The TILTING in Massillon...Coats Homecoming

Phantom beat Vanguard in brass again. That's not something I had expected to happen this season.

You can tell the folks at Phantom haven't given up at all. They're making the most out of that not so great show. They probably have my 2nd favorite hornline after Crown this year. I hope to see a great turn around by them next year!

• Like 1

Another fantastic show in Massillon tonight!! Bravo to all the corps and to the Bluecoats organization and the Pro Football HOF Enshrinement Festival for sponsoring this amazing show at this amazing venue. It was nice to FINALLY get to a LIVE show. I've only seen these corps via FN.

Quick impression:

• Phantom Regiment BLEW ME AWAY!!!! Oh thank you so much for the wonderful brass line, beautiful guard, and stately and powerful show. One of my favorites of the night. Maybe they are not going to win or be top 5, but the BIG sounding brass line is back.
  • The Cadets were incredible, musically and visually. The show is magnificent, and my gripes with the last 20 seconds was somewhat made more palette-able on a live viewing. Visually this corps is STUNNING! Best marching, easily, tonight.
  • Obviously I thought Bluecoats were outstanding, especially musically. Brass and percussion is always a HALLMARK of this outstanding unit, and the percussion section is really throwing down. Visual was an issue tonight and I walked out of the stadium thinking they had also lost to SCV. I told a fellow college band director (and close personal friend) that it might have ended up Cadets then SCV, then Bluecoats and Crown. I'm not sure whether Blooo was that off or SCV that on. I will know more come Friday in Indy. The best closer, hands down, is Bluecoats end of the show. It just hits you like a ton of bricks and pull you to your feet. Fabulous ending. They just need to march that show the way they can.
  • SCV was ON FIRE tonight!!! This is the most colorful show, I thought, and the drill is impeccable. Amazing staging. The music was wonderful, although at times a bit over-arranged. Percussion is sweet, much like Coats and Cadets. There is much danger with this show now. I sense a dark horse in the making and would not be surprised to see this take 3rd, maybe even 2nd on Saturday. I'm not sure where that Carolina Crown score came from last night (and Crown is fabulous) but it was clear this is a complete package of a show. SCV may not have Crown's brass, but from my vantage point they have better drill, percussion, guard, GE, and overall design. Both Cadets and BLOOO better watch out.
  • I'm still not wild about Boston's Animal Farm show, but it's much better to see live...and the last 2 minutes are stunning!! With a stronger GE product this could have been a top 6 corps. Very talented. Tough show to pull off, but KUDOS to them tonight on a wonderful performance.
  • The Crossmen were AWESOME! This is a fun show with lots of great grooves and some old-school like percussion features. Music was a joy to listen to. The trumpet soloist was outstanding. One of the best solos on the field this year. Beautiful guard and the whole show made sense and seemed to captivate this audience tonight.
  • Carolina Crown put on another display of BEST BRASS!!! Sheesh can they play, and I continue to love their ballad and closing tune. Best part of their show. Overall their marching has come a long way. Percussion played nice tonight, and the show is presenting itself well. No doubt a solid and wonderful top 5 corps. It's so hard to judge between these top 5 (well maybe except BD who was not here tonight).

Big crowd tonight. They had to delay the show by 17 minutes because so many people were still trying to get in. Every corps received a big ovation at the end of their shows. Crowd was very enthusiastic for all corps, as they always are.

SCV had an ON night visually and Coats were OFF. The night before in Buffalo was just the opposite... it was obvious to see and obvious in the recaps.

Consistency matters... and that's what the next 48 hours is about.

Really? Like Bluecoats in their brass rectangle formation about five times throughout the show or BD in their "no drill at all" half the show?

Now... fellas...

None of what either of you are saying is remotely true about all three.

• Like 2

You can tell the folks at Phantom haven't given up at all. They're making the most out of that not so great show. They probably have my 2nd favorite hornline after Crown this year. I hope to see a great turn around by them next year!

No doubt. Phantom was ON FIRE last night. I think they have a top 4 brass line now. Incredible sound. Those of you going to Indy, be ready for Phantom brass at their best. The guard was pretty awesome, and even the percussion was solid and musical.

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 1

Phantom's sound has gotten that incredibly rich, dark, rounded ensemble quality back in the last few shows. I could give or take much of the visual design and actual selections, but listen to that sound all day long.

• Like 1

My point was anyone can "pick apart" any show. We should be happy we are experiencing a remarkable season. Those top tier corps this season are absolutely phenomenal whether you like or dislike ramps, narration, Frisbees, coat racks etc.

• Like 2

Cadets use that same form on 3 big brass hits. at least. Maybe more. what happened to the innovators of DCI ?

so maybe not so hard to get clean? Actually it really isn't but it looks impressive. There's the thing where content is less than achievement (because it is repeated in the same program)but the execution is rewarded and it affects effect.