TOC Buffalo Wing Championships 2014

Why do so many people feel they are better able to judge than the judges?

Even if they have the necessary qualifications and intimate familiarity with the criteria (which I suspect most don't) and even if they are physically as well positioned (which I suspect most aren't) how can they possibly devote an equivilant level of attention to ALL 8-10 captions at once that EACH judge is able to devote to his or her individual caption?

I'm not sure anyone is saying that. What we (I) am saying is that the rankings and gaps are shifting wildly night to night

That's the only point I'm trying to make - some fluctuation is expected - but the last couple weeks things have been all over the place inside certain captions - as if the judges aren't all looking for the same things...

The "discrepancy" is that one is Music while the other is Visual.

I just wish they would call it GE visual and GE music like the old days. Plus would love to have more brass judges seeing that over half of the drum corps is in the hornlines.

George, I really respect you, and you have been VERY fair and objective this year, but BD, with their simply flawless technique would look just fine if you put them in neon green pants with LED light stripes down each leg. Cadets may hit their forms better, but there is simply no corps with better foot technique than BD. With all due respect. (And Cadets are very, very good too.)

While BD may be better with their feet, I think Cadets are the strongest visually. IF BD had the cream pants I don't think they would be able to hide some of the form development distortions that occur in their show. Funny it's more in the early to mid stages when the visual demand is not great, the hard stuff the last four minutes is champion caliber for sure. That angled straight line is amazing every night. Cadets look amazing all the time and still March and play the whole show. With that said I do think that BD should be winning both music and GE captions, no arguments there although that could change in a week. You never know, It's not over yet.

• Like 1

Biggest joke of the night.

Cavies clearly had a bad run tonight judging from the discrepancy between content and achievement. No doubt that they have a slightly better line than Crown. Nothing to worry about, your cavies will be back above Crown in percussion by the time finals roll around.

I just wish they would call it GE visual and GE music like the old days. Plus would love to have more brass judges seeing that over half of the drum corps is in the hornlines.

This year is a change in GE, away from the old segregated system. Both effect judges look and listen to all elements of the program, not just a music or visual focus. They are allowed to use their backgrounds in their "home" area, but are still looking and listening to everything as a whole.

This year is a change in GE, away from the old segregated system. Both effect judges look and listen to all elements of the program, not just a music or visual focus. They are allowed to use their backgrounds in their "home" area, but are still looking and listening to everything as a whole.

Which makes the discrepancies really bizarre. They need to either reduce the weight of this caption and add another brass judge or set more clear guidelines on how to judge this caption.

Which makes the discrepancies really bizarre. They need to either reduce the weight of this caption and add another brass judge or set more clear guidelines on how to judge this caption.

I'd love to see a second brass judge stationed in the box, commenting on all the stuff the field brass judge cannot, and the scores averaged like in percussion. Barring that, get the dang brass judge off the field and in the box if there's only going to be one. It's been driving me, and many other brass guys nuts for years.

I'd love to see a second brass judge stationed in the box, commenting on all the stuff the field brass judge cannot, and the scores averaged like in percussion. Barring that, get the dang brass judge off the field and in the box if there's only going to be one. It's been driving me, and many other brass guys nuts for years.

I've also been told by someone that the brass judge doesn't judge balance either. If that's actually the case, I say that should change.