TOC Buffalo Wing Championships 2014

They aren't quite "BD clean" though. But they will be.

Maybe they were tonight, but agreed that they weren't on the Allentown video. Especially the tables! But they're obviously in a position to clean every last detail in the final days.

Well, us alumni don't see them as BD-clearn. As I said....yet. Plenty of stuff to do.

This is called the fallacy of privileged information. In a nutshell, your alumni status makes your opinion more authentic.

Not true.

When did you last see them live? I saw them last night.

So did a judging panel... and they gave them champion type scores a week early.

By what precedent is that not "BD" clean?

Obviously no corps is "done" until 20s are achieved... but c'mon.

Edited by cfirwin3

I've also been told by someone that the brass judge doesn't judge balance either. If that's actually the case, I say that should change.

That's what the Music Analysis judge does...

A field level brass judge can't judge balance on the field for the entire hornline. How they have it set up now is good. GE needs some more tweaking in my opinion but just not sure what exactly.

This is called the fallacy of privileged information. In a nutshell, your alumni status makes your opinion more authentic.

Not true.

When did you last see them live? I saw them last night.

So did a judging panel... and they gave them champion type scores a week early.

By what precedent is that not "BD" clean?

Obviously no corps is "done" until 20s are achieved... but c'mon.

Saw them Friday night on FN and live Saturday.

There are plenty of things for them to do, and they are doing them. Just because they are cleaner then everyone else, doesn't mean they are as clean as they can be. But they will be. Maybe as an alum of the corps and long-time instructor in DCI and DCA I'm just more used to the process and seeing/hearing things you don't. You should check out a Devils rehearsal if you can...you'd be surprised. I'm sure if you really tried you'd start to find the little things they are working on.

Edited by Kamarag

I've also been told by someone that the brass judge doesn't judge balance either. If that's actually the case, I say that should change.

Field judges should never be evaluating balance. That would be done by the Analysis judge in the box.

Saw them Friday night on FN and live Saturday.

There are plenty of things for them to do, and they are doing them. Just because they are cleaner then everyone else, doesn't mean they are as clean as they can be. But they will be. Maybe as an alum of the corps and long-time instructor in DCI and DCA I'm just more used to the process and seeing/hearing things you don't. You should check out a Devils rehearsal if you can...you'd be surprised. I'm sure if you really tried you'd start to find the little things they are working on.

I sat through more Devils rehearsals than I can remember... including the one yesterday.

You seem to be assuming that I am saying that they have achieved absolute perfection.

Obviously I'm not saying that...

I AM saying that they don't really need to do much more in order to be what they have always been.

By saying that they aren't "BD" clean, I translate that that you are indicating that they are sub par... and this makes no sense at all.

By saying that they aren't "BD" clean, I translate that that you are indicating that they are sub par... and this makes no sense at all.

I don't think that's what John is saying at all. I saw them live Friday in Allentown, and while they are amazing, there are still some spots where forms are not perfect. Some of the block drill does not have perfect straight lines, especially when you are viewing from an angle (say, the 25 yd line vs the 50). If and when those last few forms get clean, they will be "BD Clean".

For a reference, check out the rotating box drill at the beginning of the 97 show. The block was so clean that the shadows cast by the stadium lights were a virtually perfect crosshatch of the box.

John is not bagging on BD, or calling them sub-par. He is simply stating that they are not (yet) at the level that most consider Finals-worthy BD Clean.

Not true.

Not ALWAYS true. But if you marched in a corps that astounded in every caption and set new standards and you still see and hear things that are oh so very close but not quite all the way where they need to be (and rest assured, the BD staff sees and hears these things, too), then YES his opinion can carry a little more weight than someone who has never known what that experience is like. Close enough is not their standard. Never has been. But I watched them rehearse and perform this weekend as well. I never marched BD but there are still the most minor of things they could still improve upon. They know it, too.

Anecdote: I watched BD rehearse during finals week wayyyy back in 2003. They were to the point where the staff were singling out individual members for being sharp/flat on individual notes. Not lying, this happened. Also, being out of form for a count or two during a move. I am sure they are still as precise with their instruction now.

Similarly, I watched part of Crown's rehearsal on Saturday and saw a lot of the same types of things, although there is still a long way to go visually. Specifically, while working on the ballad the first mello soloist came in a bit flat compared to the synth intro, and at one point the second trumpets were not carrying a crescendo through a three half note phrase. It's amazing the level of detail the top corps can focus on.