of us.

Still IMO this http://www.weather.gov/phi/ and click on Allentown, is your BEST and most accurate forecast versus weather.com, accuweather...which may be a shameless plug but it's what I feel. I know there are some decent Mets out there doing their own sites outside of those two biggies, but still, unless they are nowcasting (and have experience in doing such) the NWS will be better IMO.

So again, we wait and see what the day brings. Day time heating is already in full effect but the clouds from the Carolina SW would seem to help keep the heat off the ground threfore limiting instability in the air for today. If any cloud breaks can happen I would assume that storms would break out shortly afterwards, but still in the hit /miss variety. Tonight another SW approaches the area and will usher in moist southwest flow along with a slow moving warm front. I'm hoping this can hold out until after the show. time will tell.

I'll try and keep abreast of the radar as I know these next two nights are big for everyone.

EDIT: in the above thread, a poster said something that made me want to add this edit.

Protip: (as Precious Roy likes to call it lol) when you look at a hour-by-hour rain forecast, it's based on 1 or 2 models, models are good for both short and long term but IMO it takes more that looking at what models say to know for sure what is going to happen. Which is why you rarely see the NWS forecast 100% chance of rain until day of storm normally. From my own personal standpoint I put VERY little faith in hour-by-hour rain forecast's....I could go into it but i'll just offend ppl. I prefer to use my eyes (looking at radar and such) and current weather to make a nowcast. :satisfied:

Edited by rainshdw08

Anyone have tips on Allentown parking? Every time I have gone recently I have been on a bus. I know it's a tough situation, so any tips would be appreciated!

Park in the Philadelphia Suburbs.

Weather for these shows are still very much up in the air. Looking at the situation from afar this morning, I still feel there is alot of disparity in what exactly will happen. Like Precious Roy said in the "Buy an Umbrella for DCI East" thread or http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php/topic/160374-buy-an-umbrella-for-dci-east/ NWS Philly thinks rain will be in the area from now until Sunday, just where and when will have to wait until that huge blob on the radar (Shortwave) moving up from the VA/NC/SC area gets to Allentown...which, to me, looks like the northern edge is getting eaten away by dry air.

The current forecast is a 30% chance of scattered showers and T storms after noon (daytime heating) Tonight increases to 40%. But still, scattered is the name of the game...which is better than widespread for sure.

Personally I wouldn't buy into any futurecast or forecast outside of NWS Philly at this time as they are on top of that area 24-7, but even their updates to the grids can seem behind at times, happens to all of us.

Still IMO this http://www.weather.gov/phi/ and click on Allentown, is your BEST and most accurate forecast versus weather.com, accuweather...which may be a shameless plug but it's what I feel. I know there are some decent Mets out there doing their own sites outside of those two biggies, but still, unless they are nowcasting (and have experience in doing such) the NWS will be better IMO.

So again, we wait and see what the day brings. Day time heating is already in full effect but the clouds from the Carolina SW would seem to help keep the heat off the ground threfore limiting instability in the air for today. If any cloud breaks can happen I would assume that storms would break out shortly afterwards, but still in the hit /miss variety. Tonight another SW approaches the area and will usher in moist southwest flow along with a slow moving warm front. I'm hoping this can hold out until after the show. time will tell.

I'll try and keep abreast of the radar as I know these next two nights are big for everyone.

I wish my high school earth science teacher had been half as informative and entertaining as you. I might have almost liked it and learned something as well. Thank goodness I matured enough by the time it came to physics...

• Like 2

Woo hoo! I'm super excited! Just about to pack up my things from the hotel room in Washington, DC and head for Allentown!

Jealous. Coming to Allentown for DCI east = on my bucket list. Long way from Portlandia.

Heh. I see what you did there.

hahaha I honestly didn't even notice! Good catch!

I wish my high school earth science teacher had been half as informative and entertaining as you. I might have almost liked it and learned something as well. Thank goodness I matured enough by the time it came to physics...

Thanks!!!! Weather and Drum Corps are definetly my two passions in life! Physics...ahhh, the spice of life :)

• Like 1