Good Places To Eat In Indy! 2014 Edition

I've been to every DCI in Indy a few BOA's and a couple of NCAA events. The best dining experiences I have had:

• Fogo de Chao 317-638-4000, 117 East Washington Street- Brazilian BBQ, The side orders and cheeses in the buffet are incredible. The red meat eaters in our group said the meats are Awesome!
  • Tavern on South 317-602-3115, 423 West South Street- I've eaten here about 10 times. Salmon, Chilean sea bass, filet mignon, etc... All Excellent! Fresh in house made deserts! (My first meal in Indy will probably be there!)
  • St Elmo's Steak House, Weber Grill, Ruth Chris Steak House, Morton's Steak House- I've Been to all four more than twice. You probably can't go wrong here.
  • Palomino 317-974-0400, 49 West Maryland Street and Mo's A Place for Steaks 317-624-0720, 47 South Pennsylvania Street- Just as good as the above but, Better side dishes in my opinion.
  • Oceanaire Seafood Room, 317-955-2277, 39 South Meridian Street- I've never had a bad or average meal here!
  • The Food Trucks on W. Georgia St. ( Mon-Fri)- Everything I bought at the trucks were reasonably priced and delicious! I had Cajun jambalaya, BBQ chicken and tons of other stuff.
  • Turkey Legs,Corn on the Cob and Lemon Aid at the State Fair! Yum, Yum and Yum!

I travel with some hard core Foodies. All we do is talk drum corps and food. Everybody has their own favorites though.

I will be trying some of the suggestions on this thread!

Edited by boxingfred

um... I'd have to vote NO on all 7 above - you are talking chain restaurants and some very average steak

I'd recommend Cafe Patachou for breakfast - walking distance from the main hotels - quite excellent for breakfast/brunch with all day "broken egg sandwiches" and very good coffees

Nothing else I've ever had there was very special - not really a much of a food town

• Like 2

St. Elmo's is great, as is Fogo De Chao. Weber Grill is terrible.

Maxines for some kick butt soul food. Skillet fried chicken that is a religious experience

Maxine's Chicken & Waffles

132 n. East st

Indianapolis, IN

I'm going to miss Finals for the first time in nearly 3 decades due to my vacation money going to a family vacation in southern Italy (starting on 25 August) so I'm gonna miss my Maxines and St Elmos shrimp cocktail and Buca di Beppos this year :-(.

Edited by Tony Flores
  • Like 1

Yes, Fogo is a chain, but it has also become tradition for me and my group of meat eaters. Although I recently had a gout flare up, so it's the salad bar for me!

Mug N Bun 5211 W. 10th Street. Drive out near Speedway and eat at this hidden gem. It's cheap, bad for you and delicious.

http://www.mug-n-bun.com/

• Like 1

White Castle.

• Like 1

White Castle.

Oh hell yes. The line can get ridiculously long after the show though. I was out the door following sandal wearing corps members after Semis last year. Then I ordered the wrong thing. Glad this is right beside the stadium though