Trombones. Nobody likes them.

Seriously. You're not going to get THAT type of dark sound and volume in the opening hit of SCV's show with baris. If they used baris, it would probably sound like any other generic hit in a DCI show. I like the unique sound the trombones add.

I disagree. The trombone timbre is a bit brighter than the baritone sound. True, if they used baritones it would sound like "everyone else", and it IS a unique sound .... But I'm surprised you and a couple of others refer to the sound as "dark".

• Like 2

I think they're great, especially when used right. The best use of trombone in drum corps I've seen yet is in SCV's show this year. Effective and purposeful and not just there so they can say they put the new brass rule to use(which feels like the case in pretty much all the other shows using trombones *COUGH*madison*COUGH*)

I disagree with you on this one. I think for the amount of time and work they are spending on intonation issues, especially at the end playing in G Major, it's not totally purposeful. Madison, on the other hand, have used the trombones in a way that could NOT be done on baritone.

Then you have to look at the others using french horns or euphoniums ..... could they not have used the mellophone or baritone for these solos? The answer is yes ..... it might not be as effective, and the different sound is a little unique.

I disagree with you on this one. I think for the amount of time and work they are spending on intonation issues, especially at the end playing in G Major, it's not totally purposeful. Madison, on the other hand, have used the trombones in a way that could NOT be done on baritone.

Then you have to look at the others using french horns or euphoniums ..... could they not have used the mellophone or baritone for these solos? The answer is yes ..... it might not be as effective, and the different sound is a little unique.

There's quite a difference between the sound of a mellophone and a French horn. Of course, if you're a good player, you can try to make the horn sound like a French horn.

There's quite a difference between the sound of a mellophone and a French horn. Of course, if you're a good player, you can try to make the horn sound like a French horn.

Why yes there is quite a difference ..... I don't believe I said there wasn't a difference. I was refering to using a "new" brass instrument(s) and it's overall effect.

Why yes there is quite a difference ..... I don't believe I said there wasn't a difference. I was refering to using a "new" brass instrument(s) and it's overall effect.

Personally I'm glad Cadets are using the French horn for their solo. It sounds nicer than a mello in my opinion.

Edited by Cappybara

I disagree. The trombone timbre is a bit brighter than the baritone sound. True, if they used baritones it would sound like "everyone else", and it IS a unique sound .... But I'm surprised you and a couple of others refer to the sound as "dark".

conical brass tubing will not produce the same timbre as cylindrical brass tubing. The SCV hit would be effective with either, just different.

• Like 1

conical brass tubing will not produce the same timbre as cylindrical brass tubing. The SCV hit would be effective with either, just different.

Right .... but the post was about describing the trombones giving them a darker sound than baritones. I just disagree with that .....

It's very effective BECAUSE it's a unique sound, and they play it so well. I was just surprised that someone thought it was darker ....

Trombones ,guitars amps etc are NOT Drum Corps instruments plain and simple!

• Like 2

Trombones ,guitars amps etc are NOT Drum Corps instruments plain and simple!

There are literally no instruments being used today that would qualify as drum corps instruments 75 years ago. Even the snare drums with their free floating shells and Kevlar heads. When they added the first valve, it was "the end of drum corps."

• Like 3